cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Full black water tank

tiby
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever had their black tank sucked out through the toilet?
๐Ÿ˜ž
24 REPLIES 24

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the black tank is drained and you can't get the valve closed all the way the gate valve probably has paper in it. If the tank is empty open the valve take a coat hanger make a clean out tool buy bending a small loop at one end to clean out the slot for the gate valve. Flush with water you can have a bucket under the drain valve to catch the water and carry it inside to pour down the house toilet.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

tiby
Explorer
Explorer
Ok here is what I did.
First I made an appointment at a local RV repair place (3 weeks out) just in case I failed.
A local septic tank service suggested that a pump out service for port a potties might have smaller hoses and lover suction i.e. Less chance of camper damage. I made that appointment for the next day it was about 35 mi,es from home.

I made a reservation at a close Ohio state park with dump station.
Along the way stopping at Walmart and local RV place for drain hoses and adjuncts or adapters ,snakes ,dish soap .... gloves.
After three hours of trying to open what ever was blocking from the toilet or the tank or valve.
I realized the valve did work and using an adjunct or clear plastic adapter with a fitting for back flushing the camper drain . This adapter also had a valve just like in the camper pipeline!
Using the water at the dump station I pressurized my camper drain through the adjunct with the valve shut.
To explain now I'm trying to push water into the black tank backwards for ten minutes approx constantly checking my toilet for overflow! Keep in mind my original problem was my toilet was backed up I was plugged up.

You still with me this is all in one day.

Ok I went home defeated with my camper drain tube full of water 40 miles home parked the trailer and the next morning 35 miles to th porta potty place and the drain was unblocked the porta potty place let me drain and flush the tank into a container in their parking lot.
NOW my black talk drain valve will not close completely. I'm using the appointment at the local RV place to have the drain valves replaced 2005 cougar probably a good idea.

tiby
Explorer
Explorer
Ok here is what I did.
First I made an appointment at a local RV repair place (3 weeks out) just in case I failed.
A local septic tank service suggested that a pump out service for port a potties might have smaller hoses and lover suction i.e. Less chance of camper damage. I made that appointment for the next day it was about 35 mi,es from home.

I made a reservation at a close Ohio state park with dump station.
Along the way stopping at Walmart and local RV place for drain hoses and adjuncts or adapters ,snakes ,dish soap .... gloves.
After three hours of trying to open what ever was blocking from the toilet or the tank or valve.
I realized the valve did work and using an adjunct or clear plastic adapter with a fitting for back flushing the camper drain . This adapter also had a valve just like in the camper pipeline!
Using the water at the dump station I pressurized my camper drain through the adjunct with the valve shut.
To explain now I'm trying to push water into the black tank backwards for ten minutes approx constantly checking my toilet for overflow! Keep in mind my original problem was my toilet was backed up I was plugged up.

You still with me this is all in one day.

Ok I went home defeated with my camper drain tube full of water 40 miles home parked the trailer and the next morning 35 miles to th porta potty place and the drain was unblocked the porta potty place let me drain and flush the tank into a container in their parking lot.
NOW my black talk drain valve will not close completely. I'm using the appointment at the local RV place to have the drain valves replaced 2005 cougar probably a good idea.

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
ctilsie242 wrote:
If worried about it venting, jam the toilet open when the stool bus is taking on passengers. That way, it will suck in air from both the vent, and the toilet.

Just don't back flush while you have the toilet blocked open. I was rinsing my tank once and something happened to the vent, so the tank was a bit pressurized. I made the mistake of pressing the toilet flush pedal and geysered the whole bathroom with the water that was in the toilet bowl. Fortunately we were still in the camp site so I got to bleach the bathroom and take a shower. That was not fun. I threw away all of the tooth brushes after that.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
ctilsie242 wrote:
If worried about it venting, jam the toilet open when the stool bus is taking on passengers. That way, it will suck in air from both the vent, and the toilet.

The stool bus. Love it....
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
I believe, that during the early oilfield boom in North Dakota, using a vac-truck to empty the black tank was common. The worker growth in numbers was so fast, that many rv parks were set up without sewer services. There were vac-track companies that would establish a contract, and vac your tanks on a regular schedule!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
We've had our tank pumped by a septic tank truck numerous times. The paranoia in here so often, is beyond amazing.

rockhillmanor wrote:
paulcardoza wrote:
It's a vented tank for crying out loud! It won't collapse! Sheesh.......

Just ask a professional Septic tank company. I don't make things up to post here, it is a fact. :R
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:
paulcardoza wrote:

Just ask a professional Septic tank company. I don't make things up to post here, it is a fact. :R

As said, the tank is vented and will not collapse in most cases and also the suction on the truck is variable/adjustable. If some professional moron used full suction that was enough to suck more than the vent could keep up with and collapsed a tank, well then he's a moron. It would take a heck of a lot of suction to overload an 1-1/2 vent pipe. We have had ours pumped out by Honeydippers at rallies quite a few times.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
paulcardoza wrote:

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
In theory, there should be no fear of "collapsing" the black tank by sucking the waste out, either through the toilet or through the dump valve; the roof vent should prevent that from happening. Perhaps the suction is so strong that it overpowers the ability of the roof vent?

I've had my black tank pumped (hooked up to my dump valve) a couple of times at Glamis; no issues whatsoever. That's all they (the honey wagons) do there (empty RV tanks) so perhaps they are well aware and use a reduced suction?
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan, Thanks, I was thoroughly confused. I saw this exact post on another topic on the same day, and the post (standing alone), made no sense to me. I know that we are "heavily" monitored by the PC Police, and thought that something offensive had been said, and I was " too slow" to see the offense. Thanks again for attempting to "train" me!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
#1492 Washington,DC Moderator, I fail to grasp the point of your post!! Is this topic not proper in the General RVing Issues?
Thanks in advance for your guidance

i believe the OP originally posted this in the Forum Technical Support forum and the mod had to move it to the correct forum.
the FTS forum is for issues with the RV.net website.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes