cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GRUMPY OR WHAT?

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
As foster parents we camp more than most. We love introduceing kids to camping, fishing, kayaking and the great outdoors. I understand people camp for different reasons with different perpectives. So often in the evenings we will sit at the table and play a board game or tell camp fire stories. Seems more this year we end up camping near someone who wants to play loud music or watch a movie outside with speakers super loud with no regard for others even way after quiet time. I aproach politely and does no good. Can't debate with drunks. This is super upsetting to kids who came out of drug and or alcohol abussive homes. It's just getting old. May put away the camper until after labor day. Any ideas on what can be done? Makes me sad more than grumpy
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)
58 REPLIES 58

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
FunnyCamper wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
mr. ed wrote:
...Anyhow, maybe next time those dog owners set up in a park they'll be more inclined to do something with their dog.

Somehow, I doubt that very much. They moved on, probably because management got in trouble with the law for the actions of the tenant. The management then went and confronted the tenant so THEY themselves would not get into trouble deeper. When confronted with management, they probably left angry and didn't learn anything. Next place they landed, they did the same thing.

We ran into someone who was beating and kicking (yes, I'm not kidding) their dog across the road from us when camping earlier this year. My wife (trouble maker she is... scared the bee-hee-bee-jees out of me) went running over and confronted the man and threatened to call the police on him (and she would have). He argued with her, and I do think that is the ONLY time in my life I wish I would have had my shot gun with me! (never carry a fire arm, but have them).

So she angrely returned to our camper, the dog owner chilled with the dog, his wife talked to him and he stayed away from the dog the rest of the time.... until ...

They were breaking camp (tent campers), and the last thing in the car was the dog. He grabbed the dog by the rope, yanked him, the dog yelped, and literally drug the dog and threw it in the car! We were mortified. He drove out of the campsite, spun his tires, and give us "the finger!".... really! We were shocked at such behavior!

Nah, mr.ed, they didn't learn anything. They just moved on.

I saw a neighbor kick his dog across the living room once. I didn't say a word. I simply waited until he left the dog alone, then I grabbed the dog and took it to a shelter. It was easier to save dogs from abusive owners before microchips...

hope ya got a NO kill shelter ๐Ÿ™‚

Exactly what I was thinking but I said nothing.

Hundreds if not thousands of pets are put to death each year in shelters that aren't really shelters at all. just places where unwanted and abused pets are disposed of.

Humans, unlike domesticated animals have the ability to rationalize and put in perspective their ability to play God with lesser creatures.

Over the years we have taken in (and found homes) for dozens of dogs and cats, in fact my constant companion (right beside me, right now, was discarded in the middle of a busy highway. She's been my buddy for over 10 years now. She's blind and diabetic but she's happy and I believe in letting her live her life to the fullest extent. She will tell me when it's time to move on... all domesticated animals do... and that is certainly not a kill shelter.

No, I'm not a PETA person. In fact I hunt for meat regularly. if I'm not going to eat it, I don't shoot it.

Um, yes. ?
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
FunnyCamper wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
mr. ed wrote:
...Anyhow, maybe next time those dog owners set up in a park they'll be more inclined to do something with their dog.

Somehow, I doubt that very much. They moved on, probably because management got in trouble with the law for the actions of the tenant. The management then went and confronted the tenant so THEY themselves would not get into trouble deeper. When confronted with management, they probably left angry and didn't learn anything. Next place they landed, they did the same thing.

We ran into someone who was beating and kicking (yes, I'm not kidding) their dog across the road from us when camping earlier this year. My wife (trouble maker she is... scared the bee-hee-bee-jees out of me) went running over and confronted the man and threatened to call the police on him (and she would have). He argued with her, and I do think that is the ONLY time in my life I wish I would have had my shot gun with me! (never carry a fire arm, but have them).

So she angrely returned to our camper, the dog owner chilled with the dog, his wife talked to him and he stayed away from the dog the rest of the time.... until ...

They were breaking camp (tent campers), and the last thing in the car was the dog. He grabbed the dog by the rope, yanked him, the dog yelped, and literally drug the dog and threw it in the car! We were mortified. He drove out of the campsite, spun his tires, and give us "the finger!".... really! We were shocked at such behavior!

I saw a neighbor kick his dog across the living room once. I didn't say a word. I simply waited until he left the dog alone, then I grabbed the dog and took it to a shelter. It was easier to save dogs from abusive owners before microchips...

Exactly what I was thinking but I said nothing.

Hundreds if not thousands of pets are put to death each year in shelters that aren't really shelters at all. just places where unwanted and abused pets are disposed of.

Humans, unlike domesticated animals have the ability to rationalize and put in perspective their ability to play God with lesser creatures.

Over the years we have taken in (and found homes) for dozens of dogs and cats, in fact my constant companion (right beside me, right now, was discarded in the middle of a busy highway. She's been my buddy for over 10 years now. She's blind and diabetic but she's happy and I believe in letting her live her life to the fullest extent. She will tell me when it's time to move on... all domesticated animals do... and that is certainly not a kill shelter.

No, I'm not a PETA person. In fact I hunt for meat regularly. if I'm not going to eat it, I don't shoot it.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
mr. ed wrote:

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP life is to be dealt with and I understand your sympathy and pain towards this but other's lives, do as they please within reason can not be your concern on how your family reacts. Sorry but no go on this for me cause not every single person in the world will 'do right' by your family and its' needs. There are needs of others and if not legally unfounded then the moan is worthless. Life is to be dealt with and not hidden from those that must cope thru it.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
mr. ed wrote:
Way to go, Toadtoes! :C

Thanks! I grew up with animal rescuers, so I learned the tricks early.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Way to go, Toadtoes! :C
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
mr. ed wrote:

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
mr. ed wrote:

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Some years ago I was staying at an RV park in Elk City, OK. The owner of an RV right across from me kept his dog tied to his rig. He/she would leave the animal tied there day and night while they went elsewhere (I suppose a friend or neighbor looked after it while they were gone).

I had no objections during the day because I was usually elsewhere but at night the animal would carry on with barking and whimpering. Since the managers weren't available late at night I had no recourse but to call the local police and complain. A day or two later, the offending RV was gone.

I generally have a lot of tolerance, but there are occasions where I need to act. I wondered how many other RVers nearby were also annoyed and if they complained, did anyone listen? Anyhow, maybe next time those dog owners set up in a park they'll be more inclined to do something with their dog.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
I have a father-in-law that would stand in a very noticeable place and sneer at the offending parties.....LOL, never worked. I told him for years that he is only ruining his good time not theirs. We have run across this many times, however there is only once that stood out as really affecting our stay (drunks way past curfew). But, realistically I've found that most places quiet down at curfew...or close to it. I say MOST places. We tend to not worry what the others are doing, hell as far as I know this could be their only release from months of grinding away trying to make a living. Anyway, I hear what you're saying but for the most part the nonsense (to You) quiets down at a reasonable hour. When we are looking for piece and quiet, we search out parks with little to no amenities as it tends to attract more nature lovers than party's.

siamese
Explorer
Explorer
I found this post interesting, and was thinking about posting a similar query. The answers sound good, and consistent. Avoid this type of campground.

Noisy rudeness always astounds me. A lot of people need to be noticed and heard. Loud cars, loud motorcycles, loud boats, loud music, and loud talk. People!....we don't want to listen to you!!!!

If I had posted on this subject, my question was going to be:
When you have a noisy neighbor, do you ask them to be quiet, and do they comply?

Uh, huh, like I don't already know the answer. It becomes a confrontation, and you are labeled as the jerk. And the rest of your stay is uncomfortable with glares or worse from the real jerks.

My wife and I are getting back into camping after a 14 year hiatus. We went North on our first, practice weekend, and stayed at a popular campsite in a touristy area. It was pretty good, but next door the guy got drunk, and from 10pm to midnight or later, every two minutes or so, he'd break out in wild laughter. Oh, yeah, just try to sleep.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oasisbob wrote:
As foster parents we camp more than most. We love introduceing kids to camping, fishing, kayaking and the great outdoors. I understand people camp for different reasons with different perpectives. So often in the evenings we will sit at the table and play a board game or tell camp fire stories. Seems more this year we end up camping near someone who wants to play loud music or watch a movie outside with speakers super loud with no regard for others even way after quiet time. I aproach politely and does no good. Can't debate with drunks. This is super upsetting to kids who came out of drug and or alcohol abussive homes. It's just getting old. May put away the camper until after labor day. Any ideas on what can be done? Makes me sad more than grumpy

You should be able to find places away from that. In my area, at least, you can.

That being said. The kids will have to accept that fact that everyone is different and they are going to bump into people like this for the rest of their lives.

I've been both. Sometimes I go camping with party friends and like to have a good time. Sometimes I like it quiet. I am just a weekend camper and am used to my local area so I Know just the right park to go to depending on my mood.

Ask the locals where is the best place for campers like yourselves. They will help you find the right place.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Feel bad for the OP but it's human nature in general. Ever meet someone loud and rude at the grocery store or on the road? Same folks go camping.
But generally the further from civilization you get, the less loud mouths. I don't recall any bad experiences camping.....although usually if there's some folks drinking their faces off I head over for a while......free beer!

We were "those people" when we were kids though. I recall (not much of lol) 1 trip where my buddy fell out of a tree and messed himself up but what got us kicked out was when the Ranger pulled up, someone tossed a can of corn in the roaring campfire and we got the Ranger to stand right there and talk to us long enough that that can blew sky high with him about 5' from the fire pit!

It's always good to remember when we were young. Some of us weren't perfect and of course idiot oil was also involved. Did I mention that I'm lucky to be alive. Oh the stories! ๐Ÿ™‚

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Feel bad for the OP but it's human nature in general. Ever meet someone loud and rude at the grocery store or on the road? Same folks go camping.
But generally the further from civilization you get, the less loud mouths. I don't recall any bad experiences camping.....although usually if there's some folks drinking their faces off I head over for a while......free beer!

We were "those people" when we were kids though. I recall (not much of lol) 1 trip where my buddy fell out of a tree and messed himself up but what got us kicked out was when the Ranger pulled up, someone tossed a can of corn in the roaring campfire and we got the Ranger to stand right there and talk to us long enough that that can blew sky high with him about 5' from the fire pit!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold