cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brakes on single axle trailer

dirtrlr
Explorer
Explorer
This may sound like a 'newbie' question, but hear me out... I've been pulling large trailers (dual axles with brakes) for 20+ years, never pulling a small trailer. I picked up a small HTT (18 foot, single axle) for a friend yesterday, pulling it behind my F350. When I inspected the trailer I saw it clearly has brakes, and a break-away switch, so I was surprised when I connected the trailer to my truck that my brake controller didn't see any brakes. The previous owner said the trailer brakes were only for the break-away (he called it an emergency brake) and that they didn't provide any braking while underway. That's doesn't make sense to me, but since my rig wouldn't have any problem towing/stopping such a small trailer, I went ahead and towed it to my friend's location.

The trailer is a 2007 Starcraft XP (18RB). Does anyone have experience with this type of setup? Is there really such a thing as "emergency brakes only," or do I need to have the wiring inspected?
Brian Wood
'87 24' Calay (by Kit) Travel Trailer
'94 F350 Crew Cab, x-bed, 4x4 workhorse
XR400 for me, various smaller XR's for my 3 sons!
9 REPLIES 9

dirtrlr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I cleaned the connectors on the umbilical cord (emery cloth and contact cleaner), then re-positioned the blades to make sure they were seating properly, then applied dielectric grease, and viola, controller sees the brakes! I appreciate your confirming feedback that the brakes must indeed be working (are are supposed to slow the vehicle), giving me the impetus to track things down further. Nice to know I wasn't crazy (well, at least regarding this). Happy trailering!
Brian Wood

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
dirtrlr wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
...If trailer brakes didn't work when connected to truck then they are not going to work in an 'emergency' when pin is pulled...same wiring/braking system.

Thanks, Old-Biscuit. However, regarding the above quote, the break-away switch works and the brakes lock up when the pin is pulled, so the brakes do indeed work and are getting power, just not through the controller from the truck. I do believe there's something wrong with the wiring from the 7-pin back to the trailer, as the brake controller in my truck sees the brakes on my other trailers (so I don't believe it's the controller), just not this one. Weird.

Then the problem S/B easier to locate..trailer plug/umbilical cord

Emergency brake switch wiring ties in afterwards
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dirtrlr
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
...If trailer brakes didn't work when connected to truck then they are not going to work in an 'emergency' when pin is pulled...same wiring/braking system.

Thanks, Old-Biscuit. However, regarding the above quote, the break-away switch works and the brakes lock up when the pin is pulled, so the brakes do indeed work and are getting power, just not through the controller from the truck. I do believe there's something wrong with the wiring from the 7-pin back to the trailer, as the brake controller in my truck sees the brakes on my other trailers (so I don't believe it's the controller), just not this one. Weird.
Brian Wood

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
That Starcraft XP 18RB has a GVWR 3500# and has 10" electric brakes so therefore the brakes are for stopping the trailer and S?B functional when connected to tow vehicle via 7 pin umbilical cord.

Emergency braking would be in addition to normal braking function.
Emergency braking when pin gets pulled ....trailer battery then supplies DC Voltage to trailer brakes otherwise with pin inserted DC Voltage for trailer brakes would be supplied via tow vehicle brake controller

If trailer brakes didn't work when connected to truck then they are not going to work in an 'emergency' when pin is pulled...same wiring/braking system

Trailer brakes could be way out of adjustment, worn-out, broken wiring, bad magnets etc
But your brake controller should have acknowledged trailer brakes....something is wrong
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
No not me.

dirtrlr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the quick responses. Yes, it's a 7-pin connector. I haven't pulled the break-away to test that yet, but will today. Regardless, I'm really just wondering whether anyone's ever heard of the brakes only being used for break-away and not for regular stopping power.
Brian Wood

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Does it have a seven pin plug?
Is it over 1500 lbs?
I would think if it has brakes that they would be used for both stopping and emergency brakes.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If it had a 7 pin plug I can see no reason not to have the brakes connected to it. But I suppose for that small of a trailer they could have only connected the emergency breakaway circuit.

You could try to check the plug wiring to see if pin 2 is wired to anything.

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
You should be able to hear the magnets if it's like most trailers. They give off a little buzz when connected. Hard to explain the sound but if you plug in the seven way to the truck go back and listen at the wheels you will hear them. Also pull the break away switch if they lock up you know that part is working at any rate. If they don't lock something is amiss.