cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof maintenance 2009 Cambria

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Getting ready for a 2 week solo trip to some drag races. Went on top to scrub and inspect the roof. I cranked up theTV antenna and was surprised at how much the roof coating has faded. It also has some black stuff stuck to it that must be sap or something. Other than the fact that the coating has faded,what should be done if anything to the roof. I looked at all seams around skylights etc. and whatever they pour around them to seal them looks good.
4 REPLIES 4

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Like others have posted if its fiberglass , a simple wash.
Careful using strong chemicals to wash the roof as it will streak the sides as it runs off the roof down the sides.
Even using Dawn dish soap for instance will strip away any wax you may have on the sides.
For sap/road tare ? block off around it then use either WD40 or other recommended cleaner/remover let it soak in abit and clean the spots.

Get down and look close at the front and rear caps, the sealant at the rounded corners.The sealant down the top side of the awning mounting.

All 4 corners (front and rear caps) of our 2011 Aspect the sealant was split, I scraped off the old sealant and resealed . Along with the Awning mounting bracket lip several places the length of it were split.

Check the side moldings especially up high.

Should have a slide or two ? Lube the rubber seals for the slides both inside and out with dry lube along with the rubber/foam seal around the slides themselves that butts up against the side of the MH when closed.
Lube the slid track and bushings with slide dry lube.
Lube the coach door seal , then clean and lube the little rubber insulators on the screen door that closes up against the door.

Go around , open up all the outside compartments lube the compartment door seals with the same dry lube for rubber

Check the sealant around everything some say it should still be pliable' as in you should be able to push your thumb nail into it , if it hard may want to scrap and reseal ?

Also if yours is equipped with a satellite dish and or wind up antenna there are spots there as well to both reseal and lube the gears for smoother operation.

Ours is a fiberglass roof I used a soft bristle brush with a long handle, hosed down the whole roof getting rid of the loose dirt etc. Then did about a 2X2 section at a time using a good quality car wash soap , scrubbed it then used my cheap HF electric pressure washer to spray it off, so on till it was done. Came out pretty good .

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think that it's painted, only gelcoat.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
pauldub wrote:
Fiberglass or rubber? My Winnie has a fiberglass roof and I just wash it once a year.

I had to look it up, they have one piece fiberglass roofs. So the white coating must be paint?

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Fiberglass or rubber? My Winnie has a fiberglass roof and I just wash it once a year.