cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving Panama City beach then where?

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone. We've been in pcb for few days and have been enjoying. However now we have urge to see some mountains and some peace and quiet. What's everyone's thoughts for way back to Ohio? Smoky mountains? chatahoochie mountains? more creeks, waterfalls, and mountain views the better.
8 REPLIES 8

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
We're at whispering pines in morganton ga. Beautiful and cool!

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
If you are not there yet, I can recommended Black Rock Mountain State Park in Georgia, on US23 north of Clayton, GA (road going to Franklin, NC. BRMt is a campground on TOP of a mountain, about 3400 ft elevation. The entrance road is steep and winding, but my friend with his Dodge 3500/Avion 30ft TT has no issues, just go slow enough to be able to stop if you encounter someone in a curve. Campground is nice, with a number of spaces that will handle your rig, I was there last week with my friend and we really enjoyed it. Great place to base out of sightseeing in GA and NC, nothing is very far away.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I can recommend 441 with a stop in Waynesville NC. Nice CGs there and close to Asheville and the Biltmore Estate. If you have never been there you might consider a visit.

A word of caution on 441 and Cherokee NC....its quite "hilly" and has some pretty good grades and turns. I also caution you if you think you can go through the Smoky Mountain National Park on 441. If you are not experienced at true mountain driving while towing then DO NOT GO THAT WAY. Its steep and twisty....first up....then down. I see RV's with burned up brakes every time I go through there. I-40 out of Waynesville is the way around it and that's still hilly through the "gorge" but not daunting. You can handle it.

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! We are spending a few days in morganton at whispering pines. Will look at the map and see how to pull off your suggestions.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Head up toward NE Georgia. Chances are if you choose the shortest route you will go through Atlanta. I might head toward the east and catch Eufaula toward I-75 and go north that way. (I dislike I-185 to I-85 to Atlanta road and traffic immensely) Head up I-75 to Macon then US129 to Athens. US129 can take you toward Vogel as wowens suggested, but that road is under heavy rebuild from Jefferson the Gainesville and is a mess at times. A larger rig is difficult to maneuver in Vogel, but the area is beautiful.
Or, in Athens catch US441 north. This will run all the way to NC and Tennessee. There is a tremendous amount of mountains to see between Athens and Tennessee however. Moccasin Creek SP is just off that route (turn in Clayton toward Hiawassee) River Bend CG on the banks of Hiawassee River in Hiawassee, Ga.
On 441 N of Clayton is River Vista (Dillard address) with cabins and RV sites.
441 will take you through Franklin NC and into Cherokee (MANY CG there) and up through Smokey Mtn Nat park. Several CGs in the park but not a lot of FHU.
Of course our favorite area is N Georgia and the mountains in the area around Helen, Cleveland, Clayton, Blairsville, Hiawassee, Murphy NC and that area.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Vogel State Park in for GA is really nice. Lots of good hiking in the area. Cloudland Canyon SP is also nice, and would be more on your way.

North of Chattanooga is Fall Creek Falls SP, its really nice, lots of water falls.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
edatlanta wrote:
I'm hosting at St. Andrews State Park in PCB right now. You don't need to leave yet. The summer is just getting started and it gets much quieter here when school starts.

hello! St Andrews is beautiful. we took a drive through and did some snorkeling on the jetty. we planned on 10 days here and few days somewhere on the way home. were going to change that to 7 days here and maybe 5 or 6 days in the mountains. we are looking at northern Georgia right now. LOL I think we are just tired of PCB traffic. The noise at night isn't so good either but thats just where we are staying. otherwise the beaches are great and foods been good too.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I'm hosting at St. Andrews State Park in PCB right now. You don't need to leave yet. The summer is just getting started and it gets much quieter here when school starts.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010