cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dolly tow

Davion206
Explorer
Explorer
Opinion please....we are looking at buying a class c....brand and size not yet determined....question is towing with a dolly? We already own a Ford Escape and it cannot be towed four down. Do you tow with a dolly?
2018 Coachmen Leprechaun 260ds
2016 Colorado 4x4
Ed and Joyce and Luci Lou
8 REPLIES 8

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your Escape is 2WD (FWD) then you can dolly it. If it is AWD (4WD) then you can't.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck on the downsizing! When we ordered our MH in November, we traded in our TT. We had to unload everything from the TT into our garage while we waited a few months for delivery. Sold a bunch of stuff we didn't even know we had.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

Davion206
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your replys....for several years we have pulled TT and 5th wheels....getting older and thinking a small motor home might be best for us. We head out tomorrow to begin our search....not sure we can find one we like,..our 40ft fiver has us spoiled with its storage....not sure I can get DH to down size enough....
2018 Coachmen Leprechaun 260ds
2016 Colorado 4x4
Ed and Joyce and Luci Lou

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
We tow with a Demco SS. Great dolly but heavy. I think ours may be close to 700lbs with the stone guard. Our car weighs about 3300lbs. We know it's back there every time we pull a grade! (Our C is powered by a GM 6.0.)

Gary

tobydad
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using a tow dolly for the last five years. It is a Master Tow with surge brakes that I bought used. The only problem that I encountered on the 1st use was the bottom of the front bumper made contact with the ramps. I had to bolt half inch plywood to the ramps for clearance. No problems after that. I think the problem is the dolly has 16 inch wheels and short ramps so the incline is steep. Newer dollies may not have this problem. You must line up the wheels and then proceed up the ramps slowly to the stops. Once set on the dolly put the straps on tight, put the gear shift in park and release the parking brake. Check straps at every rest stop as they tend to loosen up.

Llibnmap
Explorer
Explorer
We towed a 2008 Escape behind our 06 MH E450 Class C for 2 years with an Amce EZ tow dolly with no problems. Check out thier web site lots of information there.

Bill

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Also look at the different types of tow dolls.
I like the type made by Demco.

Dusty

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Can your escape be towed on a dolly ? Is it FWD or AWD ?
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect