cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hellwig helper. Springs

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
My 2006 coach came from Jayco with these helper Springs. (greyhawk 31SS)

But I read that on the newer jayco's with "J Ride" these rear helper springs were not adjusted correctly. I checked the distance from the helper springs to the reg spring pack and it's about 4 inches. Is this correct?
Proud father of a US Marine
4 REPLIES 4

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
My coach rides a bit tail high also. But I think some of that is due to the stock front Ford suspension and 11 year old components

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
suprz wrote:
He stated that if the coach leaned to one side or the other when the tanks were full to adjust that sides helper springs more to try and even out the coach.

From what I read on Hellwig's site, their helpers provide side-to-side "load leveling" which makes sense, since front-to-rear leveling would imply going above the rated capacity of the springs and axle.

We sit a little tail-high, so help definitely not needed at the rear. The side-to-side seems right or close to it. A full black tank would load the right side down, but we don't run with it full anyway.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
Curious issue... I tried to look up some official (as from Hellwig) install instructions and didn't find them. Hellwig is easy enough to call, and they have a tech support shop. There are also a few YouTube videos. My curious part... Our used 2003 Escapade 31A, had a Hellwig Warranty Card in the owner's manual pack. But no designation what the warranty was for... No Hellwig parts visible. Years later, I noticed the Brochure said 31A came with Hellwig Helper Springs. Went back again, and looked. No trace of such. No Springs, No Brackets, No Marks. I can only presume they were either installed and later removed, or ...never actually installed...

Called and left a message for tech support at hellwig to call me. I just got a call back from a person called Kevin. He was very polite and knowledgeable. He explained to me that based on the weights i gave him that were from the factory, that my helper springs could still be adjusted another 1 - 1 1/2 inches. For max weight support. He said if i went to 2 Inches from the helper spring to the ford spring pack, that would be putting the helper springs at their maximum. He stated that if the coach leaned to one side or the other when the tanks were full to adjust that sides helper springs more to try and even out the coach. (Luckily i dont have that problem) so it would seem that my springs like most of the newer Jayco coaches were NOT adjusted properly for the coach once the full weight was on the chassis. He said that there is no special procedure involved in adjusting the springs, just take the locking nuts off, and tighten the other bolts until the spring is the desired length from the ford spring pack, then put the locking nuts back on, and make sure you do both sides the same, unless your coach leans, then adjust each side as necessary

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Curious issue... I tried to look up some official (as from Hellwig) install instructions and didn't find them. Hellwig is easy enough to call, and they have a tech support shop. There are also a few YouTube videos. My curious part... Our used 2003 Escapade 31A, had a Hellwig Warranty Card in the owner's manual pack. But no designation what the warranty was for... No Hellwig parts visible. Years later, I noticed the Brochure said 31A came with Hellwig Helper Springs. Went back again, and looked. No trace of such. No Springs, No Brackets, No Marks. I can only presume they were either installed and later removed, or ...never actually installed...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB