cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flat towing Focus

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2003 Itasca 30 footer with the V-10. Presently flat towing a Chevy Sonic (2700 lbs) and thinking of going a bit larger to flat towing a Ford Focus hatchback (around 3000 lbs.). Wondering if the 300-400 lb. increase will be noticed. I know we will have to go from no braking on the Sonic to braking for the Ford. Wondering if the V-10 will be up to the task in mountains, etc.? Do you have to disconnect the battery cable or anything with the Focus, auto. trans? Have seen similar MH towing much heavier vehicles but that doesn't mean it's a good idea?
Jayco-noslide
3 REPLIES 3

the2sharps
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 2015 Ford Focus Titanium 4 down with the 2.0L engine behind a 32' Class C E450. The transmission functions like an automatic but it is actually a manual transmission that is controlled by electronic clutches. It has a keyless ignition system. To tow I (1) push the ignition button, (2)push the brake peddle and (3) shift the transmission selector to Neutral, the display tells me the transmission is ready, (4) push the ignition button again. The last step is to (5) disconnect the negative battery cable. I put a battery switch on the negative cable to make the disconnect easy.
Gary and Cindy
2 Chihuahuas - Jack and Joe
2012 Fleetwood Jamboree 31M
2015 Ford Focus

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
what does the focus owner's manual say about towing 4 down?
bumpy

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
What year Focus?
Here's the 2017 Dinghy Towing Guide that may help:
http://prodcontent.s3.amazonaws.com/motorhomemagazine.com/2017DinghyGuide.pdf
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi