cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended warranty - is it worth it

lfrese
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at purchasing a class C motorhome - 2008 with about 30k miles on it. Warranty ranges from $1500 to $3200 bumper to bumper for 48 mos. I kind of feel like 48mos on a 2008 with 30k miles on it isnt that good of a deal since it still has a lot of life on it - and isnt the chassis still under warranty at that point?

Anybody have any experience with these either way?
46 REPLIES 46

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
klutchdust wrote:

And YOU never will either.

Consumer Reports: 72% of extended warranties are never used"

That gives the sellers of the product "peace of mind"?

they are happy and I am happy. sounds like a win-win situation to me.
and you don't want to hear my opinion of consumer deports.
bumpy

No, I don't.

Moving along............:R

Interesting piece written by Dave Ramsey:
" Recently, Consumer Reports surveyed 8,000 of its readers about warranties and discovered that 65% of them spent significantly more for the new car warranty than they got back in repair savings. That means, with no debt and an emergency fund, you can afford to fix what goes wrong with your vehicle without buying this rip-off."

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:

they are happy and I am happy. sounds like a win-win situation to me.
and you don't want to hear my opinion of consumer deports.
bumpy

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
klutchdust wrote:

Also, I would be interested to see how many people that have purchased warranties had repairs that exceeded the cost of their warranty . Many repairs even the 1500 dollar ones are under a warranty that cost twice or 3 times that much.
Under warranty and on the ....

what difference does it make? I buy insurance/warranties/etc. for peace of mind........ I haven't collected on my life insurance yet either.
bumpy

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
lfrese wrote:
2008 with about 30k miles on it. and isnt the chassis still under warranty at that point?

Are you serious? A ten year old vehicle with a factory warranty?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:

Also, I would be interested to see how many people that have purchased warranties had repairs that exceeded the cost of their warranty . Many repairs even the 1500 dollar ones are under a warranty that cost twice or 3 times that much.
Under warranty and on the ....

what difference does it make? I buy insurance/warranties/etc. for peace of mind........ I haven't collected on my life insurance yet either.
bumpy

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
Bordercollie wrote:
I wonder if there is a way to compare honesty of current RV extended warranty companies and ease of making claims without hassles/loophole problems. It may be that there are some that are honest nowadays. Some will honor an initial claim but will not honor subsequent claims without a hassle. It's similar to trying to find out how quickly and satisfactorily a given RV dealer will take care of after-sale fixes of factory defects.

Under warranty and on the road you still have to search out a repair shop that will honor your request. and wait for the repair,how this gives piece of mind IDK. Self insuring ,on some of these items, you could simply pull into a campsite or truck stop etc and call a mobile service, and be on your way.
Be safe out there......

I know for a fact that the two times i have brought my Rv into the repair place that the costs totaled more than 2000.00 with parts and labor. So it has more than paid for itself. Could I have done the repairs myself? Absolutely.. But for me, not having to do major work on my RV is "priceless".... And about where to go to get work done, etc.... these are things that fall upon the consumer to research on. Heck, before i brought my RV in for the AC repair, i called the warranty company before I had anything done and got the approval in an email... And I keep my warranty booklet in the RV at all times
Proud father of a US Marine

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bordercollie wrote:
I wonder if there is a way to compare honesty of current RV extended warranty companies and ease of making claims without hassles/loophole problems. It may be that there are some that are honest nowadays. Some will honor an initial claim but will not honor subsequent claims without a hassle. It's similar to trying to find out how quickly and satisfactorily a given RV dealer will take care of after-sale fixes of factory defects.

Under warranty and on the road you still have to search out a repair shop that will honor your request. and wait for the repair,how this gives piece of mind IDK. Self insuring ,on some of these items, you could simply pull into a campsite or truck stop etc and call a mobile service, and be on your way.
Be safe out there......

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, they are worth it! Mine has a $50.00 copay PER VISIT. NOT per repair. Last year had the A/C replaced and a new door lock mechanism replaced. Old A/C was a Carrier model no longer made, with the remote control. Had to get a conversion kit to make the new Coleman A/C work with the remote. Took them 5 hours labor to do the A/C and 1 hour for the door lock. Both covered under warranty.... My cost $50.00. Labor rate was 129.00 per hour. My warranty cost 1400.00 at time of purchase. 5 year warrany that I can get again when this one runs out cause im grandfathered in. My rv is a 2006 Jayco Greyhawk 31ss. I don't think i would be eligible for this warranty due to age now. That's why I will renew it when the time comes.
Proud father of a US Marine

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
stargirl96 wrote:
Well, did they approve payment of your claim?

Ok long story
To not read it yes they did pay BUT I had to pay too.

While driving down the road a noise came in at 57 MPH sounded like street tires were taken off and aggressive mud and snow tires cupped bad put on kind of noise !
Speed up the noise went away at 64 mph.

The shop test drove to verify noise and verify trans leak.

The trans leak was the tail shaft seal.
The noise , once they aired up the rear air bags to 80 PSI, road test again noise gone.
Noise was caused by the rear leaf springs were weak is de-arched a word ? putting the drive-line at an angle causing the noise.

So the extended warranty , covers the trany leak "seal".
It also covers the rear leaf springs under suspension.

Now comes the "gotcha part" of the extended warranty.

Last page under "exclusions" paragraph subsection F. last line 3rd word from the end they don't cover "access" to a covered part.
BAM right there gotcha !!

They covered the trans leak and covered the leaf springs.Les my deductible.

BUT I had to pay for "access" on removing the drivers side leaf spring.
Storage compartment on coach is right in the way of the rear bolt on the leaf spring . That storage comp is actually the enclosed grey tank.

I called the extended warranty and tried to reason with them.
They would not budge, the shop however did work with me.

Like I said before READ THE FINE PRINT..

Before anyone says why didn't I read it first.
I bought the MH from a private party , they had just purchased the extended warranty and part of the deal on buying the MH they transferred the extended warranty into our name.
I never had an opportunity to read the contract paperwork until the Extended Warranty sent me the contract in the mail.
Previous owner said they bought the top of the line contract that was offered to them, was told it covered most everything.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Extended warranty - is it worth it"

Only if you have to use it, if you Never need it, it's not worth spit.
Mine has more than paid for it's self, glad I had it.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our rig new, and bought the warranty after the "closer" cut the warranty price in half, we didn't get the policy document to read the exclusions and pre-requisites, loopholes, etc. until weeks after taking delivery of the rig. Insist on a copy of the full policy document and don't sign up for warranty until you have had a chance to read it over. I believe our warranty was by Western "something".

stargirl96
Explorer
Explorer
Well, did they approve payment of your claim?

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't read through all 4 pages ! So kick me if this has been brought up!

Get the extended warranty paper work out , read the fine print , there are loop holes through out the whole thing .
Some of the writing of them you'd have to be a lawyer or rocket scientist to comprehend just was is and isn't covered (excuses not to cover)
Section 12 line B subsection 2A insert excuse why they won't cover a claim ________.

We bought a used 2011 Winni Aspect from a private party a couple months back, they had just purchased an extended warranty for it 3 months before they sold the RV to us.
Part of the deal , they had it transferred to us.
I got the paperwork in the mail including the extended warranty booklet.
Right off the bat in bold letters it states Oil and Filter"s" Yes that's Filter with an S Must be changed within 30 days of warranty goes into effect.
They got the oil and filter change along with the air filter changed , so cleared that one.

Next up I was underneath it installing the anti sway bars, shocks and noticed the tail shaft of the transmission,trans mount and cross member wet NOT dripping yet, but wet , we'll see if the extended warranty will pay for it.
Because once again in bold letters Transmission Must be Serviced every 3 years or 30k miles. well its an 2011 model with 14K miles on it.

I'll be taking it in next week , we'll see if they deny the claim ! Hope not.

Oh and they paid $3699.00 for the extended warranty 5 years 60k miles.