cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailers on the road today

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
We did a run to the cabin and back this last weekend (normally do not travel weekends as that is for the worker bees).
I didn't have my railer so was going around 80 for the 2 1/2 hour run.
I was impressed with about 80% of those traveling that 1. were doing about 65mph. 2. Were properly running with the correct TV (my guess). 3. Had the truck and trailer adjusted for proper leveling for towing. We only witnessed 2 trailers with blown tires, one a 5er and one really old 25 footer.

We also witnessed a few pop-ups that no one ever had washed as they were totally green.

I will say the the rigs I saw that were the worst were from our state and likely local.

Why do I bring this stuff up? Just to remind some that checking tires is important and driving at a reasonable speed is good for you and your family. It worries me to see those that do not understand that the several thousand pounds of trailer can do real damage if not respected.

Happy Trails to all this season.

see you on the road shortly.

Tomman.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.
44 REPLIES 44

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
As I mentioned earlier all this is interesting rhetoric and opinion but the fact is people rarely drive in a manner "they" feel is unsafe or uncomfortable. They drive the way they think they should drive and probably have driven that way for years without incident. As long as their driving is legal they will continue.

You and I might complain about the way a person sets up his rig, how much he chooses to overload his TV, the amount of fish tail they ignore and the speed they are traveling at but unless one can prove they are in violation of some law they are perfectly legal and we can only shake our heads.

My opinion of safe driving means nothing to the next person.

As for braking, tow vehicles have brakes, trailers have brakes. Anyone who thinks they can stop their rig as fast as they can stop their tow vehicle alone is in for a rude awakening. 🙂

Be safe.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Couple of points, unless you are a trucker it is unlikely you have towed as much as me. Several thousand miles in a year and for 50 years.

With over 1.2 million miles in a 11+ year period pulling heavy GN flatdecks/enclosed trailers legally as a owner/operator (LTL work) with a dot number using 3/4 but mostly one ton DRW trucks in a eight state area .....plus hauling three truck campers and pulling three 5th wheel rvs since the late '60s, I would say you sure must tow a lot.

I have three 250k mile company safe driver awards issued to contractors for no tickets of any kind or breaking any company driver operational rules.
I'm all for safety also ....but I'm wise enough to know my limitations and not judgemental towards others pulling a trailer slower or faster or different than I do.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
siamese wrote:
To paraphrase George Carlin, 'anyone going slower than you is a moron, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac'.

I miss George Carlin. His observations were spot on.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Like everyone else on this thread, I too observe rigs, tow vehicles, lash-ups and things like that. Since I worked in an RV Shop for many years, I am particularly interested in lash-ups. I am very much an advocate for W.D. hitches. I am amazed by two things: Rigs without W.D. Hitches. And even more amazed by a lash-up that has a W.D. Hitch that is not setting level. One of my buddies was telling me that his 29' trailer, hooked to his hefty 1/2 ton(I'm not a fan of that)is not level. Always nose heavy on the trailer. I told him what he needed to measure and adjust and he was stunned how much better his rig towed. Seems that there is a lot of "just bolt it together and go, it's supposed to be right" happening out there.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
I guess from my point of view, you would be a part of the problem and not what I would like seeing coming up on me in my rearview. IMHO, as we were talking a safe trip for the family and what you described is not that at all. You are a danger to me and my family.

Comments like this tells me this person doesn't tow much. Its really a silly uncalled for comment towards others on the road who make a living or who has the experience and equipment to drive at faster legal speeds pulling heavy trailers than he wants to travel or thinks everyone else should.

Couple of points, unless you are a trucker it is unlikely you have towed as much as me. Several thousand miles in a year and for 50 years.
As for professional driver of semis, they sure aren't what they used to be. I don't trust them on the highway anymore. There are fair more big rig accidents in the last few years. My BIL (a trucker for years) say it is poor training and the lack of money that gets an inferior driver today.
I had 2 near misses last year from one driver asleep at the wheel and one that didn't check his rig when passing and would've hit us if I hadn't locked my rig down to miss his trailer. Stay alert on the road folks, no one cares more about your family then you do.
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I guess from my point of view, you would be a part of the problem and not what I would like seeing coming up on me in my rearview. IMHO, as we were talking a safe trip for the family and what you described is not that at all. You are a danger to me and my family.

Comments like this tells me this person doesn't tow much. Its really a silly uncalled for comment towards others on the road who make a living or who has the experience and equipment to drive at faster legal speeds pulling heavy trailers than he wants to travel or thinks everyone else should.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
Many of you make me look like a homebody, as in never going anywhere. We do almost all our camping 20 minutes away. Every other year, my Dad and I drive 5 hours down to the Outer Banks for some Father/Son surf fishing (an awesome trip even if we don't catch very much). Then weekend before last, my wife, son and I drove 5 hours to the mountains for a one-nighter. We were on a mission for that one. Camping was not the primary purpose.

On the few long distance trips we've taken, I set the cruise on 62 or 63 and just roll along. What I have found is that the trip is relaxing. Almost everyone passes us in the fast lane, and I have to slow down for very few people. I will admit that merging traffic is a little more of an issue this way. If I can't move over, the mergers have to contend with a 47' rig. I don't slow down if I don't have to. They have to step on it or slow down to merge.

If we traveled like some of you do, I might see things differently. We have a 1/2 ton Suburban and a conventional WDH setup. If we had a 3/4 ton or 1 ton with lots of margin, a Hensley or Pro Pride, and LT tires on the trailer, I might be more willing to roll with the pace of traffic.

On our mountains trip, we were passed by almost every truck/trailer camping rig, some really moving along. I wondered then how many were set up really well for 75 or higher speeds should something go wrong. If you're set up well, no problem. But there are a lot of people who don't understand physics.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
We followed a 30'ish newer Jayco yesterday doing over 75mph on I-70 east of Washington PA for a few miles. The setup had the trailer riding nose high by a good 4 to 6 inches, and it was fish tailing badly. The rear of the trailer was swinging back and forth constantly over the dashed center line and solid right hand line while in the slow lane. I was riding shotgun with my plumbing superintendent, and told him to pass the rig as I wanted to see the TV and the moron driving it. It turns out it was an early 2000's Suburban being driven by a woman with at least 5 kids inside, along with about a ton of gear crammed into it. She was totally oblivious to her situation. She had a cigarette in her hand that was on the steering wheel, and was yacking full tilt on her phone with the other. If you were ever on this stretch of I-70 you would understand just how bad a section of Interstate this is. It's heavy bumper to bumper traffic with 4 or 5 merge points in a few miles, as well as combined with I-79 between Pittsburgh and Morgantown WV as it skirts around to the west and south of Washington PA. It's also crammed chock full of all sorts of vehicles from pickups and water trucks to semi flats loaded with pipeline and drill pipe for the Marcellus Shale gas play. This Dingbat was lucky to get through there alive not to mention causing someone else to pile it up.

She had a conventional round bar WDH with no sway control, and I could tell from the angle of the bars compared to the A frame it had way too much spring dialed in to it. She had maybe 2 links from bar to snap bracket, and the bars were almost at the bottom of brackets at the ends. I'd bet it was taking a substantial amount of weight off the rear axle of the TV, by that I mean as in lifting the rear of the Suburban way higher than it should of been with a proper setup. That may have been the cause of the nose high stance of the trailer.

I am never surprised what I see on the road, or coming in and out of the state parks we frequent. I'd guess 80% or better of people towing trailers are clueless to what they are actually doing. When we leave with the weekend summer crowd on Sundays, we follow many down the west side of the 2 western most ridges of the Alleghenies. Both grades are over 9%, one around 4 1/2 miles and the other 2 1/2 miles long. I have seen, and smelled, my fair share of cooking brakes as well as a few who have lost it and ended up in the ditch or woods on the way down.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
The difference between driving 300 miles at 80 and at 60 is only 1 hour and 15 minutes. And that is if you never slow down which is kinda unrealistic. The actual difference will be under an hour.
And an emergency maneuver with a trailer at 60 to 65 is one thing and at 80 is a whole 'nother.
I'm content to sit in the right lane and ease on down the road.
With your present TV... You are correct.
Upgrade to a 1 ton dually, and put some quality tires on the TT... And it is a totally different story

LOL...so said all those semi drivers on their sides when they had to swerve suddenly at high speed.You have no idea How the semi drivers accidents occurred. But you do realize that their accident rate as a percentage of miles driven is extremely low,,,, right? Just like airplanes are one of the safest modes of transportation...Yet some still do crash. The only way to avoid the risk entirely is totally stop the activity.Other wise you manage it to acceptable levels.
I don't need or want a 1 ton dually So long as you keep the speed down, I agree. and I do have quality tires. You may be right here, as I do not know specifically what you have. But if you are still running what it came with, or a tire similar to those.... The odds are not in your favor.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
Wish I could agree about more trailers being driven responsibly. We have just returned from a trip from North Texas to Virginia to Iowa and back to Texas. I drove mostly at 60 mph with an occasional 65. Everything on the road except granny in her wheelchair sailed right on past me. While in Iowa I made a couple of side trips without the trailer and drove mostly 70 to 75 and still watched many trailers and Motor Homes as they passed me.
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
The difference between driving 300 miles at 80 and at 60 is only 1 hour and 15 minutes. And that is if you never slow down which is kinda unrealistic. The actual difference will be under an hour.
And an emergency maneuver with a trailer at 60 to 65 is one thing and at 80 is a whole 'nother.

That's true buy lets work the math a little different and see what happens.

You and I both have 21 days vacation.

You and I travel 8 hours a day for 21 days.

You drive 60 MPH and I drive 75 MPH.

Here is what that boils down to:

You get to go 480 miles/ day.

I get to go 600 miles/ day OR I get to pull over at my campground destination 2 hours early. TWO HOURS! I get to relax and take a nap while you're still counting mile markers on the road for 2 hours.

OR

In 21 days I get to go see 2,500 more miles of stuff or I can see the same amount of stuff that you did and relax for 3 days after you get home or I get to see stuff on my stops for 3 whole days.

As you can see, you will have about 2.5 more days on the road of exposure to hit something or be hit by something.

And before anybody starts. If I drive 600 miles a day I only have to fill up in the morning and at noon and the next day it all starts over again so I really only fill up once. (at noon)

Different strokes. Yep, I'm retired and not in a hurry. Hopefully you'll be there some day. I have been in your shoes before having to hustle along.
But I'll be even further behind you 'cause I only do about 300 miles a day. But we usually stay a week or more at our destination. When we get there, eventually.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
With your present TV... You are correct.
Upgrade to a 1 ton dually, and put some quality tires on the TT... And it is a totally different story

LOL...so said all those semi drivers on their sides when they had to swerve suddenly at high speed.
I don't need or want a 1 ton dually and I do have quality tires.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Well sure.

If I was retired and had all the time in the world I wouldn't worry about making time. It wouldn't matter. My vacation reloads 2 weeks every year. 😞

I'm not, and I do.

What is funny to me is the people that say if doesn't make any difference; bla, bla, bla. Aaaaaaaaaa yes it does. It's simple math. If I have a certain thing I want to see in a certain state I take the total mileage divided by the days I have and then get an average I have to go per day. If I drive slower, I have to spend more hours in back of the wheel. It's really that simple.

I don't mind driving, but I rather be drinking or napping or going to a museum or going to a park or relaxing near a lake. Not driving 50 or 60 MPH for hours at a time.

To each his or her own.

PS. I like #4! LOL!
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:

That's true buy lets work the math a little different and see what happens.

You and I both have 21 days vacation.

You and I travel 8 hours a day for 21 days.

You drive 60 MPH and I drive 75 MPH.

Here is what that boils down to:

You get to go 480 miles/ day.

I get to go 600 miles/ day OR I get to pull over at my campground destination 2 hours early. TWO HOURS! I get to relax and take a nap while you're still counting mile markers on the road for 2 hours.

OR

In 21 days I get to go see 2,500 more miles of stuff or I can see the same amount of stuff that you did and relax for 3 days after you get home or I get to see stuff on my stops for 3 whole days.

As you can see, you will have about 2.5 more days on the road of exposure to hit something or be hit by something.

And before anybody starts. If I drive 600 miles a day I only have to fill up in the morning and at noon and the next day it all starts over again so I really only fill up once. (at noon)

I think there is a difference between you 2 and me, as I am with him not you. i think both he and I are retired and look at travel in a different view. One that comes from 100's of thousand of miles and several years of doing this.
New math:
1. have 365 days to go to anywhere (this reloads each year)
2. I do sometimes travel 600 miles but don't make a habit out of it as I have more places to stop and see again then I can use going across the USA.
3. Fuel is a good thing at 65 but at 80 it sucks into the refreshment cooler big time.
$. The rule of RVing is the same as what the old bull said to the young'n "let's walk down and do them all" (old joke of bulls and cows).
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i