cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning bug residue

Turner__P
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned from a trip to California (from Charlotte). Ran into a lot of bugs along the way. We did stop at a truck wash about 1/2 way but that wasn't much help. After arriving home, Mother Nature poured on us and that helped some. This morning we washed our rig well and used dryer sheets on the worst of the bug residue. Worked very well and it appeared to leave no scratches. Has anyone else tried this?
Paul T
14 REPLIES 14

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
In the dew, of the morning, soapy brush and rinse with hose. I'll ask when wee land if it is okay. Since not washing the whole rig usually not a problem.
Too high to top of cap to use dryer sheets etc and not allowed on ladders.
having a hard time finding the no spots car wash now. I use filtered water too.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Last month I was covered in bugs in SW Wyoming, in camp I kept hearing a ticking sound from up front, when I looked there was a bird on my rearview mirror and it was flying up and taking the bugs off the front, told him to keep at it. It was a variety of flycatcher bird.I thanked him and moved on with whatever I was doing, probably nothing....
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
For the quick cleaning of bugs when on the road, we use Turtle Wax bug and tar remover. It does a good job and doesn't take off the wax. The trick is to not let them get baked on; then the job becomes much harder. But dryer sheets, bug remover or whatever method you prefer still requires a little elbow grease. The trick is to minimize the elbow grease as much as possible. LOL

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the past I tried damp Bounce dryer sheets. They certainly helped removed dead bugs, but they also removed the wax. The next time I encountered bugs they stuck on worse than ever.

Now I have a half dozen coats of Zep on the front of the RV and 4 coats on the rest of it. Dirt and tree gunk just washes off. I am curious to see what happens with dead bugs. I am expected them to wash off without scrubbing or use of dryer sheets.

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago there was a product called "Loves Bugs". It was like one of those green kitchen scratcher pads only much softer. Worked well on the windows and front of the 5th wheel.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
S-100 at your Harley Davidson shop. make sure to rinse well. BUGS GONE, NO EFFORT
Dennis Hoppert

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Just don't let your wife do what mine did - she decided to use a Mr Clean Magic Eraser sponge. It did a great job on the fiberglass cap of the trailer.

And 10 coats of wax later, it almost looks like it wasn't attacked by a wire brush. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Turner, P wrote:
We just returned from a trip to California (from Charlotte). Ran into a lot of bugs along the way. We did stop at a truck wash about 1/2 way but that wasn't much help. After arriving home, Mother Nature poured on us and that helped some. This morning we washed our rig well and used dryer sheets on the worst of the bug residue. Worked very well and it appeared to leave no scratches. Has anyone else tried this?
Yes - dryer sheets are the best for cleaning bugs. Costs pennies. This from a past non-believer who tried it and saw the light!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We clean off the bugs from the from of our 5th wheel after every travel day. We use a gallon bucket of water and our cleaning brush and because the bugs are not baked on, they come off easily, We never use a hose and campgrounds always allow us to do this. Takes no more than 5 minutes to clean them off.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
The easy answer to bugs.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
I just wash the front every time I stop for the day. Bucket of warm soapy water and the brush, works wonders.

cougar55
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. Best way we've found to remove bugs from vehicles.

Etstorm
Explorer
Explorer
A wet dryer sheet works wonders.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, and it worked for me also. For places that I cannot reach, I dip the soft long-handled RV wash brush into a pan of Rainex bug remover.

When I lived in the fog belt, I always tried to do the bug cleaning when the camper was still damp from morning dew.

After yesterday's bug scrubbing session, I think I've decided that my next RV should bug-colored.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed