Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Building a Ford F-150-HD payload?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Building a Ford F-150-HD payload?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
Fordlover

Spring, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/18 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

mhamershock wrote:

Groover wrote:

harmanrk,
The diesel is a nice engine but overkill for what I am doing and a lot more money. For my use I am very satisfied (so far) with my Ecoboost and $8k in my pocket. Now, if they offered the Ecoboost in the 250 that might be a different story.

This was exactly my reasoning and why I ended up with the F150HD. I would love to see a 5.0EB in a 3/4 ton chassis. That would be a beast.

Mike

Amen to that! However, from what I have seen in the news they are going to have a new 7 liter DOHC engine for 2019 Superduties and the Mustang. While the 6.2 seems to be a solid engine it was obsolete when it was introduced. Maybe the new engine will offer both better performance and fuel economy. I feel sure that Ford is getting a lot of pressure from commercial users in cities to offer engines that can run on CNG.
http://business.financialpost.com/transportation/ford-motor-co-to-announce-new-engine-production-at-windsor-plant-today-in-boost-to-canada-automaking-sources

Not to rob the thread OP, but I see these rumors about the 7.0 liter replacing the 6.2 Boss, and I find that highly unlikely. The 7.0 is likely to be used on the F-450/chassis cabs and higher trucks to replace the ageing Mod motor 6.8 liter V10. The 6.2 Boss was introduced in 2010, the mod motor architecture has been around since 1991. I find it wishful thinking to expect the 7.0 would get better fuel economy than the 8 year old 6.2 Boss motor.

Secondly, thanks for the towing updates, these HD F-150's are hard to find much reporting on them.

2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/18 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fordlover wrote:

Groover wrote:

mhamershock wrote:

Groover wrote:

harmanrk,
The diesel is a nice engine but overkill for what I am doing and a lot more money. For my use I am very satisfied (so far) with my Ecoboost and $8k in my pocket. Now, if they offered the Ecoboost in the 250 that might be a different story.

This was exactly my reasoning and why I ended up with the F150HD. I would love to see a 5.0EB in a 3/4 ton chassis. That would be a beast.

Mike

Amen to that! However, from what I have seen in the news they are going to have a new 7 liter DOHC engine for 2019 Superduties and the Mustang. While the 6.2 seems to be a solid engine it was obsolete when it was introduced. Maybe the new engine will offer both better performance and fuel economy. I feel sure that Ford is getting a lot of pressure from commercial users in cities to offer engines that can run on CNG.
http://business.financialpost.com/transportation/ford-motor-co-to-announce-new-engine-production-at-windsor-plant-today-in-boost-to-canada-automaking-sources

Not to rob the thread OP, but I see these rumors about the 7.0 liter replacing the 6.2 Boss, and I find that highly unlikely. The 7.0 is likely to be used on the F-450/chassis cabs and higher trucks to replace the ageing Mod motor 6.8 liter V10. The 6.2 Boss was introduced in 2010, the mod motor architecture has been around since 1991. I find it wishful thinking to expect the 7.0 would get better fuel economy than the 8 year old 6.2 Boss motor.

Secondly, thanks for the towing updates, these HD F-150's are hard to find much reporting on them.

Solid news is hard to come by but the reports I am seeing say that it is going to be used in the F150 and up: https://carnewtrend.com/2017/11/2019-ford-f-150-raptor.html

Since the 6.2 was pulled out of the 150 for being a gas guzzler I doubt that they would put another guzzler in its place. According to the article we should know by the end of the year.

mhamershock

Forest Grove, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quick update to this old thread - towed really heavy for the 1st time with my HDPP. 7k lb dry toy hauler loaded up with 3 motocross bikes, gear, tools, full water tanks, coming in just under GVWR at 9700 lbs. Towed I5 to Washougal MX park (1.5 hours for me) and it was easy. What a great tow vehicle.

Maury82

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mhamershock wrote:

Quick update to this old thread - towed really heavy for the 1st time with my HDPP. 7k lb dry toy hauler loaded up with 3 motocross bikes, gear, tools, full water tanks, coming in just under GVWR at 9700 lbs. Towed I5 to Washougal MX park (1.5 hours for me) and it was easy. What a great tow vehicle.

Great to hear, and I've read every post and now have more confidence in the HDPP.

mhamershock

Forest Grove, OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/19 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another update due to recent addition of 5 Star's 91 octane Perf/Tow tune. Otherwise truck and trailer the same as before. I'm up to 25k miles on it, and have towed the big hauler some 3500 miles, with another 1500 miles on my little (2000 lb) trailer.

This trip was with the toy hauler loaded to about 8k, 4 people, and 3 dogs in the bed. I'd say 15k lbs total gross.

Did 850 miles round trip Portland, Or to Eureka, CA. Perfect weather both directions - sunny, calm. cool. Truck ran awesome - smooth and powerful as usual. Very low stress towing with this rig. To be honest, I didn't feel that much of a difference with the tune power-wise. These things make so much power stock that another 50 hp and 75 lb (guessing) isn't that noticeable. I will say that their 91 Perf tune is a monster, but not designed for towing heavy. I did notice differences with their trans tune - shifting is better: quicker and firmer. And, they totally lock out 9th and 10th gear - you will not go into them at all while in Tow/Haul mode. Not sure I like this - I can use 9th on occasion.

Some numbers:

7.5 MPG round trip (it's a hilly drive - lots of 6%-7% grades up and down)
19.3 PSI max boost
4650 max RPM (downhill - never got above 3500 uphill)
232 max coolant temp
221 max trans temp

Still very happy with this truck as a tower and DD. No issues at all in 25k miles. So glad I got this and not a 3/4 ton. If you are towing 10K or less this is the truck for you.

Mike

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Building a Ford F-150-HD payload?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS