Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Building a Ford F-150-HD payload?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Building a Ford F-150-HD payload?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
Fordlover

Spring, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/18 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

mhamershock wrote:

Groover wrote:

harmanrk,
The diesel is a nice engine but overkill for what I am doing and a lot more money. For my use I am very satisfied (so far) with my Ecoboost and $8k in my pocket. Now, if they offered the Ecoboost in the 250 that might be a different story.

This was exactly my reasoning and why I ended up with the F150HD. I would love to see a 5.0EB in a 3/4 ton chassis. That would be a beast.

Mike

Amen to that! However, from what I have seen in the news they are going to have a new 7 liter DOHC engine for 2019 Superduties and the Mustang. While the 6.2 seems to be a solid engine it was obsolete when it was introduced. Maybe the new engine will offer both better performance and fuel economy. I feel sure that Ford is getting a lot of pressure from commercial users in cities to offer engines that can run on CNG.
http://business.financialpost.com/transportation/ford-motor-co-to-announce-new-engine-production-at-windsor-plant-today-in-boost-to-canada-automaking-sources

Not to rob the thread OP, but I see these rumors about the 7.0 liter replacing the 6.2 Boss, and I find that highly unlikely. The 7.0 is likely to be used on the F-450/chassis cabs and higher trucks to replace the ageing Mod motor 6.8 liter V10. The 6.2 Boss was introduced in 2010, the mod motor architecture has been around since 1991. I find it wishful thinking to expect the 7.0 would get better fuel economy than the 8 year old 6.2 Boss motor.

Secondly, thanks for the towing updates, these HD F-150's are hard to find much reporting on them.

2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/18 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fordlover wrote:

Groover wrote:

mhamershock wrote:

Groover wrote:

harmanrk,
The diesel is a nice engine but overkill for what I am doing and a lot more money. For my use I am very satisfied (so far) with my Ecoboost and $8k in my pocket. Now, if they offered the Ecoboost in the 250 that might be a different story.

This was exactly my reasoning and why I ended up with the F150HD. I would love to see a 5.0EB in a 3/4 ton chassis. That would be a beast.

Mike

Amen to that! However, from what I have seen in the news they are going to have a new 7 liter DOHC engine for 2019 Superduties and the Mustang. While the 6.2 seems to be a solid engine it was obsolete when it was introduced. Maybe the new engine will offer both better performance and fuel economy. I feel sure that Ford is getting a lot of pressure from commercial users in cities to offer engines that can run on CNG.
http://business.financialpost.com/transportation/ford-motor-co-to-announce-new-engine-production-at-windsor-plant-today-in-boost-to-canada-automaking-sources

Not to rob the thread OP, but I see these rumors about the 7.0 liter replacing the 6.2 Boss, and I find that highly unlikely. The 7.0 is likely to be used on the F-450/chassis cabs and higher trucks to replace the ageing Mod motor 6.8 liter V10. The 6.2 Boss was introduced in 2010, the mod motor architecture has been around since 1991. I find it wishful thinking to expect the 7.0 would get better fuel economy than the 8 year old 6.2 Boss motor.

Secondly, thanks for the towing updates, these HD F-150's are hard to find much reporting on them.

Solid news is hard to come by but the reports I am seeing say that it is going to be used in the F150 and up: https://carnewtrend.com/2017/11/2019-ford-f-150-raptor.html

Since the 6.2 was pulled out of the 150 for being a gas guzzler I doubt that they would put another guzzler in its place. According to the article we should know by the end of the year.

mhamershock

Forest Grove, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quick update to this old thread - towed really heavy for the 1st time with my HDPP. 7k lb dry toy hauler loaded up with 3 motocross bikes, gear, tools, full water tanks, coming in just under GVWR at 9700 lbs. Towed I5 to Washougal MX park (1.5 hours for me) and it was easy. What a great tow vehicle.

Maury82

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mhamershock wrote:

Quick update to this old thread - towed really heavy for the 1st time with my HDPP. 7k lb dry toy hauler loaded up with 3 motocross bikes, gear, tools, full water tanks, coming in just under GVWR at 9700 lbs. Towed I5 to Washougal MX park (1.5 hours for me) and it was easy. What a great tow vehicle.

Great to hear, and I've read every post and now have more confidence in the HDPP.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Building a Ford F-150-HD payload?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS