cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hooking up to house sepitc

Catmandude
Explorer
Explorer
Am wondering if any one has done it. I have a piece of land (free parking!) and the house has been removed but a very new septic system is still there. Not sure how to pull it off like holding tank bypass,connections, parts, hoses needed?
26 REPLIES 26

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Wadcutter wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:

Most standard (non-HE) top load washing machines in use today can use as much as 40 gallons of water per load. Toss in a shower or two, or a bath, and you can easily exceed a 50 gallon discharge in a short time. Most septic tanks have enough head room to accommodate a temporary backup from the leach field if needed. The scum layer just floats up higher.

Not the same. The washing machine isn't dumping all 40 gals at once but only a percentage of the 40 gals over a period of 30-60 minutes. A washing machine will only dump 5-7 gal at a time at the end of each cycle.
A septic tank water level will be equal to the bottom of exit port in the tank and below the inlet port.
Overflowing a septic tank one time is not likely to damage the leach field. It's the accumulated effect over a period of time that causes the damage.

The outlet baffle prevents the floating scum layer from entering the outlet when the water level rises as waste enters the baffled inlet. All that happens with a larger influx of waste water is the scum layer rises a couple of inches higher on the baffle briefly as the water moves into the leach field, dry well, transpiration mound, etc.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
Just be careful of putting it all in at one time. there can be a he!! of a big burp and you will have a mess and a half on the hose side. Ask me how I know.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

Catmandude
Explorer
Explorer
Oh my gosh folks, did I open up a can o worms!!!
My septic is 1500 gallons with sand mound, lots of good advise & ideas
here thanks to all!

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Dosing a septic tank with large quantities of water is good for the drain field, Google it. They make dosing tanks specifically for that purpose.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Oops operator error

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
The 1000 gallon septic tank at our lakeside cottage in NY is rated for a 10% per event inrush with a 20/60 minute duty cycle. The 1500 gallon dry well is rated the same, so dumping our 75 gallon total if full waste tanks stays well within the ratings.

OP--If you have a septic field, this is what you need to know! Find out what you have.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
A septic tank vents back through the roof vent(s) in a house. With no house, you may need a vent pipe directly from the septic tank which would be added by breaking into the inlet pipe to the tank. Might only need to be 2-3' above grade and would have a couple of 90 degree elbows together to make a 180 degree inverted bend along with a P-trap sort of like in the right side of the photo. Should have a cleanout at the inlet to the tank.

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dutch_12078 wrote:

Most standard (non-HE) top load washing machines in use today can use as much as 40 gallons of water per load. Toss in a shower or two, or a bath, and you can easily exceed a 50 gallon discharge in a short time. Most septic tanks have enough head room to accommodate a temporary backup from the leach field if needed. The scum layer just floats up higher.

Not the same. The washing machine isn't dumping all 40 gals at once but only a percentage of the 40 gals over a period of 30-60 minutes. A washing machine will only dump 5-7 gal at a time at the end of each cycle.
A septic tank water level will be equal to the bottom of exit port in the tank and below the inlet port.
Overflowing a septic tank one time is not likely to damage the leach field. It's the accumulated effect over a period of time that causes the damage.
Camped in every state

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
kginder wrote:
When the stinky man came to pump out my house septic, I found out that the top to the riser over the tank was fiber glass. I cut a hole to fit a standard pvc clean out purchased for 5 bucks. Glued it in with pvc glue and viola! I now have FHU. My septic tank is 1000 gallons so my rv tanks dumped in there are a drop in the sea. However after a rough weekend of camping that could be debatable. Only took me 22 years in our home to figure that one out...

I have been living in a home with a septic tank/field for almost 60 years. When your 1000gal tank is filled with liquid and starts to leach into the drain field tiles, any new liquid (and its' contents) will cause an equal amount of liquid to go from the tank into the drain field. When you empty your RV tanks it is more than a drop in the sea! 50 gallons in equals 50 gallons out! :E This many be more than your drain field can handle at one time.
Barney

Dutch

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
kginder wrote:
When the stinky man came to pump out my house septic, I found out that the top to the riser over the tank was fiber glass. I cut a hole to fit a standard pvc clean out purchased for 5 bucks. Glued it in with pvc glue and viola! I now have FHU. My septic tank is 1000 gallons so my rv tanks dumped in there are a drop in the sea. However after a rough weekend of camping that could be debatable. Only took me 22 years in our home to figure that one out...

I have been living in a home with a septic tank/field for almost 60 years. When your 1000gal tank is filled with liquid and starts to leach into the drain field tiles, any new liquid (and its' contents) will cause an equal amount of liquid to go from the tank into the drain field. When you empty your RV tanks it is more than a drop in the sea! 50 gallons in equals 50 gallons out! :E This many be more than your drain field can handle at one time.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

kginder
Explorer
Explorer

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The 1000 gallon septic tank at our lakeside cottage in NY is rated for a 10% per event inrush with a 20/60 minute duty cycle. The 1500 gallon dry well is rated the same, so dumping our 75 gallon total if full waste tanks stays well within the ratings.
Dutch

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
I'm curious if anyone has actually overflowed their septic system by dumping all at once? My holding tanks are 36 gallon which is about the same size as a standard bathtub. What would be the difference?

well my SIL overflowed hers by running too many laundry loads thru in too short a time.
bumpy

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Either dump frequently (1/2 tank) or use a macerator pump if you are worried about overloading the system.. at 6 GPM a macerator should not overload it.

Plus it breaks up some stuff.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times