cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

transponder installation

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
Weird thought since I'm wasting time surfing. I'll be moving to Florida, a state that has over 700 miles of toll roads. They're advertising their portable transponders to stick on the windows. With the big overhang on a class c, will it block the signal. If I instead get one of the stickers, will the system be able to see the sticker? Really would hate to have to stop and pay cash all the time. I really want to live near the beach, but some of the jobs I'm looking at are in the middle of the state and the tollways seem to be the fastest/shortest routes. Don't want multiple accounts for all my cars either.
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions
9 REPLIES 9

kginder
Explorer
Explorer
I have a class c with a big overhang (Jayco Greyhawk) and I've had and Easy Pass AND a Florida Sun Pass stuck on my windshield inside next to the rear view mirror for 4 1/2 years. Zero problems with either one.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I've always placed my Sun Pass (with the suction cups) inn the lower left corner of the windshield of my class C - never had a problem.

Earlier this month I bought an EZ pass in Ma., and have had problems with it not being read in a number of toll booths I've gone through.
I put the velcro strips in the center maybe 8 or 9 inches up from the bottom of the windshield - had problems. Moved them to the left lower corner of the windshield and still had problems.
Haven't figured out where to put the thing.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

tobydad
Explorer
Explorer
My EZ pass transponder is mounted on the windshield behind the mirror on my class C and have never had any problems with it not being able to be recorded.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
jerseyjim wrote:
FWIW, New Jersey EZPass has EXTERIOR transponders as an option. Maybe Florida has the same.

Of course, for political reasons (I'm sure) Florida has it's own version of EZpass...a system that, as far as i know is not reciprocal to any other state.

Florida's system is called Sunpass and it is indeed not reciprocal with EZ pass or anything else I am aware of.

The transponder should not be affected by the overhang on class C. I have left my EZ pass transponder in the the glove box, center console, and laying on the floor and it still worked.

Where is Florida anyway? Is that near California?
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

MobileBasset
Explorer
Explorer
I have had the little FL sticker in my C for 4 yrs - mounted, as directed, high center (where it is not too visible to me while driving). I have never had a problem with it. I travel all around FL during the winter. I have had the big clunky suction model in my cars in the past. They wanted to fall off and had to be reseated often and also used batteries so I switched to the sticker which is cheap and have one in each vehicle.
MobileBasset
2014 Itasca Spirit 25B on Chevy Express 3500 chassis
Daisy and Hank the Basset Hounds

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pay the little extra for a portable/suction cup one that can be used in any vehicle you have on your account. Mounted on the bottom of the C's windshield should work OK.

Sun Pass currently works in GA and NC too...Federal Law has mandated universal compatible of all passes but that is several years behind schedule. May be more a billing problem than the actual transponder compatible.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
My Illinois IPass transponder lives on the lower inside center of the MH windshield, and works just fine.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
jerseyjim wrote:
FWIW, New Jersey EZPass has EXTERIOR transponders as an option. Maybe Florida has the same.

Of course, for political reasons (I'm sure) Florida has it's own version of EZpass...a system that, as far as i know is not reciprocal to any other state.

Florida's system is called Sunpass and it is indeed not reciprocal with EZ pass or anything else I am aware of.

The transponder should not be affected by the overhang on class C. I have left my EZ pass transponder in the the glove box, center console, and laying on the floor and it still worked.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer