cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hard wired EMS questions

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
We have a new TT that we had the dealer install a Progressive Industries hard wired 50 AMP EMS with the remote display. I understand the codes and have read the manual. Does anyone know if the red display screen on the remote display can be turned off or reduce the brightness of the screen? I'm sure we'll get use to it. It appears like the bypass mode displays the word OFF, which is good. Anyone know a reason or situation that would need it turned off ? With all the electronic equipment and we have the Jensen In Command system it's a good feeling to know we are protected. I think it should come as a factory option.
Thanks for any input or suggestions
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD
2020 Open Range Light 312BH
26 REPLIES 26

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would think that the troubleshooting guide and the walk thru by the Teck on the line that I talked to is the governing information,most times the warranty info is a CYA statement,but in real life going thru trouble shooting I will take the Tecks advice rather than something that is printed up by lawyers.

In real life you have to go to the source to get the real answers not just what you read and take for granted.Always get all the information.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

ExxWhy
Explorer
Explorer
I installed mine myself and the package came with a hard copy of the PDF I quoted above.

That said, if Larry has been disconnecting/connecting with no issue, it's probably not a critical instruction.

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
IIRC Progressive also cautions to not connect or disconnect this cable with the unit active but to connect it before power is applied.

LarryJM wrote:
I don't think that is correct since I've been disconnecting mine at the display when it's basically in storage for months along side my home.

IAMICHABOD wrote:
Again Sound Guy iirc is wrong.

From the aforementioned Progressive Industries EMS-HW installation guide ...

"Plug in remote display and cable. (This cable is not a phone cable, but rather a data cable).
NEVER PLUG IN DISPLAY WHILE RV POWER IS ON."

Wrong, eh? :S Guess not. :W

Well there is obviously some disconnects since the follow were the instructions I received with my unit CLICKYand do not have the warning in your link and in fact the troubleshooting clearly states several times to connect/disconnect the remote display if you have trouble with it to see if that solves the problem.

It seems that the link I provided which has the normal warranty info, etc. is the documentation provided with the unit and the link SoundGuy provided is from their technical support so I'm unsure which is really the "governing" information, but there seems to be differences like the very limited "troubleshooting" recommendations in SoundGuy's link compared to what I linked to.:?:h

I guess if one is worried about this (I'm not based on my 10 years of experience connecting/disconnecting w/o issue) one should call PI and get clarification on these different views on connecting/disconnecting the remote while the unit is powered.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
IIRC Progressive also cautions to not connect or disconnect this cable with the unit active but to connect it before power is applied.

LarryJM wrote:
I don't think that is correct since I've been disconnecting mine at the display when it's basically in storage for months along side my home.

IAMICHABOD wrote:

From the aforementioned Progressive Industries EMS-HW installation guide ...

"Plug in remote display and cable. (This cable is not a phone cable, but rather a data cable).
NEVER PLUG IN DISPLAY WHILE RV POWER IS ON."

Wrong, eh? :S Guess not. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ExxWhy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
ZeeLet50 wrote:
It just uses a telephone type cord to connect to the main unit.

Not the case at all. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Ralph Cramden wrote:
Although it may appear so.....its not a standard 4 conductor telephone cord.

True ... 14' long, a reasonable length allowing one to mount the remote monitor in a convenient location but this cable is certainly not "just a telephone type cord". IIRC Progressive also cautions to not connect or disconnect this cable with the unit active but to connect it before power is applied.

This is copied from the installation instructions for EMS 30 and EMS 50 on the PI website.

14. Plug in digital remote and cable. (This cable is not a phone cable,
but rather a data cable.) NEVER PLUG IN DISPLAY WHILE RV
POWER IS ON.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/installation-guides

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rover_Bill wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
I second the post not to use the bypass switch when running on a generator. Generators can and do fail, and if you have it bypassed, you have no protection from that. A GROUND/NEUTRAL bonding plug is easily made for about $3 and works wonderfully well. If you need that information, just ask and a dozen of us will tell you how.

When the display is in the "off" mode, the EMS functions (voltage check, ground check, error, etc) are bypassed/disabled. The surge protection function is never disabled (per PMI user manual).

The parts of this post that I have turned red are the most important tests when running a generator. A surge from a generator is one of the least likely failures. The "etc" in the quote actually is AC frequency checking. That is probably the most likely failure from a generator.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
ZeeLet50 wrote:
The off function is like a bypass and you will need it when using a generator because there will be no physical "sensed" ground. This will throw a code and cut the power to the TT.

Progressive Industries has a plug that bonds the ground + neutral together so you can still use your EMS with a generator:

http://learntorv.com/generator-may-not-work-with-your-ems/
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
LarryJM wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:

I don't think that is correct since I've been disconnecting mine at the display when it's basically in storage for months along side my home. I just looked thru all the installation and operation instructions that came with my unit and didn't see any warnings like you mentioned. Been doing this for almost 10 years (on/off several times a year) with no issues that I'm aware of.

Larry
During my talk with the Teck when my remote failed,as mentioned above,that is one of the tests he had me do,disconnect and reconnect while unit is active.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Give the screen a couple swipes with a black permanent marker, you will still be able to read but it won't be as bright.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Waterops1
Explorer
Explorer
I installed my EMS back underneath the fold-up knife bed/couch where the power cord box (flimsy) was. Also changed over to a Park Power inlet to eliminate the mouse hole and that pathetic storage box. Remote got mounted just under the couch. Sure I have to kneel down to read it but I don't expect that to be too many times (fingers crossed). With the bed at the front end, no light contamination.

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

I don't think that is correct since I've been disconnecting mine at the display when it's basically in storage for months along side my home. I just looked thru all the installation and operation instructions that came with my unit and didn't see any warnings like you mentioned. Been doing this for almost 10 years (on/off several times a year) with no issues that I'm aware of.

My display is mounted directly above my thermostat and visible at all times and now no longer notice it. It's there since I have to watch the total amperage when the A/C is on and the WH is on electric and I operate the microwave. All three at once will exceed 30A in my trailer so one have to be turned off and that's usually the A/C since we don't use the microwave to actually cook, just defrost and warm things up.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ZeeLet50 wrote:

Not the case at all. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Ralph Cramden wrote:
Although it may appear so.....its not a standard 4 conductor telephone cord.

True ... 14' long, a reasonable length allowing one to mount the remote monitor in a convenient location but this cable is certainly not "just a telephone type cord". IIRC Progressive also cautions to not connect or disconnect this cable with the unit active but to connect it before power is applied.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
ZeeLet50 wrote:

Although it may appear so.....its not a standard 4 conductor telephone cord. I am not sure what's different, but I assume they (Progressive Ind) have the plug connections different or reversed at each end to make it proprietary. I can assure you a standard 4 conductor phone cord will not work. I spent a few hours running one when the provided cable was not long enough to find out it was not compatible. PI then confirmed in an email that the provided cable is the only cable that will work but would not provide what the difference was.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
I second the post not to use the bypass switch when running on a generator. Generators can and do fail, and if you have it bypassed, you have no protection from that. A GROUND/NEUTRAL bonding plug is easily made for about $3 and works wonderfully well. If you need that information, just ask and a dozen of us will tell you how.

When the display is in the "off" mode, the EMS functions (voltage check, ground check, error, etc) are bypassed/disabled. The surge protection function is never disabled (per PMI user manual).
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40