cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canadian Currency Changes?

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
I have about $600.00 in Canadian dollars, left over from 2011 when we lived close to the border. Has the Canadian currency changed, like the US $100? Will those older bills sill be accepted in the Great North? Sorry, just have not been north for a long time.
9 REPLIES 9

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
No charge for using or exchanging old currency.

I know it can happen - I got off the ferry to France in 1972 and used 50 franc bill to buy a drink, got more than 50 francs change in coins. When I tried to use those coins I was informed that France had switched from old francs to new ones, each worth ten times as much as an old one.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Community Alumni
Not applicable
No idea Gary.

... Eric

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
PackerBacker wrote:
thomas201 wrote:
Thanks for the help. I asked the question because it was hard to use the US small head $100 bills, in Africa, after the big head became common.

Just a comment from a personal experience. I was in line at our local IGA store and the gentleman ahead of me had a VERY old $100 bill from the old paper money days. The newer bills are polymer. The store had no way to verify it and would not accept it; the gentleman related the same problem at other stores too. My guess is his only option short of finding a store that would take it, would be to exchange it a a bank.

And will the bank charge the customer for that service?

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Community Alumni
Not applicable
thomas201 wrote:
Thanks for the help. I asked the question because it was hard to use the US small head $100 bills, in Africa, after the big head became common.

Just a comment from a personal experience. I was in line at our local IGA store and the gentleman ahead of me had a VERY old $100 bill from the old paper money days. The newer bills are polymer. The store had no way to verify it and would not accept it; the gentleman related the same problem at other stores too. My guess is his only option short of finding a store that would take it, would be to exchange it a a bank.

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Don't get lost in the talk about the exchange...the older CDN bill is as good today as the day you got it.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
$.80 Cents to the US Dollar this morning.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Still legal but worth a bit less in US dollars than six years ago!! :B
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

kilbearcamper
Explorer
Explorer
The older bills are still legal.