cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reese Trunion Head wearing? Sway happening

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
I am using a Reese Trunion style antisway system, Dual Cam, on my toy hauler. I have ~1,900 lbs of tongue weight. I have been using the system for just over 5 years and now I am starting to get sway. The hitch is the Reese Titan class 5 hitch and the bars are the 1,700lbs bars. My trailer is 34' long triple axle. I don't see any dip in the back of the truck looking at ride height. I have air bags and thought that might be why I don't see the dip. My bars are dry on the cam end as Reese states they should be. I did not keep the heads of the bars lubricated on the hitch head and now I see the holes the bars fit in are elongated on the bottom toward the trailer and the top toward the truck. I do notice it is much easier to attach the bars. When I set it up I measured the weight not the front and rear tires of the truck w/o the trailer then adjusted the bars to get the same weight difference on the wheels. I have not found a scale to check it on recently. I am hanging 5 links with only three left to adjust with. I am now lubing the heads in the hitch and hope it will help.

I am wondering if anyone else had had problems like this and if I will need to replace the hitch head assembly to correct the problem. Your thoughts?
3 REPLIES 3

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks I'll give them a call tomorrow.

dedmiston
Reese has really good phone support. Give them a call and see what they advise. They were fantastic when I called them.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Your quite a ways over the rating of the hitch.
I suspect that because the head has worn and the mounting holes elongated, the position of the spring bars has moved back towards the trailer. So now the cams aren't resting in the V of the spring bars anymore and the sway control can't work properly. In fact, it may be adding to the sway.
If the head is badly worn, replace it but other wise just adjust the cams so the bars nest completely again. That should help with sway control.
You might also thinkof moving up to stronger spring bars since you are so far above your existing bar's specs. That should help a lot.