cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delamination caused by heat

lfrese
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at buying a Class C, excited about it until I was sent more pics and saw some delam over the drivers side on the overhang. Apparently this rv has been exposed to extreme heat, being in the desert and it has also damaged the paint on the hood.

Owner says no water damage, the glue was just damaged by the heat. Is this an easy fix or is it the same sentence as a class c with water damage?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_ZsVKzGZ4kYRXl3OWowa1owNFE/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_ZsVKzGZ4kYR1MzV0RfeXE5elE/view?usp=sharing

12 REPLIES 12

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
The right one will come along, mine did after many months.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
Same experience. The fix was more than the fiver so sold it. I've sold two trailers with delam to dealers and the salesman has never asked me what caused the delam. I'll bet the salesman has no idea. I live in Tuscon and there are 1000' of rv's with filon that have not delaminated because of the heat. Run.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
My previous TT I got quotes from 8k a side to 12k a side to fix. I live in AZ so heat is the only thing that hit mine. I traded it.

If you see any delam run away.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Yowsa. That's a lot of money for a rig that looks like it does.

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
There is a ton of good info on buying a used rental on this link.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Paint peeling on the Chevy's is a common thing.

By the pictures looks to be on used RV lot ?
So who said it delaminated because of heat ?,,, no wait let me guess the salesman...

I bought my last one off CL the guy was asking $26K , it did have good bones. I pointed out all the neglect it had and what needed to be fixed.
Just needed a lot of TLC, made the deal for $13K put $5K into it put 20K miles on it . Just sold it for $25K a few months back to get the one we have now.

If your handy and can do a lot of minor things yourself?
They are out there , keep looking.

Obviously right now it's a sellers market NOT a buyers..
Be patient keep looking on CL RVtrader etc.

I agree on the Chevys ! They ride better, better mpg ,more leg room just to name a few.

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
The previous owner says it was never wet but in reality he has no way of knowing if he hasn't opened it up. What he is doing is trying to shine some good light on a bad situation. Several longtime RV owners and members here have given you some very, very good advice for very reasonable fee. Take it. If you are still on the fence, have a look at your future if you insist on buying that rig...
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29356352.cfm
Ron Dittmers post on page two of this thread that will(or should) send chills up your spine.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't go their either. The small Chevs. are hard to find.
The price should reflect the delam in a big way.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Cost to fix can easily exceed value of coach.
Also, you do not know for sure WHAT caused it!
No way I would take a chance on it.

lfrese
Explorer
Explorer
Lots for sale but not in my budget thats less than 10 years old. Unfortunately twice now I thought I was getting a great deal only to find out that there was delam - once from water damage, now from the heat. The seller agreed to repaint the hood. I asked for more photos because there werent many and I noticed the wave in the overhang. Ive been looking for a under 24ft motorhome under 10 years less than 60k miles for under $26k on a chevy chassis (because ive read they drive better and get better mpg than fords) and this one meets all of those things. But I would also like to be able to turn around and sell it in 2 years and not have to struggle to get it sold.

If this doesnt work out I will probably go to El Monte and get a 2014 rental unit as they look like they are in amazing condition and people have had good experiences with them.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Keep looking...delam is NOT easy to fix. There are lots and lots of RV's for sale out there.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
run away
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.