cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Home made waste pump

fishingbob61
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone made a sewer waste pump from a house sink disposal from under the sink? I saw this someplace once and cant find it. Thank you in advance.
Bob and Sue
51 years camping
2005 Fleetwood Bounder DP
2004 Chevy. Tahoe
25 REPLIES 25

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:

The centrifugal blades in the disposal act as a centrifugal pump impeller as they force the waste against the grinder plate. Did you miss the part where he held the hose up 7 feet high and it still pumped? This is not a new discovery, and according to various posts, quite a few folks have done the same thing with good results. It may seem crazy to you, but does in fact work quite well as others have posted. Try a Google search:

Waste disposal as an RV macerator

Using converted disposal at home would be as easy as sticking the hose through a window into a toilet if there's no sewer clean out available. Just as you could with a costly RV macerator. If you compare the parts in a waste disposal and a macerator pump, you'll see they're actually pretty similar. And if a ~$100 price difference is a "very few dollars" to you, that's great, but some of us have better uses for our money than overpaying for things we can easily make or modify ourselves.

X2

In one of his post to me he said how he has changed out 4 garbage disposals in his lifetime, heck I was a maintenance man for many years I have changed maybe 50 in my life time and they do pump water.

:E

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

2. House Garbage disposals are NOT a PUMP. They just chew up material.

As I stated, it does NOT PUMP. It is gravity fed and if you look at the link design, the Black and Gray tank are ABOVE the Insinkerator and when he fires it up it grinds and GRAVITY and the force of the black/Gray water from the upper tanks push the debris out the Insinkerator thru the drain hose. So, what I stated is correct. Home disposals only grind and they are 120 volt. RV 12 volt macerators GRIND and PUMP the debris. A PORTABLE 12 volt RV macerator is $195 on Amazon with fittings to match RV's. CHEAP Garbage disposals are $65 up to the better ones at $130, THEN you have to modify and make it fit and then supply 120 volts to the Contraption. While you could save very few dollars, the plain fact is, it is just a crazy thing to do. Doug

PS, that link, the guy has a septic tank and he just drains to his tank. Unless you have a septic tank, what good is this contraption? Very few homes have a easy sewer input. And you cannot legally drain sewer to land even in the country in most areas of the USA. I know in Texas, that is true. I had a Co-worker that lived 30 miles out in the country and got fined for discharging Washing machine water to the backyard of his home. A neighbor turned him in.

The centrifugal blades in the disposal act as a centrifugal pump impeller as they force the waste against the grinder plate. Did you miss the part where he held the hose up 7 feet high and it still pumped? This is not a new discovery, and according to various posts, quite a few folks have done the same thing with good results. It may seem crazy to you, but does in fact work quite well as others have posted. Try a Google search:

Waste disposal as an RV macerator

Using converted disposal at home would be as easy as sticking the hose through a window into a toilet if there's no sewer clean out available. Just as you could with a costly RV macerator. If you compare the parts in a waste disposal and a macerator pump, you'll see they're actually pretty similar. And if a ~$100 price difference is a "very few dollars" to you, that's great, but some of us have better uses for our money than overpaying for things we can easily make or modify ourselves.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
As I stated, it does NOT PUMP. It is gravity fed and if you look at the link design, the Black and Gray tank are ABOVE the Insinkerator and when he fires it up it grinds and GRAVITY and the force of the black/Gray water from the upper tanks push the debris out the Insinkerator thru the drain hose. So, what I stated is correct. Home disposals only grind and they are 120 volt. RV 12 volt macerators GRIND and PUMP the debris. A PORTABLE 12 volt RV macerator is $195 on Amazon with fittings to match RV's. CHEAP Garbage disposals are $65 up to the better ones at $130, THEN you have to modify and make it fit and then supply 120 volts to the Contraption. While you could save very few dollars, the plain fact is, it is just a crazy thing to do. Doug

i have been using my home made garbage disposal macerator for 5 years now at my seasonal site with great results they in fact do have some pumping action do to the centrifugal force of the cutter blades.
i tried gravity feeding my gray tanks and it took over 30 min. each through a 3/4" garden hose 75' to our dump station.
only takes 20 min. to dump all 3 of my tanks now. so much easier than multiple blue tank trips i used to do.
i found a brand new disposal in the box at a salvation army store for $25.00 and the rest of the parts were cheep coast me less than $60.00 to set it up.
an extension cord from the outside outlet powers it fine or can power it from the inverter in my truck.
i use one of these with the dump station size adaptor that comes in most dump hose kits.Camco 39111 Easy Slip Gray Water Drain Adapter

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
timmac wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
1. House Garbage disposals are 120 volt

Not true, I have a garbage disposal that I use to grind up my black waste and it pushed the waste thru a 1 inch hose 45 feet away into my cleanout at home, works every time..

Post the brand and model of the HOUSE GARBAGE DISPOSAL. I have replaced at least 4 in my lifetime and NONE have a pump in them. Besides, WHY use a House Disposal?????? What is the matter with the standard 12 VOLT RV Macerator?????

Its your typical 1/2 hp garbage disposal you can buy at lowes, and I did once buy a 12 volt Macerator pump that cost 3 times a garbage disposal that fail after using twice, also something that pushes water/waste 45 feet in a 1 inch hose does pretty good than for not being a pump unless you can answer where does my waste go and the hose does not go down hill its all level..

Just cause a garbage disposal is not your typical pump does not mean it cant pump/push water, and its NOT gravity fed because the waste/water wont go thru the hose unless the garbage disposal is running ??

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Dutch_12078 wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
timmac wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

Not true, I have a garbage disposal that I use to grind up my black waste and it pushed the waste thru a 1 inch hose 45 feet away into my cleanout at home, works every time..

Post the brand and model of the HOUSE GARBAGE DISPOSAL. I have replaced at least 4 in my lifetime and NONE have a pump in them. Besides, WHY use a House Disposal?????? What is the matter with the standard 12 VOLT RV Macerator?????

If you go to the previously posted link, you'll find that the fellow used an old Insinkerator disposal he already had, plus some added hardware so he could pump to his septic tank at home. It didn't cost him anywhere near what a commercial 12-volt RV macerator pump costs. Even buying a similar new disposal would be cheaper than a commercial pump setup. It's really a pretty simple conversion...

DIY RV Macerator Pump

PS, that link, the guy has a septic tank and he just drains to his tank. Unless you have a septic tank, what good is this contraption? Very few homes have a easy sewer input. And you cannot legally drain sewer to land even in the country in most areas of the USA. I know in Texas, that is true. I had a Co-worker that lived 30 miles out in the country and got fined for discharging Washing machine water to the backyard of his home. A neighbor turned him in.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
timmac wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

If you go to the previously posted link, you'll find that the fellow used an old Insinkerator disposal he already had, plus some added hardware so he could pump to his septic tank at home. It didn't cost him anywhere near what a commercial 12-volt RV macerator pump costs. Even buying a similar new disposal would be cheaper than a commercial pump setup. It's really a pretty simple conversion...

DIY RV Macerator Pump
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
timmac wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes it has been done and there is a thread I beileve in one of the forums here about it.. Frankly.. I like my Flo-Jet.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
hostage wrote:
I just simply go to a RV dump station or pick a park with sewer hook ups I really don't see the point of complicating a already complicated system
(that being the whole DPMH in general)

Suppose you are boondocking and no dump station availablr, what would you do? I have a sewerline clean out on the side of my house, it was installed for just that purpose.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

jerrywilson
Explorer
Explorer
Once I had to wait for a plumber all day. In the evening I got angry and did everything myself. Thank God web is full of different manuals. As a result, I installed InSinkErator Badger 5?P by myself which found in the review on http://bestsinkdisposal.com/ and saved own nerves

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:

I don't know how far it will pump the Black stuff, but before I used it, I connected my 75' 3/4" garden hose and pumped out several gallons of clean water from my gray tank. Holding the hose about waste high, I was surprised that it shot the water up at least 10' into the air.

This would be my concern unless you have a basement toilet.

fishingbob61
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you rv2go, that is what I was looking for will make it today.
Bob and Sue
51 years camping
2005 Fleetwood Bounder DP
2004 Chevy. Tahoe