cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

South Dakota License Renewal

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
How far ahead does South Dakota send out license renewals? Mine is due end of Sept. This is through Americas Mail Box.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am
12 REPLIES 12

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
You can go online and renew the plates at the DMV in Rapid City assuming you are now registered in Pennington county. I'm not sure how far ahead of expiration they will allow it. Just call the DMV and they'll walk you through it.

I've worked with them directly for the last 9 years because I can't remember how to do it each year, no problems.

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
We are SD and did ours online as well.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are based in SD and renew online - except, the one vehicle in my name is a problem. They had my ss# wrong in the data base - corrected it, had me use the PMB, had me not use the PMB - still can't get an account set up for me. They don't know why and gave up trying to figure it out. So - I have to order our mail to get the paper copy of the renewal and that comes out about 30 days prior. Our renewal dates are based on our last name, and have nothing to do with a birthday. Our birthdays are Sept & Oct and our renewal is in February. In 2019 when we go to renew drivers licenses we'll try to get things corrected while we are there so I can get an online account too.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Mine is due next month and I should receive my notice in my incoming mail tomorrow, so about 30 to 45 days out. Mine is also on the web as I have set up an account to pay them when due.

JimR

simsfmly
Explorer
Explorer
If you're just renewing the plates (new stickers), doing it online is about as minimal as you can get: $0.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have a mail service in SD? My service handled this for me at a minimal cost.

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
DUH Me It's the license plates
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

simsfmly
Explorer
Explorer
SGTJOE wrote:
How far ahead does South Dakota send out license renewals? Mine is due end of Sept. This is through Americas Mail Box.

Are you talking about your driver's license or your license plates?

Driver's License can be renewed up to 6 months prior to your brith date. You get one five year "grand father" where you don't have to go in and get new pics. You still have to spend one night in state (save your receipt).

License plates can be renewed at https://sdcars.org You can set a reminder there. We're America's Mailbox people, also, but we do everything at that website. They send stickers and/or plates. Those can be renewed up to 90 days prior and 30 days after expiration.

Hope that helps.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
SGTJOE wrote:

About 2 mos before renew for tags.

I just received a Birthday Wish from the Governor 6 weeks before my birthday reminding me to renew my drivers licence. I'm going to be out of the state then so getting a 60 day extension. Funny thing, my DW received a post card reminding her she could renew up to 6 months before her birthday.

We get our mail every 2 weeks while stopped maybe less often if were moving without a planned intineray.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

robbiesgram
Explorer
Explorer
Unless they have changed things, your license is due on your birthday. You can renew up to 180 days prior to the expiration date.

If you are unable to get back to SD to physically renew it, you can get an extension for up to a year, that way if yours is in Sept & your spouses is in July or maybe Nov., you can get both of them renewed. Call America's Mailbox & they should be able to help you with the paperwork.

If you go back, be sure you get a cg or motel receipt in both your names, it is one of the requirements for a license.

I'm not sure about renewing by mail, that would be something else to ask America's Mailbox to get the latest update.

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
Don't have SD, but looks like they're like TX and allow on-line renewals. I get an email mail renewal each year then go on-line to handle it. No paper involved other than receiving the sticker in the mail later.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
forgot to mark it
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am