cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camplite

Capeteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Nissan Xterra which has a towing capacity of 5000lbs. I am looking at the Camplite RBS 21. According to the manufacture sticker the dry weight is 3500lbs. I figure with 1000lbs of cargo I still would be under the Xterra towing capacity and I should be able to tow. What are some thoughts on this idea?
25 REPLIES 25

Capeteacher
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
Tongue weight for hitch, cargo weight of Xterra. Don't understand how cargo weight effects what you can tow.

GVWR is constant and does not change, regardless of what you tow. ... For example, if you have a 5,000-pound truck with a 6,200 pound GVWR, you can safely carry 1,200 pounds in the vehicle. If you are towing a trailer with a 300-pound tongue weight, the amount of passengers and gear you can carry decreases to 900 pounds.

Got it.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tongue weight for hitch, cargo weight of Xterra. Don't understand how cargo weight effects what you can tow.

GVWR is constant and does not change, regardless of what you tow. ... For example, if you have a 5,000-pound truck with a 6,200 pound GVWR, you can safely carry 1,200 pounds in the vehicle. If you are towing a trailer with a 300-pound tongue weight, the amount of passengers and gear you can carry decreases to 900 pounds.

ttavasc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a chart I keep handy for referencing recommended trailer length for a given TV wheel base length:

Wheel Base Recommendations
TT: 2019 ORV Timber Ridge 23DBS, Blue Ox SwayPro 15K/1500
TV: 2019 F-250 XLT SuperCab LB, 6.2L, 4.30/e-locker, 164" WB, 4x4, Roadmaster Active Suspension

Capeteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, awesome info

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Capeteacher wrote:
Ok so my Xterra is automatic which has 5000lbs towing and I'm pretty sure the tow hitch is 500lbs.
After reading through the responses these are the things to consider:

Length of trailer to length of Xterra.
Gross weight
Dry weight
Weight distribution hitch/ electric brakes, not sure where these brakes are.
Tire rating
Anything else.
I am planning to go to the RV show in Hershey Pa in Sept. If I don't make that one then the Edison NJ show in January.
I am in know hurry, I want to do this right the first time.
Thanks for all your help .

Not Xterra total length, so much as wheelbase. When front and rear axles are close together, the fulcrum effect of the trailer has more impact. Long wb vehicles like pickups and some vans better resist the side to side torque of the trailer on the hitch ball. Thus a shorter TT is like a shorter lever and is more manageable. Most anti-sway hitches or friction bars help control sway after it starts but do not eliminate it from starting, so they are not an end-all. Hensley Arrow and Pro Pride hitches have different geometry and may actually eliminate sway, but at a high $$ price and they are heavy.

Also, a longer TT is more able to become too nose heavy if loaded incorrectly, just like moving in or out on a teeter-totter. I once towed a 23', 3500 lb TT, 380 lb dry hitch, with a 6000/600 lb rated suv, and I bent a rear spring because I had too much weight up front including 30 gallons of water and a 90 lb WD hitch.

Best to have LT (not P) tires on the tug, and some go to a lower profile tire also. A stiff, short sidewall reduces tire squirm under sideways pressure, and aids handling when towing. Use max pressure listed on tire sidewall for all tires.

Cargo weight: if you were carrying 4 adult passengers plus some heavy gear, you might max out payload before even setting the trailer onto the ball. Hitch weight is part of payload. It can be a factor, but probably not in your situation.

Most but not all TTs come with drum brakes on one or more axles. But you need a controller installed up front to actuate them when you step on the pedal. Also a controller has a lever for actuating TT brakes alone...if you ever did have a TT start to oscillate (sway) wildly, you apply TT brakes only while maintaining vehicle speed, to bring the TT back into line.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Capeteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Ok so my Xterra is automatic which has 5000lbs towing and I'm pretty sure the tow hitch is 500lbs.
After reading through the responses these are the things to consider:

Length of trailer to length of Xterra.
Gross weight
Dry weight
Weight distribution hitch/ electric brakes, not sure where these brakes are.
Tire rating
Anything else.
I am planning to go to the RV show in Hershey Pa in Sept. If I don't make that one then the Edison NJ show in January.
I am in know hurry, I want to do this right the first time.
Thanks for all your help .

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
OldShu wrote:
A Lance 1575 could work and be much more comfortable when not entertaining. Full size queen bed, dinette could be the extra bed when needed. Much more exterior storage. Still fits the weight #s. A little better actually.

I like the CL trailers but to be semi-full timing in that BH, IDK. Seating and bed comfort would play a huge factor one would think. I would not want to put up and take down a bed daily.

http://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/1575/

That would work, however I bet the bathroom cannot be accessed with the slide in. Hard to make a quick pit stop during travel.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass

OldShu
Explorer
Explorer
A Lance 1575 could work and be much more comfortable when not entertaining. Full size queen bed, dinette could be the extra bed when needed. Much more exterior storage. Still fits the weight #s. A little better actually.

I like the CL trailers but to be semi-full timing in that BH, IDK. Seating and bed comfort would play a huge factor one would think. I would not want to put up and take down a bed daily.

http://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/1575/
'17 Lance 1475 w/160 w solar, Grp 31 Deep Cycl Trojan, Tire Traker TPMS, Prog. Ind. EMS-PT30C

'17 Ridgeline RTL AWD Equalizer 600/6000

Living the dream Thanks! How about you?

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the '80s I towed a 13' egg trailer 2000 miles with a Dodge Omni. :D. I would tow with an Xterra ( if I could get past the stiff ride), as long as the TT was sized appropriately.

But yeah, some forum members would sniff and turn up their noses at the idea.

That CL16BHB has bunks. It could work.

Any trailer you seriosly consider, take a half hour or more inside without the salesman. Sit in it, lie on the bed, imagine what would go in which cupboard or drawer. Think whether You would be ok sitting inside it all day in bad weather.

You have the right idea. No better way to see the country and experience the great outdoors.
Mike G.

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Now I'm a big fan of Camplite, and think it still has possibilities for you and your tow rig, if properly setup. The right WD hitch, of course good brake controller. If you are the primary occupant in the Xterra, then you may have the cargo capacity to handle the tongue weight safely with creative packaging.

So here's another idea, not as slick as the camplite, but pretty cool in their own way.
Riverside Retro 177SE twin- post

Edit (and Hijack...)
I don't advocate towing at max limits or overloading, I just wonder if we've developed a knee-jerk reaction without looking into the details of possibilities every time we talk about towing with a certain vehicle and trailer. I tow with my Ford van, my daily is an '02 full size Montero, same ratings as OP. I'm setting up my Montero to tow my trailer as a backup since it as 4WD, 4.30 gears, and a 5-speed select shift Aisin transmission with all the HD cooling systems on the truck. In Australia, the Montero is badged as a Pajero, generally most caravan towing is done with small to mid size SUVS. Now I understand many are diesel as well, but my point is, they don't think twice about it, they just setup appropriately and hit the road (and off road too).

Good video on WD hitches from the Aussies:
WD hitches explained- "Goo-Day mate"

Now this one is a diesel, which we can't get here, however they don't shy away from towing with the gas models either with the proper setup, so why are we so reluctant?
Pajero caravan towing review

Back to your regularly scheduled program
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

Capeteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I retired from teaching 2 yrs ago, taught HS science and was the athletic trainer for the district.
My idea for getting the trailer is to be able to have an affordable place to stay while traveling the country. I have no real camping experience total novice would be a better description. I would mostly be alone but sometimes my nephew and his girlfriend will be joining me. He is about 6'3" and I want something that would be comfortable for all of us especially if there is bad weather and we all have to be inside together. I was thing also about getting one with bunks which I can use for storage then have beds for guests.
I love my Xterra it is 2 yrs old. It's the 2nd one I've owned, so I plan on keeping it, therefore the trailer needs to fit the car and be able to accommodate guests.
I have gotten excellent advice here which is the reason I originally posted the question.
All the information and advice is greatly appreciated.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
You know how to tell if an rv salesman is lying, right? If his lips move... ๐Ÿ˜‰

I think Xterras might be rated to tow 5000/500 with Auto and wd hitch, or 3500/350 with stick. A dealer can run your vin and tell you exactly what YOUR truck can tow.

Suppose you have AT. Where is the fresh water tank on that unit? If up front, you'd have to travel without water. I would go back to the dealer and have them weigh the tongue (right under the ball socket) while a full LP tank and a battery are sitting in place; if that weight is under 450lbs, I'd say you might make it work with a lightweight WD hitch. Maybe! But you would have to load gear toward the back, and constantly worry about it. Not fun.

CL16BHB has the lightest hitch, 300 lbs.

A 16' Scamp would be a good choice.

What do you teach? I taught 7th grade math last year. Hoo wee! Back to the business world for me, I loved teaching but hated the disrespect and misbehavior and sheer laziness.
Mike G.

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Let's think a little more about your goals...

-How do you camp now? (tent, popup, etc).
-Where do you plan to camp? (state parks, back country, etc.)
-Do you want bath/shower in the trailer, or use campground facilities?
-Cook inside or outside? (a great number of us cook outside).
-How many people will you need to house/sleep?
-Do you need to take gear; bikes, kayaks, atv, etc?

This will help you determine what kind of trailer would be best, if you want to use the Xterra. As a first time buyer, you can see this decision can eat up a budget quick. It's no fun getting all setup with new trailer, and the new tow rig, then spending your camp time worrying about the extra work at the job you'll have to do to pay for everything.

We went from two tents to a home-built cargo trailer conversion. It is amazingly comfortable, useful, modular, and paid for. We often are asked to "tour" it when we're out camping.

Adding to the suggestions posted, I really like these little trailers. Designed to also be mini-toy haulers, I see some very much "convertible" use possibilities. Certainly would fit your Xterra tow capacity.
Intech RV Max Flyer Plus mini camper

Oh, our need was primarily gear hauler and camper, nothing made suited our needs for the budget. May not suit you but, can generate some ideas, so here's ours: (You'd need to shrink your version a little)
7x16 Cargo Trailer Conversion

Best of luck.
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
In this below link, if you look at the black line you'll see some different models of mini trailers like Aliner,Little guy, shadow . Depending on your camping style, you might be able to use something smaller if you use campgrounds with showers.
If you use campgrounds with hookups like electric and water, then you won't need a monster battery that weighs 75 lbs on the trailers tongue. You could get by with a much smaller lighter battery. Maybe you can get by with a porta-potty and not a full bathroom or maybe you could get by with an outside kitchen model.
Most of the time, we cook outside, our trailer kitchen doesn't get as much cook time as our outdoor camp stove that we always bring along.

If you really want or need to keep your Nissan "X" you might look at something smaller. RENTING something from a local dealership for a few short trips might be a good idea to actually see how certain units will tow behind your "X" . Then decide if the "X" will work or not.

http://littleguytrailers.com/cs-s/