cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New RV toilet needed

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
Some good friends of ours who also have a TT realized that their toilet was no longer holding water in the bowl and now the toilet needs to be replaced. Anyone know of any good deals around? (They would love to get something a little taller than standard if possible.) Thanks in advance!
2020 Heartland Wilderness 2500RL
2013 Ford F-150 3.5L Eccoboost Supercrew 4x4, Max tow package
2 Honda 2000 watt Generators
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan
Days camped so far in 2020: 0
18 REPLIES 18

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
I am so unhandy that I have trouble replacing a light bulb but have in the past 7 years replaced the toilet seal twice. A real no brainer. As others have said You Tube or if it is a Thetford they sell seal replacement kits with detailed instructions.
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I've had better luck with Dometic than Thetford.
As mentioned, buy a tall porcelain unit.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Had problems about 1 yr. ago with my Thetford. Purchased a Dometic 320 and am thrilled with it. Much easier maintenance if there is a problem. I got elongated bowl. You might have to change the water supply routing slightly to accommodate the input. If you don't have a shut off valve, it would be a good time to add one.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We like our Thetford Residence toilet which we had installed by our dealer. At 79 yo I don't do toilets.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
LeBout wrote:
Some of you suggested repairing the broken seal. What would you suggest as a starting point for someone who has never attempted such a repair?

I'd suggest to start with the easier repairs--clean the seal seating groove, the seal, and use some olive oil on the seal. If the seal needs replacement, the toilet needs to be removed from the rubber closet seal and flange (typically two bolts and the water supply line). Replacing the rubber closet seal for reinstallation is a good practice.

FWIW, I raised my toilet by building a 1 1/2" High platform. The toilet is attached to the pipe and closet flange/seal on top of the platform. I had to make sure that the pipe to the tank was long enough to raise the closet flange the 1 1/2".

My efforts were to save the avocado green toilet that was original to the trailer. It matches the green shower stall. While I had it removed, I cleaned up all the working bits and replaced the flush spring. After hitting it with rubbing compound, it shined like a new penny. :B
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
path1 wrote:
OK, joking only.

Go to RV dealer ask them if they stand behind their products if yes, try before you buy:)

LOL.....and make sure they're standing behind it while you try it.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

path1
Explorer
Explorer
OK, joking only.

Go to RV dealer ask them if they stand behind their products if yes, try before you buy:)
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Whether you choose to buy it a CW or not.....most of the stores have a real nice display of all the different types of toiets available for the RV.

It's where I went to learn about 'all' the different toilets available up close and personal. :W

I would definitely look into getting a taller one then what RV's come with that matches the height of the one in your house. Makes for a better experience.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

IT_Burnout
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Thetford Aqua Magic in our 5th wheel and at times the water valve wouldnโ€™t shut off after flushing, it would fill the toilet then run slowly until it over flowed on the floor. Not saying the Thetfordโ€™s are bad just relaying what we had going on with ours. If you read the reviews a few other folks have had that issue too. We didnโ€™t want to mess with changing the water valve any more (3 times) so we just pulled it out and put in a new Dometic 320 with the sprayer for cleaning. Two nuts to remove at the base and a water line to unhook. A little floor cleanup and drop the bolts in and tighten it down. Then hook up the water line and its a done deal. DW and I are in our mid 60โ€™s and have health issue, so we wonโ€™t take on anything too tough. It took us maybe 2 hours to do the whole thing. Go out to you tube and you can see whatโ€™s involved its a pretty easy fix if you decide to replace it.
2017 Chevy Duramax LTZ with Z71
2018 Cedar Creek 34RL2 Hathaway Edition

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Toddupton wrote:
LeBout wrote:
Some of you suggested repairing the broken seal. What would you suggest as a starting point for someone who has never attempted such a repair?

YouTube

There is your answer.

Not only for rv toilets but just about anything in life. If you want to know how to do anything , 'youtube' it.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Thetford porcelain.

These are so much better than plastic. Expensive, yep. Not a 'good deal', but a good toilet.

I agree, we've got the same model, ie the China bowl in the tall model.

But, like others have said, if you're up to it, you just might be able to fix your old one. Basically, the toilet never wears out, just the components like the seal, valve, etc, go bad and are easily replaced.

If you want an upgrade though, go with the one in the posted link by 2oldman.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
LeBout wrote:

YouTube

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
LeBout wrote:
Some of you suggested repairing the broken seal. W
That is a lot more difficult than it appears, which is why I recommended a new one.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Heartland Wilderness 2500RL
2013 Ford F-150 3.5L Eccoboost Supercrew 4x4, Max tow package
2 Honda 2000 watt Generators
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan
Days camped so far in 2020: 0