cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

crossing border with food

bdhoun
Explorer
Explorer
Heading to the states for a couple weeks and will be crossing at Niagara Falls. Not sure which crossing yet, but will pick the one with the shortest wait. What food can we take? At this point we are thinking that we will NOT take any meat, fruit, or veggies. But are there currently any restrictions?
'14 Ford F-150 eco screw max tow, 3.5, 3.73's
'16 Freedom Express 257 BHS
and Equal-i-zer
15 REPLIES 15

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
You can get the "agricultural inspection" on a random basis, no matter what you tell the guy at the booth.

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Try growing a garden, that'll teach you.

Next, find out how to grow vegetables without insect repellent. Example, use soap in a 2 gallon watering can and put that over your cabbage and cauliflower once a week.

๐Ÿ˜›
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:
VE3ESN wrote:
On a previous trip to the US, we had some Canadian vegetables with us and were told to move over to a building where they performed an "agricultural inspection". Some of our stuff was confiscated. ๐Ÿ˜ž The inspector said they were looking for insects.

So on the last trip to the US, we decided to take no food at all (except for some gluten-free US-made bread since DW has celiac disease). The border crossing was rapid and smooth. For our first stop, we found an Aldi store and stocked up on dairy, canned goods, and snacks. (Too bad Aldi isn't in Canada!)

This may sound a bit extreme, but the hassle of an agricultural inspection just isn't worth it, in our humble opinion.

Insects?
Thats weird,what insects are in Canada that arent in US already?

None that we're aware of!! We were surprised and rather annoyed at the hour-long "inspection" and confiscation of perfectly good veggies
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
VE3ESN wrote:
On a previous trip to the US, we had some Canadian vegetables with us and were told to move over to a building where they performed an "agricultural inspection". Some of our stuff was confiscated. ๐Ÿ˜ž The inspector said they were looking for insects.

So on the last trip to the US, we decided to take no food at all (except for some gluten-free US-made bread since DW has celiac disease). The border crossing was rapid and smooth. For our first stop, we found an Aldi store and stocked up on dairy, canned goods, and snacks. (Too bad Aldi isn't in Canada!)

This may sound a bit extreme, but the hassle of an agricultural inspection just isn't worth it, in our humble opinion.

Insects?
Thats weird,what insects are in Canada that arent in US already?

rbrand
Explorer
Explorer
almcc wrote:
While you can't avoid the "flavour of the month" issues (what's banned this month),we didn't have any problems crossing either way (US or Canada)this week and last week. We try to cross with minimum food and we have some pre-cooked frozen meals to keep us until we shop.

It was tough on our dog to get his dog food taken in previous years though!

One time we had some frozen stew. They took it, defrosted it and gave us back the container.
The less you plan the more options you have.

Currently with a 26' Forest River Class "C"

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired

Community Alumni
Not applicable
sljohnson1938 wrote:
and the border agents ate a hearty meal.

No, it actually gets trashed.

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
and the border agents ate a hearty meal.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer

Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Kevinwa wrote:
We just spent three nights in Montana, crossing at the Chief Mountain crossing south of Waterton Alberta. Go over the link others have posted above for lists of fruits that are and are not allowed. The main thing is citrus that is not allowed. We were only asked upon crossing if we had any citrus or firewood. We knew the citrus rule in advance, and had finished our oranges off the day prior. We had no issues. The linked us gov site says that they may limit beef.

This is pretty much the way it was in 2000 the last time we drove both ways to AK and again in 2011 when we hopscotched back and for the from ND to Maine.

But wo funny things did happen to us, returning home in 2000 we crossed some where into Washington State, the DW forgot the cardinal rule of Look Agents in the Eye and no un-necessary talk. We had been flagged on through by the agent talking to me when she said "Only the $1.89 lime we bought in AK. Oops!

The second was going into Canada from ND and when I was asked about firewood, I said sure we have some. I had the keys ready and told the agent where it was.. He came back from checking with a cross look on his face and said to me, " I meant logs or cut firewood not dimensional lumber". I replied, you ask about firewood and I'm not about to tell you anything more that yes or no until your official questioning is complete. Then we ask for and got a great referral for lunch just up the road a few miles. Really nice agent.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
While you can't avoid the "flavour of the month" issues (what's banned this month),we didn't have any problems crossing either way (US or Canada)this week and last week. We try to cross with minimum food and we have some pre-cooked frozen meals to keep us until we shop.

It was tough on our dog to get his dog food taken in previous years though!

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
We just spent three nights in Montana, crossing at the Chief Mountain crossing south of Waterton Alberta. Go over the link others have posted above for lists of fruits that are and are not allowed. The main thing is citrus that is not allowed. We were only asked upon crossing if we had any citrus or firewood. We knew the citrus rule in advance, and had finished our oranges off the day prior. We had no issues. The linked us gov site says that they may limit beef.

dbob62180
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned to the states today after 6 weeks in Canada. There are currently no alerts so most food for personal use is okay. We were not asked about about food either going into Canada nor returning. They did not look in our rig. We did not carry fruit or eggs. We did not carry guns or liquor. This website contains the most current info:
www.ezbordercrossing.com

Have a great trip!

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Peameal bacon is allowed if you want to bring me some
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

clarkster
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/clearing-cbp/bringing-agricultural-products-united-states#
2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Laramie crew CTD
2017 Jayco Flight SLX Baja package