cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carrying Options for Full Size TV Spare

cjunken
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a 2013 Ford Explorer as my TV. I've come to realize that the Explorer currently doesn't have a full size spare with it. I'd really like to have one on hand, but am not sure how I would carry that. Any options or recommendations?
I do have a rack on the TT for its spare and wondered if I could somehow add on to that, but haven't had much luck figuring that out.
Thanks for any advice.
5 REPLIES 5

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
My 2004 Ford F 150 has the spare mounted underneath the bed, unlock the cover and insert the jack handle to let it down.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
skipro wrote:
You should have a well behind the rear bumper where the spare is carried. Full size spares were an option, so the space should accommodate it. Check your manual for operation.

Correct. Many did come with full-size spares. They were/are optional on all models, and standard on some (like the Sport... Probably Platinum too). All you need is the new spare and a foam surround made for the full size spare.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

QFamCA
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding the trailer bumper, I would not add another tire or anything else for that matter. You will find a lot of info here and online of why. Essentially most bumpers are not designed to carry weight and often have weak connection points that will sag or break with weight. The manufacturer may list max weights but if it was me, I would play it safe on not add anything else to it.
2015 Coleman Expedition LT CTS15BH
2017 Chevy Colorado LT V6 3.6L

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
or a rack on the roof.

skipro
Explorer
Explorer
You should have a well behind the rear bumper where the spare is carried. Full size spares were an option, so the space should accommodate it. Check your manual for operation.