cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

fridge on the fritz rant

raychris1
Explorer
Explorer
Bought our new to us Coleman two weeks ago. Already posted about awning problem. Get to the campsite and plug in the shore power. Checked the fridge and find it hot. I had plugged it in and put it on electric 18 hours before trip. Campground is only 1 hour away. Next day it is still hot. Called previous owner to see if there is any trick to a Coleman versus a Jayco. He assured me it worked in all three modes. Tried to run it on propane and did not have any luck. We will wait a few weeks and see if we can get it looked at. Had a good time even with having to get a spare cooler and ice every day due to 95 degree weather.
Ray and Chris
2022 Open Roads 26BH
2013 F-150
18 REPLIES 18

raychris1
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked up the TT from the shop. Turns out the problem was an electrical element. Had the shop winterize it and the total cost was $325.00. Now we have to get a new awning and we will be set for next spring.
Ray and Chris
2022 Open Roads 26BH
2013 F-150

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
raychris1 wrote:
The fridge is not a manual light. It has a dial and a push button to light the propane. It has a peep hole to make sure the pilot light is on.

Yes, your fridge is a manual light fridge that requires no 12 vdc to operate in the gas mode, unlike a DSI fridge that does. When you push that button that's what you're doing - lighting the fridge manually. Your fridge also has no "pilot light" as that flame you see is as big as it gets, consuming ~ 625 BTU per hour, meaning it could easily run constantly for over a month on a 20 lb tank. To repeat - your battery has nothing to do with operating this fridge in the gas mode.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

raychris1
Explorer
Explorer
I have checked and replaced the battery. It was dead. I plugged it in yesterday with shore power and checked it this morning and no joy.I have also checked the fuses. They looked good but I replaced them anyway. The fridge is not a manual light. It has a dial and a push button to light the propane. It has a peep hole to make sure the pilot light is on. I checked the outlet the fridge is plugged into and it is working. I will wait till this evening and check again. I expect I will not get good results. I guess I will try the propane this weekend again since I replaced the battery.
Ray and Chris
2022 Open Roads 26BH
2013 F-150

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
raychris1 wrote:
It is a Dometic and all the controls are on the outside. I tried several times to use it with propane and I heard the click but did not see any flame in the peep hole. I take it that the fridge will not operate on propane with a dead battery?

If it's a Dometic it's most likely an RM2193 which is a manual light fridge and doesn't require 12 vdc to operate in the gas or 120 vac modes. Your battery has nothing to do with the fridge.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SAR Tracker wrote:
Make sure your batteries are fully charged - the fridge requires 12vdc to run the electronics. Even plugged into shore power.

The OP's "new" popup is a 2001 Coleman Sun Valley which has a manual light 3-way gas absorption fridge that does not need 12 vdc to operate in the gas or 120 vac modes as it has no electronics, no direct spark ignition. The only time they'd want to run it on 12 vdc is when traveling and only if the tow vehicle is equipped with a charge line wired out to Pin 4 of the Bargman connector.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
In as much as it's a 2001 trailer, just get a new battery and call it good. I'm sure it's a flooded cell and if it has been below 50% charge, it's toast anyway. Probably a Group 27. A quick 60 bucks will put you back in business again (battery wise). Fridge wise, you may have other issues.

The fridge will not operate with an almost dead battery. Your cabin lights may work but I think (Mr. Biscuit will know for sure) that any voltage below 11 volts won't operate the control unit.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

raychris1
Explorer
Explorer
It is a Dometic and all the controls are on the outside. I tried several times to use it with propane and I heard the click but did not see any flame in the peep hole. I take it that the fridge will not operate on propane with a dead battery? I will have to take the battery off and have it tested.
Ray and Chris
2022 Open Roads 26BH
2013 F-150

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
One thing we do know Mr. Biscuit is, it's a side venter (tent camper)and we also know that OP has no way of checking battery voltage (just because the lights glow don't mean the battery has much poop). I bet it's a Dometic and has to have 12 volt power to work.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
HEY OP.........

Post Brand/Model of fridge

Post what it does..has lights, display panel works, can swap from AUTO to GAS
OR
Post what it does NOT do......

With more information ideas can be posted as to issue

3 modes.....means it should work on 120V AC electric element, should work on Propane and should work on 12V DC electric element

Most likely a 'small' compact fridge....Dometic ?

Gives us more info...OK!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
theczar wrote:
Just to set expectations correctly, even in the best of cases do NOT expect to have anywhere near the cooling you have on a regular fridge or even a regular size RV fridge.

That is phooey......

If an ammonia fridge is set up properly and able to rid itself of excess heat, and operated level, there is no reason why it cannot operate as well as a compressor fridge.

Issues arise when people don't adhere to correct operating principles.
2015 Backpack SS1500

raychris1
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I am a trusting person so no I didn't check everything out in the few days before we left. And yes he said they all work at the tome he sold it too me. He also confirmed that all three options worked when I called him from the campsite.
Ray and Chris
2022 Open Roads 26BH
2013 F-150

theczar
Explorer
Explorer
Just to set expectations correctly, even in the best of cases do NOT expect to have anywhere near the cooling you have on a regular fridge or even a regular size RV fridge.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Previous owner said it worked in all three modes, did he say it worked in all three modes when he sold it to you?
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
What amazes me is the OP did not try ouut all systems BEFORE his trip
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind