cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie boondocker seeks LTVA with internet

outwestbound
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. I've been a fulltimer park rat for a couple years, but will start boondocking this winter in southwest US. I just installed 960 watts of PV panels and 830AH batt bank and amps for cell and wifi. Also, I'm getting an extra water bladder and macerator/tote for black water. I'm in a fifth wheel with 100 gallons of water, 38 black, 72 grey, with 18 gallons of propane (2 x 40#).

I'm trying to find a BLM LTVA location where my WiFi Ranger Elite and weboost 4G-X will find a signal, because I still work. I haven't used either amp yet so I really don't know their capability. I'd like to be able to watch youtube videos. I'll use my satellite for TV.

Don't know if this kind of connectivity is ridiculous or whether there are suitable locations. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'd like to stay in this spot for 3-4 months.

Thanks
2011 F350 6.7L, 4WD, DRW, 8' bed, Reese Elite 25K
2011 Carri-Lite 36XTRM5, MOR/ryde IS, 8K disc brakes, 17.5" wheels/G114s
Solar: 960 watts, 3,000 hybrid inverter, 830 AH bank, 2 controllers
IT: weboost 4G-X, WiFi Ranger Elite Pack
24 REPLIES 24

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the heads up, much appreciated!

Cee ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
All of the Quartzsite LTVA's have good AT&T service. It will bog down during the mid January RV show madness, but even the southern LTVA's are good. Just in case anyone asks, Verizon is also good...

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
Not that I want to hijack the thread but any idea of how the AT&T service is in the greater Quartzsite area?
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
Never had a problem with Verizon without an amplifier any place on Imperial Dam LTVA
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
BoonHauler wrote:
Has anyone confirmed AT&T internet at Imperial Dam? ...... I hear it's windy there as well.
I've been there for part of the last 3 winters & I can confirm that there IS NO AT&T service at most of Imperial Dam. I did find a few locations where I could get one bar using a Wilson Sleek amplifier with a Trucker Antenna, but most areas showed no service.

On the other hand, with an amplifier, I had no problems with Verizon.

As to windy, at times everywhere in the southwest is windy during the winter. I didn't find Imperial Dam any worse than Quartzsite...

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone confirmed AT&T internet at Imperial Dam? ...... I hear it's windy there as well.
2014 BoonHauler 3614

outwestbound
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I've decided on Imperial Dam LTVA.

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
All of the LTVAs have good Verizonwireless service, most have AT&T. Have you looked at the AT&T Connected Car Mobley plan, $20/mo unlimited.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
In many cases in Arizona the 14-days BLM areas are right next to the long-term areas.... same cell service which is more likely - good... at least that's what we found our with Verizon.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Off_Pavement
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a bit of official info...

Bishop BLM - Eastern Sierra Long Term Camping

El Centro BLM - 4 LVTA area descriptions and fees

Arizona BLM - Information about Imperial Dam and La Posa LTVAs
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

JFNM
Explorer
Explorer
outwestbound wrote:
I suspect many are responding for typical BLM land...

I don't know (nor need to know) your reasons for the LTVA but there are MANY options in the west (BLM, National Forest, Bureau of Reclamation, etc.). It often takes a few years to sort of figure out what one likes so, my suggestion, keep your options open and do some experimentation.

outwestbound wrote:
For cellular, I have Verizon's unlimited, which throttles me to 3G after 10GB of LTE, which is ok I guess, since much of what I'd receive is 3G anyway (I assume).

On Verizon, if I have a reasonable signal it is 4G. If signal is very weak it will likely be 3G (in my experience).

outwestbound wrote:
I suspect I'd be fine in "BLM" areas with just my 4" stuffy antenna. BUT (and I'm not sure yet), I suspect that if I'm in LTVA areas, that I'll end up with a pole rig antenna like yours.

I would bet nearly the opposite. The LTVA's are all near some amount of population/Interstate (= reasonable cell signal) - you probably won't need an amplifier nor external antenna to have good signal. The times I have had to really fight for a signal is when many miles from anything (town, Interstate, main highway, etc..) or in a canyon.

outwestbound wrote:
Is your pole mounted antenna directional or omnidirectional?

Omni. One could put more work into a solution than I have but I too am lazy. The pole is one of the fiberglass shafts used for wind kite things (http://jdfinley.com/cellular-data-antenna/).
JD - Full timer out west
1998 MCI 102-EL3 Revolution | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures

MrWizard
I'm trying to find a BLM LTVA location where my WiFi Ranger Elite and weboost 4G-X will find a signal, because I still work. I haven't used either amp yet so I really don't know their capability.

The only WiFi the ranger is going to find is your hotspot, or another campers hotspot
BLM land doesn't have WiFi

You didn't say where you are going, but there are cell towers all around 'Q'
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
To map the towers in a given area
www.antennasearch.com
But often you dont know what runs off a given tower it locates. Also you will need an address to search based on.

Also check on the google playstore or app store.
There are numerous apps for that purpose. But the use of the repeaters and boosters enlarge the coverage areas considerably.

outwestbound
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Is there a way to map the cell towers near a specific location, such as Quartzite?

I think yes, but I don't know what app to use.