cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Quest for My Perfect Camper

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer
Thought this would be a good spot for this as would could help those along the path of purchase.

I will start by saying there is no one size fits all and to each their own. These are my observations.
Second, there really is no Perfect Trailer, we only come as close as we can to our wants.

Let's start!

I started this quest about a month ago after I learned my wife doesn't do as well as I hope on the water (ya, I was headed for a boat). So I moved on to land base travel. I came across this forum only a couple weeks back and have for this site to be very informative, active and a few jokesters to keep it lively!

For us, this not a weekend nor week vacation type of thing. We will be living in for extended periods, so size (layout) matters.

Day one of the RV Sales places.

This was Campers World. One of the largest in NH and a great place to start!

We start with the Class 3 Motorhome. This seemed like a possible choice and they had a few starting in at 67K. Considering a TT and a vehicle to tow, well can hit that $$ pretty quick.
Well, they came off the list pretty quick! What I thought they were is not reality. They are small when driving. Open them up when parked and we still felt much too small.

Took a quick look at the van campers and basically ran away.

My wife dragged me through a couple Class A's and knowing their way out of the budget and how nice they are, I really didn't even want to look, but good to for comparison.

Onward to the Travel Trailers. Two stuck out for the day.

First was the Prowler. Real nice kitchen (double bowl sink) and Frig of real size (6 cubic feet I believe, maybe a tad bigger). Full enclosed bath (which the wife wants) and good bedroom (I want twins, but all seem to come as Queens). The dinette slide out (side) is what we want (we now know). The longer units (30ft+) meant a longer slide-out and really made it spacious.
Con: Well, wood framed.. bummer, cause they're priced well! And the23ft really hit the mark for size and dollar.
Price about 23K for the 26ft we liked. AC and heater included.

Next came the Colemen Lantern series:

This one will stay on the list! All metal framed, no wood, Solar prep'd and outside kitchen, enclosed bath and bedroom, side dinette slide-out (found we really like this).
Looked at both the 23ft and 26ft and could go either way (26ft obviously roomier and nice sitting area in rear).

The 23ft we decided would be our choice and came in just under 20K

Lesson learned from the day. I need to look at a Toy Hauler and price them. Since I'm looking for open space that could be and answer for me.

So we've decided the Class A & C Motor Homes are out. As well as the Van Camper. The Travel Camper looks like our best bet.

Here's the list to Date:

#1 Is the Alto Safari. extremely light weight, not expandable but the roof raises to make it a real Travel Camper (tear-drop in transport mode). 3.? CuFt Frig, exterior shower (interior toilet), solar panel and windows galore! 34K 16 month delivery

#2 right now is the Coleman 230. Side dinette slide out, 6 Cuft frig, full bath, queen bed (which I'd probably tear out and do as I really want). $19,900

#3 Could be the Riverside Dream. I'm awaiting response from them to see if they'll customize for me. I'm looking at their 23ft model. Also side slide-out dinette (smaller than Coleman's), full bath, and nice kitchen. $20K

Much more to come as I proceed!
Tent to Pop-up to 5th wheel, currently without and wanting...
54 REPLIES 54

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Finding the right camper is easy ! We have had 14 of them in 35 years , each one was perfect and the last one that we would have to buy .

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Congrats on the awesome new setup!
We camp mostly backwoods or at the most, at sparse NF campgrounds. If we went away from the TC, a Rpod like that or something similar would be at the top of the list.
All the amenities, small, light, easy to turn, yet spacious and great ground clearance.

Look forward to some awesome adventures!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer
The Rpod 182g became our choice of campers. Now we just updated The TV to a 2017 Tacoma. Yes with the tow package.

Camper now in play, TV now in play, time for us to go into play!

My choices of camper came from 'our' needs and style of camping. Not everyone's and debatable if 'perfect'. Yet it's as close as 'we' could come to what 'we' require.

First trip in the works. Trial runs being planed. The fun stuff now happens!

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
When you find the perfect RV, let me know. I'd like to see this unicorn. ๐Ÿ™‚

In all my years, I've found any RV is a compromise. You just have to find one that checks off most of the important boxes, without having too many negatives that become deal killers.

That's exactly what I just did. Came as close as possible. Read my last post. That's the one we decided upon.

My choice may not be anyone else's. Yet you can see how I went about it, research and excepting input.

Thank you all for your help along the way!

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
When you find the perfect RV, let me know. I'd like to see this unicorn. ๐Ÿ™‚

In all my years, I've found any RV is a compromise. You just have to find one that checks off most of the important boxes, without having too many negatives that become deal killers.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer
Decision was made today. We decided to go with the RPOD 182g. Our order is in place and will deliver next Spring (as we requested).

http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=173&Image=5054&ShowParent=1&ModelID=976#Main

Main deciding factors:
1) Decided we want to be able to place the trailer and drive around the area we're camped at.

2) Weight of trailer. For the size and accommodations, it fit what we're looking for.

3) Has the outside living we want. The Garage may seem weird too most, but the interior kitchen to us is a place to make coffee and breakfast.

4) Size/layout. It fits the basic requirements of giving me a spot to work and Wife a space to relax while I do. The added R-Dome gives us more!

5) Size again. It fits in the barn when stored.

6) Value. I've researched re-sale and see it really would cost me to re-sell in a couple years if indeed we wish to move up to a Class 3 or the boat I really want. Both is not beyond the idea!

7) Warranty. This came from my Dealer I bought it at. Forest River only goes a year, but my Dealer, $1600 extended it to 5yrs. Get this, Bumper to Bumper. I spent 1hr going over this and when I asked for it in writing, he handed me a pre-printed warranty. He will fix or replace for 5yrs Bumper to Bumper. Not sure why Forest River won't do that, but very happy my Dealer will.

๐Ÿ˜Ž Cost. This is small enough dollar to test the adventure and have value if it goes south on us. Buying at this time of year is where the good pricing happens.

The RPOD rally is nothing more than a pregnant Teardrop. You can stand and move around, has a shower and the typical outside kitchen area. Yet has much more. The slide out of the kitchen gives the added space, but more is the outside kitchen (with BBQ) to really give the camping experience. U-shape front dinette gives not only the dinette, but a single bed or a queen with setup. Rear bunks (of which the top will be removed) allows for the second bed/workspace and additional storage over. Basic exterior shape is aerodynamic, I do like the look and should allow for better gas milage then a square front. Diamond plate lower front to take the road abuse. The R-Dome add to me is a must! The awning they offer is just to small. All it really is is a sun shade. Any wind at, and we all know that comes wth rain, and you're wet! The R-Dome is bigger, has sides that can be placed (one or both) and a entrance front to make it a tent.

Cons:

1) Wet bath.. What can I say here.. Straddling a toilet, that Don't want in there (I know you folks think I'm nuts on this) is killing' me, but makes Wifey happy happy.

2) A few more opening windows. Windows are slides vs lifts. Lifts give the entire area to flow, slides, well you have to close in a driving rain..

3) Front window. I don't know if this is really a Con or not.. I like having one, but at the same time, what kind of road abuse is it going to take?

Well, I found my almost perfect trailer.

Wish you all the best on your quest of yours and hope some of my journey helps along the way.

Here if you have questions.

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Can't believe you were thinking of boats if the price of RVs scare you. $100,000 doesn't even buy you a boat suitable for weekending never mind extended living in.

$100,000 buys a lightly used decent quality 30' plus 5er & a lightly used truck to pull it with.

Just have to look around. They are out there!
I will hold the link in my pocket for the next owner to sell his. Sorry, don't want unneeded competition. Very tight net group..
38ft Canadian built Grand Loop Trawler. Sold for $128K.
I offered $120..

They are out there!

Let no one be discouraged in their searches of value. Be diligent and you will find it!
It just takes time and patience.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can't believe you were thinking of boats if the price of RVs scare you. $100,000 doesn't even buy you a boat suitable for weekending never mind extended living in.

$100,000 buys a lightly used decent quality 30' plus 5er & a lightly used truck to pull it with.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Olddawgsrule wrote:
So here's where we're at now.

They're are some rather nice Class C's out there 2014 and newer in the 40-60K range. That falls right into the same pricing as buying a TT and a TV of comparable size.

We've pretty much decided we're not going to tow a 24-27ft TT behind a truck. Ya I know the benefits of hooking and day tripping, I get it. But from what I'm learning, I'm not seeing any real gas savings in doing so.

Teach me if you think I'm wrong here.

So that puts me into a very lightweight trailer (found one I still believe the Subaru will tow) but means being 'very' careful of weight (and probably a WD hitch).

That would at best put me at 15mpg (deintely less crossing the Rockies..). Class C's, found what I'm reading, I'm not to expect that much. In fact figure 10mpg. 12mpg or better would be nice without going diesel.

I found so far that the Ford E450 is the engine to go for in the Class C. Again, you feel I'm of base here, teach me. I'm listening to all of ya's!

What I learned in my boating days (rule of thumb) is you buy a used boat from the North (never from the South). I figure in RV's, you buy used from the Southwest.

The journey for the Perfect RV continues! an Have I learned a lot in the past couple months!!

Thanks to ya all!

E-450 figure more like 8.5 on a good day, 6 on a bad one (strong headwind).
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer
We saw the Rpod by Forest River today. I do like!

What we saw was the RP-179, so I did have to explain a bit what the differences would be to the RP 182G that we'll actually interested in.

I've read the issues folks seemed to have with it, yet I found it pretty well built.
From the cabinets to the basic trim work (much better than than the Campsite we just saw).
Outside shell was well done. Very smooth finish and sealed well. Again unlike the Camplite..
Dinette in the 179 I could actually sit at! The 182G will not have that, instead it's part of the bed area.
Frig is 3.7, smaller than I wished..
Micro is convection, which I hoped.
Sink is smaleer (bar size) than I hoped, but the unit we're after has a large outside one in the 'Garage' that we'd be used more often.
Does lack the Euro windows, has slide so only 1/2 the window opens (bedroom only 1/3rd).
Single venting fan (adjustable speed) and much quieter than the last one we saw.
Bathroom is a wetbath.. Workable... Separate shower stall would have taken too much space and eliminated the extra storage.

This one for me would come from a local dealer with a very good reputation.
Price tag of $23K, I can buy, 2018 model just under $17K.

Coming in at just over 3,oolbs, this unit just hit the top of the list for TT's.
Ordered as I would want it, 2-3months delivery and my Dealer would store at his location for free (favorite four letter word) till spring.

We don't like the awning and prefer the screen porch option (plus $400).
I would also have them add 12v power stations (which it lacked, like had none..). This would be by the dealer, cost unknown.

I'm uncertain of this torsion axle... I just don't know enough about it..

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer
Saw the Camplite 16TBS today. No it's not an Oliver!

Construction is good, not great..
Outside seams show over-flow of silicone. From roof panels to corners. Nothing was really clean.
Fan were very loud, not something I'd want running all night.
The dinette version is large enough for two children.
The couch version is much better! (Lucky to have seen both)
Suspension looks good as does the frame work underneath.
Sink is a bar sink (has enough room for something bigger) and shallow.

Wanting the Twin beds, I liked the size.
Awning is much too small for any real use outside.
Bathroom is good for the size of the unit.
Frig is 2 doored as nice.

Came with a few extras and priced $25K even.
Really think I could offer less and buy it..

Over-all: Not impressed enough to make an offer.
The aluminum add of the cabinets is a must on this brand. Their basic, just doesn't cut it.
Lack of UBS outlets hurts this unit, yet the dealer said he'd be happy to add (at what cost?)
Surprised that bedside outlets (of any kind) where not there.

Solar ready up to 20a was good to see (shame the dealer didn't know this..)

On my list, but moved down a few slots...
Construction of the interior is not so good...

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer
Today the Camplite CL16TBS went on the list.

That's 16ft interior length not over-all. Twin/King bed, slide out dinette.

This one comes in at 3400lbs dry/ 442lbs tongue and best new price I'm seeing $25K

Now, it's not an Oliver, yet at half the price it packs a pretty punch!

It's a contender!!

CL16TBS

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer
For the Travel Trailers we decided the Alto is off the list. Very nice unit, but they will not modify and $10K high for everything it is.

We looking at the Castia Independence 17ft. Setup as I want it. $22.5K.
They will modify to want I want.

Now that's 17ft over all. So a bit tight... Same as the Alto.

So that brings me to this 23ft Thor.
Take 5ft off for front bumper to back of driver seat and I have a 18ft camper (give or take).
That's still basically 5ft more ft of living space for what is $6K more (just that whole 115K miles thing..)

If anyone ever said this is easy... They lied! LOL

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer
Next in line is a 2013 Thor four winds 23U series from El Monty.
$28K (2014 $29K) is the ask and below what NADA says as best buy value.
1yr, 12K miles powertrain / 30 day appliance.
115K miles... Hmm.. (same on e the 2014)

Don't like the Queen, but hard to pass on the price!
As an entry into Class C, I like the size (and easier to store).

115K miles... Hmm..

How concerned should I be on 115K miles when they offer 1yr/12K mile powertrain?
They say Nationwide, but service center where?