cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

35gal fuel station only takes 26gal

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Fuel station on my hauler is advertised as 35gal. I always felt like it was hitting near empty on the gauge sooner than it should but wrote it off as the gauge being off. Last year I took measurements of the box did the calculation/conversions and sure enough 35gal on paper. Last trip out the tank ran empty to the point my genny died and would not pump out the nozzle. Filled it back up this week and could only get a little over 26gal in the tank. Any ideas?
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch
24 REPLIES 24

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
SAR Tracker wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:
Why would a trailer or 5th wheel style toy hauler EVER have two fuel tanks ??

Saw many of them at Glamis - regular gas for the generator, and race gas for the buggies.

OK, realized that after I posted. :S
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Could the fuel cell have foam in it?
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:

Saw many of them at Glamis - regular gas for the generator, and race gas for the buggies.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:

WHAT??? What engine is it sharing with? You know what forum your on???

Asked and answered already.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
F Last trip out the tank ran empty to the point my genny died and would not pump out the nozzle. Filled it back up this week and could only get a little over 26gal in the tank. Any ideas?

That is the way it is SUPPOSED to work when the gen shares a gas tank with the engine.

The gen is not allowed to use up all the gas.......so you won't end up stranded when the engine won't run because it's out of gas too.

The pickup of the gen is designed so that it "runs out of gas" when the tank is about 3/4 empty.

Perfectly normal.

WHAT??? What engine is it sharing with? You know what forum your on???

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:

This is a toy hauler not a motorhome,

There ARE class A and C toy haulers.
I'm only going by what I see posted here:

dedmiston wrote:
joebedford wrote:
I'm not sure why you mixed generator stalling and fuel station not pumping. My rig has two tanks. Does yours have just one?

It's one tank.

Maybe I mis-interpreted a bit.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
Idahoan wrote:
When I owned my Attitude I was told the fuel station would only pump until there was 6 gallons left in the tank, reserving that for generator only. I wonder if since your generator quit also maybe the generator fuel pickup is pulled higher into the tank and not reaching your last 6-10 gallons.

This is my thinking also, the pick-up tube for one or the other is not at the correct distance from the bottom of the tank.

Idahoan
Explorer
Explorer
When I owned my Attitude I was told the fuel station would only pump until there was 6 gallons left in the tank, reserving that for generator only. I wonder if since your generator quit also maybe the generator fuel pickup is pulled higher into the tank and not reaching your last 6-10 gallons.
2017 RAM 3500 CTD
2017 Sandstorm 286GSLR
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 450
2017 YZ250FX
2011 KTM 250XC
2013 Kawasaki KLX140

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
ECI Fuel Systems
3281 Grapevine St.
Mira Loma, Ca
(877) 685-8602
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

Y-Guy
N-Trouble wrote:
I'm at a bit of a loss...

If Eclipse RV can't help you might contact the tank manufacturer to see if it's by design, but I doubt that it would be.
ECI Fuel Systems

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Y-Guy
Sam Spade wrote:
That is the way it is SUPPOSED to work when the gen shares a gas tank with the engine.

This is a toy hauler not a motorhome, it has a fuel station and generator, unless they plumbed it wrong it should be able to draw from the entire tank. Since Eclipse RV doesn't make motorhomes I don't think that is the case.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Fuel fill is located on the top. I previously said it was a 35gal fuel station but its actually 36gal and what I had calculated out to be based on dimensions. So I am missing about 10gal worth of fuel. Unless there is a 26gal tank inside of the 36gal tank (doubt it) I'm at a bit of a loss...

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Perhaps the extra space is for air and fuel expansion. Generally you do not want fuel tanks completely filled.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
F Last trip out the tank ran empty to the point my genny died and would not pump out the nozzle. Filled it back up this week and could only get a little over 26gal in the tank. Any ideas?

The gen is not allowed to use up all the gas.......so you won't end up stranded when the engine won't run because it's out of gas too.

The pickup of the gen is designed so that it "runs out of gas" when the tank is about 3/4 empty.

Perfectly normal.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611