cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replace old TV antenna

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
Hi - Our 1996 camper has the typical old batwing type antenna that raises up with a crank from the inside. I recently hooked up a new digital tv to it and could only get about 1 channel. I thought I should get at least 15 because that's about how many I could get in the house with just using rabbit ear type antenna. I figure either the antenna is COMPLETELY wrong for the new digital tvs, or I have a bad connection some place in the cable from the antenna to the inside coax connector. Any ideas on how to determine which, and any recommendations on inexpensive type replacement for it would be appreciated.
Gary in Michigan
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab 5.3 Liter V8
1996 Coachmen Catalina RB210 21' Fifth Wheel
495 Watts Solar, 40 AMP Renogy Tracer MPPT Controller,2 GC2 6V Batts.
23 REPLIES 23

MrWizard
edit..
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Lube it good from up top with some silicone
Now that you broke it free, it will probably work
Where did you put the spring when you installed the new crank handle
When reassembling the wheel goes first then the spring then the crank handle
Also advisable to crank it all the way up, before trying to turn it
If only part way up, you have the weight of the antenna using the lifting arms as pry bars putting strain against the shaft it should be turning on
Acts like a brake

I haven't actually installed the new crank handle, just looked on Amazon for the price. Now after further reading seems like I need the crank handle AND the directional handle (ring)?
Gary in Michigan

MrWizard
Lube it good from up top with some silicone
Now that you broke it free, it will probably work
Where did you put the spring when you installed the new crank handle
When reassembling the wheel goes first then the spring then the crank handle
Also advisable to crank it all the way up, before trying to turn it
If only part way up, you have the weight of the antenna using the lifting arms as pry bars putting strain against the shaft it should be turning on
Acts like a brake
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. After posting the question I had some other issues that came up am only just now catching up here on RV.net. Turns out I DO have the old style plate with the little power switch which I never even noticed. I ran setup after turning on that switch and indeed I did get channels, 34, though many did not come in well. I raised the antenna with the crank, and the handle broke off. No big deal, $6 on Amazon, but I couldn't seem to turn the antenna from the inside. It's obvious you pull down the ring around the handle and then turn it, but it wouldn't turn. I got out the ladder and was able to turn iit up top. Can't see any reason why it wouldn't turn from the inside once it was raised beyond the guard. Any ideas?
Gary in Michigan

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Winegard made batwing style antennas without an amplifier and the OP could not find a switch. If he does have a non-amplified antenna, we are only confusing him with many of the posts.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
First off, your Batwing is better than any set of rabbit ears. A 1996 antenna isn't all that old.

So start at the beginning, after connecting the antenna coax to the TV, turn on the power switch for the board in the Batwing head, raise and aim the antenna toward the towers, antenna is now ready for the TV. If you do not have a power switch panel, I'd suggest buying a new head and panel.

Turn on the TV and run setup, make sure that you have the INPUT set for antenna, now you will need to run a search for the available stations.

Many new TVs have SSM's(Signal Strength Meter) built in, if yours does, use that to obtain the strongest signal. If not, you just have to turn the antenna to the best direction you can find.

When the channel search is done you should have several stations. If the channel search does not turn up any channels, start with the trouble shooting ideas all ready offered. I would start with a long cable and connect it directly to the antenna and the TV bypassing the OEM wiring in your trailer.

If you truly do not have a panel with a power switch panel for the antenna, I would consider up grading to a new antenna system. If you do have the power up switch and the jump around the trailer coax doesn't help, I'd guess you do need a new head.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
In addition to the Sensar Pro shown above there are two other things (or 3) I would check, Some of this is from experience.

The Wingman add on for the Batwing turns it into the BEST TV antenna marketed for RVs bar none. About 30-40 dollars and you can install it yourself, a pair of pliers is optional as the only tool needed.

THe Sensar Pro (ALready described by others)

The coax Roof to antenna. #1 problem on "old" RV's is this coax,. it is exposed to sun and weather and it goes bad... NOTE: there is a connector either at the roof. or in the roof.

From Experience.... that connector.'

Blown fuses.

FInally a comment.

THe batwing is directional (Basic batwing is a figure 8 pattern) Fairly narrow beam.. IF you are "Surrounded by TV stations" Rabbit ears (Omni-directional, means they receive from any angle) work better.

There are additional possible issues like bad wires and switrches but in independent lab tests the Batwing beat all competition .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:
They both receive Digital signals just fine if I remember to turn on the amplifier.

The Winegard wall plate illustrated above is NOT an amplifier, is not a booster as so many seem to claim, has no ability to amplify the signal coming from the antenna head. :R Pushing the front panel switch merely routes 12 vdc to the head where the amplifier in a Sensar III / Sensar IV is located. When this switch is turned off it disconnects this power from the head and routes the cable feed to the unit instead of the antenna feed. If you want a wall plate that actually does amplify the antenna head feed then you want a Winegard SensarPro which offers +/- 10 db signal gain / attenuation.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
The FCC isn't reclaiming anything in VHF because nobody wants it except TV, and we're repopulating it all over the country again. VHF is useless for cellular technologies for a number of reasons. As far as frequency selective antennas, the "older" Batwings do have a single UHF element internally, but the Wingman addition or new Sensor antennas make a serious difference in UHF performance. They are not miracle workers but a properly functioning Batwing will outperform any other RV antenna
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
WNYBob wrote:
The older bat wing antennas are usually VHF tuned, and most digital stations are UHF.

I am not sure abut the first half of your statement, but the second half is correct. While the old VHF frequencies can be used for the now standard digital ATSC, most station are now broadcasting on channel is the UHF band (14-50).

The channel number you see on your TV screen has no longer reflects the actual frequency the signal is broadcast on.

There has been discussion about the FCC "reclaiming" all VHF frequencies for other uses.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
MY rigs are both 1990 both a Class A and a fiver. They both receive Digital signals just fine if I remember to turn on the amplifier.

Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
WNYBob wrote:
The older bat wing antennas are usually VHF tuned, and most digital stations are UHF. So a new Winegard Sensar IV will help a lot, as mentioned above.

Does this mean they are cut to a length such that they will not receive UHF? :h

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
There is no special antenna needed for digital signals so your antenna should work. As others have said check the amplifier. Also check and if needed replace the coax on the roof. It can become weathered, cracked etc.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler