cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Got home from Hospital today

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Finally had the right total knee replacement done on Monday July 31, and now home on Wednesday. Basically, my doctor said I have no restrictions, except to use my head and logically, what I cannot do, well ... don't!

I can stand full weight on the leg, walk (with a walker for balance which they highly recommend for a few more days, but no problem if I want to tool around without it ... like in the house where I can kind of hold on to things for a steadier balance).

Therapy is extremely painful, but the affects of the actual surgery is 100% pain free. I have absolutely NO pain killers, not even Tylenol! The procedure they did blocked all the nerves in my knee by freezing them. (literally, it was pretty cool). So the knee is completely numb, even after 3 days.

But where the numbness stops is where is pain in therapy begins! And OMG! Some of those stretching exercises after a n hour or two of immobility feels like a rubberband stretch to the max right before it breaks! And everyone has assured me, the muscles will not tear!

Everyone says, by week 3, things will be back to normal. I certainly hope so. The knee and entire leg is swollen about twice it's normal size. That's what's really causing the stretching exercises to be so challenging at the moment.

I'm following Dr.s orders. I have all kinds of hospital follow up visits, rehab, Dr. Visits, blood tests coming up, and monitoring everything, watching progress, and keeping me on track.

Before leaving the hospital, I told my therapist I had a Travel Trailer and THE absolute most important thing I need to do was to be able to get up those steps! She worked with me, got a good system going how to do it (up and down), and the first thing I did when I got home was wobble over to the camper in the drive way, open the door, get up the steps, stepped inside, and said, "Hello good friend. I'm back."

We're planning on sleeping in the camper tonight, set up my Cryo/Cuff (Ice machine around my knee for swelling), and I'm off work for the next 11 weeks!

So, so far, everything has one well. The modern techniques for these surgeries is amazing! And I still have not had to use a single pain killer yet.

Just wanted to give everyone a report!
20 REPLIES 20

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had TKR on left knee on November 3, 2011. Realized about two days out I was in less pain that before the surgery. Made rehab my fulltime job. Dismissed from rehab and dismissed from doctor at 7 weeks. I was hiking the Superstition Mountains/Wilderness at ten weeks. No pain then or since. Before surgery I was twisting my body in strange directions compensating for the bum knee causing my back, hips and other knee to hurt. Those problems mostly disappeared within a few months. Good Luck!
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

FF286
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone tried a therapy method called dry needling? I did not have TKR yet but had part of the meniscus cut out and arthritis cleaned up. My hamstring is painfully tight, only 3 weeks out but so far it wonโ€™t relax. My therapist mentioned this saying it might help, but would have to wait a little longer before it can be done. Did anyone try it and did it help. Sounds a lot like acupuncture.

sask66
Explorer
Explorer
Age 69. Had a total left knee 3 weeks ago. Been walking without aids for a week or so. I agree with some, pain not bad but muscles feel like tight rubber bands. Been doing the therapy religiously and hope to regain good flexion. It is nice to walk and not feel the bone on bone pain I had before surgery. Also got rid of the pain meds after a week. Rather have some pain than deal with OXY.

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Just want to chime in and say Thanks to all of you for sharing. My knees are genetically bad. The pain is enough now to wake me up at night. 800mg of Motrin and I've got a 50/50 chance of making it thru the night.

I need to do this surgery.
Reading the positive stories from you all, helps!

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
Dutchman, I just had my left TKR April 30. It went surprisingly well, largely because I did the PT, iced, and elevated. I was off narcotics post-op day 6, primarily because the narcotic was making me so sick I could hardly move. I really PUUUUSHED myself in PT. I was determined to get 100% flexion and extension, and I did.

I used that cryo machine religiously, too--that thing is AMAZING! In fact, my mother became very ill 3 weeks after the surgery and I had to go take care of her. I mailed my ice machine to Mobile and flew down there. I was off the walker, but still using a cane for stability. I used the cryo machine about every 2 hours, while taking care of my mother in her last days.

It's been 3 months and I'm SOOOO glad I did this. I have NO PAIN in the knee joint. The ligaments on either side of the knee still like to shorten up, so I have to stretch them out from time to time. I get some swelling sometimes, especially if I'm on my feet for a long time. About the only thing I really can't do is kneel; it's just really painful to bear all my weight right on the front of my tibia. So, I don't kneel. But it's totally worth it not to have pain all day and all night.
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your encouragement. I SURE do appreciate that.

Today is day 4 after surgery. We did indeed sleep in the camper last night. It felt so good to be in there. I know, we have that fabulous house, but that camper is truly our world!

I had a hospital follow up this morning for blood thinner med checks. I wanted to be somewhat mobile and it just takes a little time to get all the stiffness worked out. But this morning, .... well ... there's only one way to describe my experience getting out of bed, getting where I could stand and walk, and actually move again .....

To actually "get going" this morning, made me feel like a 1955 Plymouth Sedan left in the snow for a month and getting a jump start just to start running! Yup, it took a lot of "cranking" AMPS and extra battery power to get the engine turned over today! Once she got warmed up though, she took off a purring! (I can identify with this era of cars, I was born in 1955!)

Thanks everyone!

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Having had this done a number of year's ago now(right knee also) and wishing I had had it done several year's before that, I'm curious as to others experience in the recovery room right after surgery? It sounds as though, because of the freezing, you had very little pain....I, on the other hand, NEVER want to go through that process again(if possible). In other words, it was VERY painful upon waking up in recovery.

BUT all is well now and my Physical Therapy went well too....very happy! Glad your's went well and your on the mend!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
PT = Pain/Torture

Physical therapists are not the world's kindest people and IME they get really fed up with whiners, fast. But they can't baby people and get their job done!

After having my hand rebuilt at the VA in Miami, I useed to call my therapist
The Princess of pain.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
PT = Pain/Torture

Physical therapists are not the world's kindest people and IME they get really fed up with whiners, fast. But they can't baby people and get their job done!
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

mikim
Explorer
Explorer
My wife is a Physical Therapy. She got her revenge on me the day after surgery for a torn ACL. Ever since then I call the profession Physical Torture. Ice is your friend and I am very grateful to still be skiing.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, take your PT seriously and you will do great. Don't do it well, and you will be a cripple.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
I'm six years post tkr. I did all the pt and then continued being active. It feels like my own. I'm not even aware of it anymore. The pt was more than half the equation in my estimation. BTW/We used the TT a lot during my recoup period! Good luck and good recovery!
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I wish you a speedy recovery!

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds exactly how my wife described it, the therapy is worse than the surgery. She is now able to do everything when out camping. It takes a little time, but you should do just fine. God Bless and Keep you.