cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Firewood Ontario

esfd243
Explorer
Explorer
So I will be leaving Sandusky OH and heading north into Ontario and I know I cant bring in firewood but can I bring in 2x4 scrap wood? Like pieces of hardwood or pine that is dimensional and retail bought?
Mike, Dawn & Mallori
2016 Hemisphere 368RLBH
2012 Chevy 2500 HD D/A 3.73
18 REPLIES 18

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
VE3ESN wrote:
Sounds like some of you resemble Denny Crane in Boston Legal - remember that TV show where Denny is played by William Shatner?

"Denny Crane: You're one of those environmental lawyers?

Peter Barrett: Is there something wrong with that?

Denny Crane: They're evildoers. Yesterday it's a tree, today it's a salmon, tomorrow it's, "Let's not dig up Alaska for oil because it's too pretty." Let me tell you something, I came out here to enjoy nature, don't talk to me about the environment."

Seriously, why carry all that extra weight hauling wood of questionable usefulness? Something I fail to understand.

The more weight I can cram on the truck the better it rides ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I and others have had no trouble taking "dimensional lumber" across the US/Canada border. Both directions.

A lot of the campground lumber is very wet. Getting a fire going with some chopped 2x6 cuts way down on the smoke.

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like some of you resemble Denny Crane in Boston Legal - remember that TV show where Denny is played by William Shatner?

"Denny Crane: You're one of those environmental lawyers?

Peter Barrett: Is there something wrong with that?

Denny Crane: They're evildoers. Yesterday it's a tree, today it's a salmon, tomorrow it's, "Let's not dig up Alaska for oil because it's too pretty." Let me tell you something, I came out here to enjoy nature, don't talk to me about the environment."

Seriously, why carry all that extra weight hauling wood of questionable usefulness? Something I fail to understand.
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
On the other hand most species of living items have started somewhere and got to the America's over time.

For example, the honey bee:

No Apis species existed in the New World during human times before the introduction of A. mellifera by Europeans.....

Species of Apis are generalist floral visitors, and pollinate a large variety of plants, but by no means all plants. Of all the honey bee species, only A. mellifera has been used extensively for commercial pollination of crops and other plants. The value of these pollination services is commonly measured in the billions of dollars. Bees collect 66 lb of pollen per year per hive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_bee

So, while there are species who do great harm to an ecology when they arrive as invaders, not all are that way. The honey bee arrived from Europe. What would we do without them now.

Or several species of raptors, ie, the predatory birds who clean up dead animal remains. DDT just about wiped them out. & you know very well that humans couldn't begin to pick up after life is gone from many critters, plants, etc. How wonderful that there are eagles, falcons, ospreys all over the world.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough to really say what good insects accomplish. No doubt they do some good for our various ecologies. The world doesn't come to an end because insects enter firewood.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ralph Cramden wrote:
So in Canadas Provincial parks the rangers or other management has the time to record how many bundles of overpriced wood you buy?

Then they have some way of determining how much you burnt per night and if you exceed the quota the wood police show up?

PA DCNR Resource news, 8-9-17

If you click one of the links in the news letter you are taken to an internet newsletter by an internet gardener named George Weigle. He says that the EAB moves East and South by "Moving Firewood and Flight". I'd bet more on the flight aspect LOL.

First of all, there's no need for sarcasm, but like any modern business our park system uses computers. When you purchase firewood they ask for your site number and it goes on your bill so you get a receipt for it as required by law since there is sales tax on the purchase.

Our park rangers are there to enforce the rules, all of them, generator hours, alcohol, excessive noise or lights, and yes, firewood, including scavenging for wood in the forest. It's an easy thing for the ranger to see that you bought zero firewood but you're having a fire.

As for the 'firewood or flight' comment, yes, they can fly, generally a few hundred feet, sometimes a mile or two.

How often do you think people pack firewood and go camping a mile or two from home?

All you have to do is look at the environmental disasters that have happened in this area because of humans inadvertently moving critters, Asian Carp have nearly laid waste to the entire Mississippi River system and the Government is now looking at spending tens of millions to try to stop them from getting into Great Lakes at Chicago. Zebra Mussels have cost countless governments, industries and individuals when they got introduced by ships releasing ballast water. Round Goby are the same as Asian Carp, out eating native species, except they're already in the Great Lakes.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
It's kiln dried lumber. So called certified firewood bearing the USDA/APHIS stamp that supposedly can be moved anywhere in the US, is "kiln dried".

The key in that is two words, 'lumber' and 'stamped'.

Once it's little short pieces you're not going to convince a beaurocrat that's something you're going to use for construction. Now you can *try* to convince them that you brought a face cord of scraps for levelling your rig. Good luck.

Then they say 'ok, it's kiln dried, shows the stamp on each piece.'........... Ooops.

Then they say 'It's firewood and under our regulations it's prohibited to transport it in a regulated area, so we'll have to seize it.'

Just find a local vendor near the park you want to stay in and buy some firewood.

Be aware though, most Provincial and Federal parks prohibit ANY outside firewood, and they know the drill, you're not the first one to find a better way. Most sell their firewood in specially labelled bags, and record which site bought how much firewood, if the park ranger catches you burning bootlegged wood you'll face a fine and likely be ousted too.

The folks at the site next to us at Lake Superior Agawa Bay park last year got tossed, with no refund, for exactly that.

Since my previous post evaporated I assume I was the one not being civil.

So in Canadas Provincial parks the rangers or other management has the time to record how many bundles of overpriced wood you buy? Then they have some way of determining how much you burnt per night and if you exceed the quota the wood police show up?

If I bought 5 bundles you can bet I'll turn that to ashes in about 3 hours max, as opposed to a guy and his wife I met at the campground a few years back who invite us over to their site often. He builds fires about as big as a single match. That 5 bundles of wood would last him 5 nights at least.

Further proof that government intervention and quarantines or restrictions on moving firewood by campers do not make a difference when it comes to invasive insects.

PA DCNR Resource news, 8-9-17

If you click one of the links in the news letter you are taken to an internet newsletter by an internet gardener named George Weigle. He says that the EAB moves East and South by "Moving Firewood and Flight". I'd bet more on the flight aspect LOL.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
My cousin from Indiana had two boxes of scrap framing lumber taken away 2 years ago on his way to Ontario. He had no problems before that but I don't think he has tried since.
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Please keeps posts on topic and civil.

... Moderator

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ralph Cramden wrote:
It's kiln dried lumber. So called certified firewood bearing the USDA/APHIS stamp that supposedly can be moved anywhere in the US, is "kiln dried".

The key in that is two words, 'lumber' and 'stamped'.

Once it's little short pieces you're not going to convince a beaurocrat that's something you're going to use for construction. Now you can *try* to convince them that you brought a face cord of scraps for levelling your rig. Good luck.

Then they say 'ok, it's kiln dried, shows the stamp on each piece.'........... Ooops.

Then they say 'It's firewood and under our regulations it's prohibited to transport it in a regulated area, so we'll have to seize it.'

Just find a local vendor near the park you want to stay in and buy some firewood.

Be aware though, most Provincial and Federal parks prohibit ANY outside firewood, and they know the drill, you're not the first one to find a better way. Most sell their firewood in specially labelled bags, and record which site bought how much firewood, if the park ranger catches you burning bootlegged wood you'll face a fine and likely be ousted too.

The folks at the site next to us at Lake Superior Agawa Bay park last year got tossed, with no refund, for exactly that.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
There are private campgrounds here in PA that require you to buy the firewood they purchase and bundle themselves, then overprice, under the guise of invasive insect regulations and quarantines. Some buy their wood at the same sawmill I buy mine from. I can't bring mine but we will sell you ours from the same vendor at double the price. This sawmill cuts timber in 4 other states and brings it back to PA to the mill, the smaller timber gets cut and split into firewood. I can not legally cross state lines with hardwood firewood, they can because they have a piece of paper. Craigslist is full of firewood vendors who ignore any regulations which are not enforced in any way. The only place I have seen any regulation enforced is at privately owned campgrounds.

The Emerald Ash Borer invaded PA in 2007 resulting in a rolling quarantine by county. By 2015 it was detected in almost every county in the state. I highly doubt campers and their firewood had much to do with it. No way are the bureaucrats going to go after the real movers, the forest product industry. Simply too much money involved.

PA tells you "Don't move firewood" but does not enforce bringing your own into a PA state park. That whole "dontmovefirewood.org" farce is people who figured out a way to make a living doing essentially nothing, at others expense......lobbyists for the enviroweenies.

exactly my point
have we ever EVER stopped mother nature?
We can slow the spread down ,but once across the ocean its over and a waste of money to try.
Newmar 34rsks 2008

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Little Kopit wrote:
Has this wood been any place where insects could attach themselves to it?

But as Gordon says, check with CBSA.

& I'm sure you know CBSA is stretched further than the limit of present staffing levels can go -- given that there are so many seeking to move from the USA to Canada.

I think you might also check Ontario provincial regulations too. ON has limits on camping on crown land and it is a big province. It would not surprise me if there are provincial limits on how far you can travel and use wood.

:C

Once it's kiln dried there is nothing left that interests any pest.

Not sure how Canada handles it but they have bureaucrats too lol.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are private campgrounds here in PA that require you to buy the firewood they purchase and bundle themselves, then overprice, under the guise of invasive insect regulations and quarantines. Some buy their wood at the same sawmill I buy mine from. I can't bring mine but we will sell you ours from the same vendor at double the price. This sawmill cuts timber in 4 other states and brings it back to PA to the mill, the smaller timber gets cut and split into firewood. I can not legally cross state lines with hardwood firewood, they can because they have a piece of paper. Craigslist is full of firewood vendors who ignore any regulations which are not enforced in any way. The only place I have seen any regulation enforced is at privately owned campgrounds.

The Emerald Ash Borer invaded PA in 2007 resulting in a rolling quarantine by county. By 2015 it was detected in almost every county in the state. I highly doubt campers and their firewood had much to do with it. No way are the bureaucrats going to go after the real movers, the forest product industry. Simply too much money involved.

PA tells you "Don't move firewood" but does not enforce bringing your own into a PA state park. That whole "dontmovefirewood.org" farce is people who figured out a way to make a living doing essentially nothing, at others expense......lobbyists for the enviroweenies.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
the st lawrence seaway is the watershed moment ,pallets yes , zebra mussels ...... etc.
since it opened countless species have made new homes here and we have not stopped a single one.
the wood ban is now useless as they have got the limit of their(temperature) range,It is a waste of resources to pursue a lost cause ,better to save the money and wait and be ready for the next .
Newmar 34rsks 2008

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the worst invasive insects have come in with wooden pallets.