cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which Brand Light Weight TT to buy?

elsique
Explorer
Explorer
So now we are looking to upgrade to a new TT and I see many complaints about almost every brand. So how do I know which is the best brand to consider? (has to be 1/2 ton towable)
Having experience with two different TT's (Coachman and Rockwood), I know they are all going to have some problems (especially with slides and leaks).
I am seeing all kinds of negatives with companies not standing behind warranty and articles/comments that some brands are just junk.

We are looking at Keystone Bullet or Outback, Forest River Wildwood and maybe a Jayco White Hawk. Even saw an Innsbruk of interest.

What advice do you have to help me do my research before we make a purchase?
Elise ๐Ÿ™‚
2010 Chevy Silverado 6.2 V8
2018 2804RK Open Range
42 REPLIES 42

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
elsique wrote:
We decided to hold for a bit on upgrade because we have not found the right fit for us yet but I do love this 2017 Rockwood 2906:
https://www.chesacorv.com/2017-forest-river-rockwood-2906ws-new-travel-trailer-md-i2141420

Interesting on the stats as the GVWR is listed as 8608 on dealer site, which outwardly looks like our truck could handle it but the rest of stats from the Rockwood brochure show dry weight of 7183 and hitch of 808. We have not gone to see it yet but for this one, we would have to consider upgrading our truck to a 3/4 ton because of the dry weight and we would max with 808 hitch wt.
All that said, does it seem off to have a TT where the dry weight and the GVWR is only a difference of 1400 LBS? While we typically travel light, it just seems like the manufacturer has not built this model for the buyer to load much stuff in the TT. Other similar weight models typically have GVWR of more like 9400 lbs. Point here is before we consider upgrading our 1/2 ton truck (just paid off) to buy this specific TT, would others be concerned that the GVWR of 8608 is low for a TT with a dry weight of 7200 lbs? Just doesn't sound quite right so wanted to see if anyone has any feedback.

I haul our 2906WS back and forth to the dealer (over an hour away) without a problem in my 2015 F-150 Ecoboost with 12.5k towing package. But I'd rather not use it for going up and down mountains, so we use a 2014 F-350 diesel, which hauls the trailer as though it's not even back there.

I posted a long review at Rockwood 2906WS

Ultimately, we decided we're not trailer people, so we'll be selling it. Very nice trailer, though.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Nash and Arctic Fox are hard to beat. I had a Nash 22 but it was heavy so I sold it. Now I miss it a lot. They have gone to aluminum frame and fiberglass and lightened them up somewhat.

Nash are still wood framed.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nash and Arctic Fox are hard to beat. I had a Nash 22 but it was heavy so I sold it. Now I miss it a lot. They have gone to aluminum frame and fiberglass and lightened them up somewhat.

RamRider
Explorer
Explorer
I agree on the Bullit Ultralite - we had a 2013 and pulled it over 12000 miles per year with no problems. We had one with a rear bath which was ideal for our use, The only reason we sold it was the DW wanted an Airstream - which of course would be another good choice if you you can find a late model used one.
2014 Airstream 25FB
2016 Ram
Blue Ox Sway Pro
ARE Topper

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
elsique wrote:
temccarthy1 wrote:
My vote if you want a quality Ultralight is Bullet! I have owned one since 2014 and it has not had a single malfunction of ANY component or appliance! I have also never seen a bad review on this site or Keystone owner sites! I know Keystone makes many brand names but Bullet seems to have better quality control. Check them out!

We looked very hard at the Bullet 29RKPR as the rear kitchen model with sofa and chairs is exactly what we want in our "perfect" layout. Weights fit well within the max for our current TV. They have a 2017 new model with a very nice price on the lot right now.
Issues - as we did a walk around, the hatch seal on the outside kitchen had already fallen half way off. Sure, that's an easy fix but it did not give us a good first impression for quality.
2nd, my DH felt the axel/suspension looked very weak and as it sits, the wheels on this specific unit seemed almost out of alignment with the wheel wells on the body. These together were a turn off for DH.
For me, being a larger person, the shower was just too small as I always use my own shower when we camp. If the shower had been a little larger, I may have pushed for this one.

You are smart to try to find a new "leftover" 2017 right now-- you will save 1000's over a 2018! That's what we did in Nov 2014 on a leftover 2014. The axles and springs on Bullets are fine . I have never seen a negative review on them and ours is great! Bullets feature spread axles which give you a smoother ride and better weight distribution! We have a 285 RLS which is a rear living design, 30 ft long. Bullet makes many models, some have small bathrooms, some have much bigger pass through ones that have large tub/showers. Ours is a small bathroom which when we were looking concerned me, but my DW reminded me we spend the least time there of any room in the TT which is true and the living area was much more important!. Our shower is a corner shower but is plenty big and I am 6 ft tall. because of your TV weight limits, Bullets are a good choice for you to still give you the space without too much weight. Go on line, check all their floor plans ad then try to find the one you like! Good luck Happy hunting!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

elsique
Explorer
Explorer
We will buy from either Chesaco or Leo's. We bought our last TT from Chesaco but Leo's has the open range 2804RK coming in January, which we are anxious to see.
Elise ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 2804RK Open Range

6door74
Explorer
Explorer
I went to chesaco RV (joppa) last month too. I want to buy from a local dealer with a good reputation. I talked briefly to a salesperson and she seemed nice enough. However, we don't plan to buy for some months so i didn't want to take up her time and prevent her from selling to other customers there. I left with some jayco brochures but all in all, nothing that was there at the time really sold me. I'm looking forward to going to the RV show in VA next month and PA in February, to get a look at many different brands/floor plans. I still won't be buying that soon but I can at least see what's out there in 1 place at the same time.

http://www.washingtonrvexpo.com/
2006 E350 V10
Travel Trailer-TBD

elsique
Explorer
Explorer
My perfect TT is the Rockwood 2906WS. The hitch weight is the limiting factor. Since we decided we do not want to risk forcing ourselves into a new 5 yr loan for a bigger truck, I have to walk away from this one:( Open Range may be our best next option
Elise ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 2804RK Open Range

elsique
Explorer
Explorer
temccarthy1 wrote:
My vote if you want a quality Ultralight is Bullet! I have owned one since 2014 and it has not had a single malfunction of ANY component or appliance! I have also never seen a bad review on this site or Keystone owner sites! I know Keystone makes many brand names but Bullet seems to have better quality control. Check them out!

We looked very hard at the Bullet 29RKPR as the rear kitchen model with sofa and chairs is exactly what we want in our "perfect" layout. Weights fit well within the max for our current TV. They have a 2017 new model with a very nice price on the lot right now.
Issues - as we did a walk around, the hatch seal on the outside kitchen had already fallen half way off. Sure, that's an easy fix but it did not give us a good first impression for quality.
2nd, my DH felt the axel/suspension looked very weak and as it sits, the wheels on this specific unit seemed almost out of alignment with the wheel wells on the body. These together were a turn off for DH.
For me, being a larger person, the shower was just too small as I always use my own shower when we camp. If the shower had been a little larger, I may have pushed for this one.
Elise ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 2804RK Open Range

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Know that being an "ultralite" means it's built using the thinnest, lightest, least substantial and cheapest materials & components from the frame up and usually with workmanship to match. We once had an ultralite TT replaced under warranty due to problems. Choose wisely and may the good lord be with you...

If you were out west, I'd say consider OutdoorsRV products for decent quality.

Oh, and dealer "quality" can also be a factor. A poor one (and there are plenty) can turn an otherwise great RV into a nightmare. BTDT too. Check BBB and research the internet.

Copperhead
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Design is interesting. Nothing in the line that draws me. For my use, more of off the road boon docking (no, not Walmart) and all season, the Imagine line of GD is the only size that would be what I would want. But the floorpans are not to my liking and only R7 in the walls doesn't cut it. Seems kind of goofy considering their claim of R40 in roof and R30 in floor. Wind does blow sideways in many locations. And no double pane thermal windows? Come on.

The 2150RB was the only one in the line that came close to what I was looking for, but there are many design features that are lacking compared to, say, a Lance 1985 or 2285.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Don't shop by BRAND.

Shop for what fits your NEEDS for the price you are willing to pay.

Brand means very little in the RV industry. Very little.

I'm a Grand Design owner, said to be one of the better brands of the last 3-4 years, and I'm here to tell you they are no better and getting worse with high volume demand.

That said, GD's customer service is possibly the best I've encountered, which does help when problems occur. And they will.

Copperhead
Explorer
Explorer
elsique wrote:
I hear a lot of good about Lance but our local dealers do not sell them and we prefer to buy local (which is a limiting factor for us)

Yeah, I understand that one. My preference was OutdoorsRV, but like you, I wanted a business relationship with a dealer within a reasonable distance of me. And I have a dealer that has locations about 50 miles either side of my house. And they have Lance products.

Frank, while it is marketed that Lance trailers can be pulled by smaller than 1/2T pickups, that is purely dependent on model and more marketing fluff than reality. Of course, it depends on what you are doing with the TT and where you are going. And if you are loading it and the TV down with more than a few meals of Mountain House freeze dried food. It doesn't put a lot on a decent SUV to pull a trailer down an interstate and into an out of level RV parks. But it is not the wisest thing to take a trailer off the beaten trail and into remote dispersed camping situations with that same SUV, especially the larger Lance versions. Not that I need to, as it is what I need for other uses, but I use a 3/4 ton Chevy.

elsique
Explorer
Explorer
I hear a lot of good about Lance but our local dealers do not sell them and we prefer to buy local (which is a limiting factor for us)
Elise ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 2804RK Open Range