cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help needed for Roof not raising all the way.

cahillprc2
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 Somerset E3 pup that frankly has had problems from day one with the electric lift not working proper. At first it wouldn't lift at all with the 12V battery (went back to dealer 3X, each time a new battery was installed and seemed to work fine; but when we got ready to go it failed again). After the warranty was up, they ran all new wiring directly to the lift motor(for which they charged me) and it seemed to do fine for a few campouts. NOW it won't lift all the way up; stops about 6 inches from fully extended. Anyone have any ideas on what problem might be (other than it being a Somerset LOL)
12 REPLIES 12

cahillprc2
Explorer
Explorer
I measured the 4 corners and none of them where the same. So instead of trying to adjust all the cables myself, I took it back to the dealer (turns out we have an extended warranty on the whole camper; glad we bought that). They replaced a pulley wheel that was binding in one of the arms and adjusted the rest of the cables and now it goes all the way up ??yaaay! I also just discovered that the level we attached to the side was off a bit, about 2" at the tongue so that may also have contributed to both the roof issue and the door being very hard to attach to the roof at the top. Hope this helps someone else.

GNO22
Explorer
Explorer
Brave,

It worked fine 2 out of 2 times on battery, so I figured the charge was good. While camping, I forgot the key to the battery so i just plugged in and the lift worked, but not quite all the way.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
I know fleetwood/Coleman campers had a poorly designed lift system that would often never put the roof up all the way when it was falling a part. If it's that same lift system, sounds like a repair is in order.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

1995brave
Explorer II
Explorer II
GNO22,
Have you checked your battery, shore power may not be enough to raise the top, you also need a good charged up battery. Do you have a hand crank for emergencies? Try cranking the rest of the way by hand, if that works I would say you have a weak battery.

GNO22
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,
Im brand new to PUP life and the site. This thread caught my eye as the last time I went camping (my first time actually using it), I had the same issue. I bought a 2013 Flagsaff MAC used, though it was supposedly used only 4 times. It still smalls new and everything is in great shape, so I don't doubt the # times used. During the initial setup/tear down test, it lifted fine (on battery). I got home and tested again (on battery) and was fine. Used it at the camp ground plugged into 30amp power source, and it came up short. Looking under it, the cable is greased (though I will do it again) but doesn't look flat anywhere. What are other starting points for trouble shooting?
Are there start/stop points that need to be set like a garage door that may need recalibrating?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated and apologies in advance for the novel.

GNO

1995brave
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another question. Have you been greasing or oiling your lift system as required by the manufacturer? If it hasn't been done, the extra effort to move the cable past binding pulleys and shafts is causing the motor to stall. Lift systems have come a long way since 1995 hand crank systems.

1995brave
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have an A/C on the roof? Look at your lift cable where it goes into the winch, is it all flattened out? If it is the cable is stretched some. My first pop up at year 5 the cable was flattened out and the last inch I had to push up by hand to get the lock bars into place. We used ours around 7 times a year.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what lift system they use, but the most reliable seems to be the Goshen Lift system. Is that what it is?
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

cahillprc2
Explorer
Explorer
I may have not made it clear but the electric problem was solved by the rewiring. However now the roof won't lift all the way up; its about 6 inches too low. 1995Brave is it really possible that the cables would have stretched that much in just 4 years of limited use? We've only put the roof up and down about a dozen times total(sadly for a variety of reasons we haven't used it as much as we would have liked).

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Thought Somerset went out of business right away. Never seen any dealers, anywhere.

You could have a shunt (drain to ground) in the circuit. Not enough current to blow a fuse but enough to drain the battery.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like your battery is not being adequately charged.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

1995brave
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is your battery charged? Could also be stretched lift cables.