cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EPDM roof 14 years old and wore out, now what ?!

Happy_Camper3
Explorer
Explorer
my EPDM roof is 14 years old. has LOTS of black showing .. most cracks are eternabonded and sealed with decor lap sealant..

but what about the entire roof being almost black ?

what are my choices ?

any reason I can't Eternabond my ENTIRE roof ? has anyone ever tried it ?

I CANNOT remove the ac, all vents, then clean and scrape, then primer, and then coat a new coat of rubber foot ... not myself ..
17 REPLIES 17

jzaldivar
Explorer
Explorer
coated mine yesterday with Tropicool!

3 coats. Hopefully it holds up!

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Just because it has black showing doesn't mean it is wore out.

It comes in two colors for the commercial building market.
Black is the standard, or original color. White is the optional color that came about to reflect sunlight for better energy conservation.
It is just a coating on the black product. I read about this years ago when I researched it. Dicor is the RV industry supplier. Carlise makes it for Dicor. So other than looks, a black roof means nothing. Of course looks is important for many people.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

LeoandLil
Explorer
Explorer
Wait...14 years...20 years??? I would never, ever have expected that kind of lifespan from an EPDM roof. just..Wow. Hats off to ya both...:C
2017 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS ("near-luxury" couples coach)

MichaelAtShawRV
Explorer
Explorer
Dicor also makes a pretty good roof coating that comes in two parts. The first is a cleaner/bonding agent/primer for the coating. You apply the primer with a sponge mop and prime the whole roof. After it's done drying you start the coating. Simply paint the stuff on with a rolling paint brush front to back. You don't have to remove the A/C or anything but if you have vent covers then they will need to come off so you can hit around the vents properly. The bonding agent comes in a quart and the coating comes in a gallon. You should try to do 2 coats of this stuff to make sure you hit everything. One gallon and one quart will do 125 Square feet (using two coats). Hope this helps!

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you use to scrub the roof, do it with a push broom. Much quicker than a sponge. For coating it, I would go with Hengs or the Dicor product.

Eternabond is available in 48" widths. A 50' roll is $785.

Eternabond
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Happy_Camper3
Explorer
Explorer
penguin747 wrote:
An entire eternabond roof sounds cool but prob not practical! It is a big undertaking to clean sn reseal an entire roof by yourself, I did my uncles last year for him with the dicor products, it wears your hands and knees out. Time wise it was close to 30+ hours. Just tackle it in stages and good luck

You Eternabonded the entire roof ? any pictures ? any problems with rain draining off ?

penguin747
Explorer
Explorer
An entire eternabond roof sounds cool but prob not practical! It is a big undertaking to clean sn reseal an entire roof by yourself, I did my uncles last year for him with the dicor products, it wears your hands and knees out. Time wise it was close to 30+ hours. Just tackle it in stages and good luck

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you in MN? You can PM me your Town/City location.

I sprayed an acrylic coating on my roof (two coats) in less time than it took to mask the gutters and furnace vent. I may be willing to help if you're close. Total job time would be about three->four hours, depending on circumstances and preparation times.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Happy.Camper wrote:
Thanks ,

I ordered 2 gallons . bringing the camper home this weekend to do the work.

tide powder detergent is all I need to clean the roof ?

What about simple green ? since I already have that in the garage ? Thanks

I read, I think on the Heng's website, that powdered Tide is recommended for cleaning the roof before applying their product.
I just wet the roof, applied a little Tide and scrubbed lightly with a sponge. Then rinse.
I did about a 2'x 3' area at a time.
If you're going to do sections of the roof, I would overlap the Heng's about 6 inches so you can feather it out. JMO

Rinse well and allow to dry before rolling the Heng's.

I used not quite 2 1/2 gallons to coat 30' of roof

Happy_Camper3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks ,

I ordered 2 gallons . bringing the camper home this weekend to do the work.

tide powder detergent is all I need to clean the roof ?

What about simple green ? since I already have that in the garage ? Thanks

Double_Haul
Explorer
Explorer
The stuff really works and it's pretty easy. I power washed then scrubbed the existing with "Crud Cutter" from Home Depot. Cut in the edges with a paint brush then use a paint roller on the roof. Make sure you run the stuff through a bag style paint strainer first since it is very chunky. I put down 4 light coats over two days. I think I used about 1.5 gallons. I touched it up with one coat after three years. It's been 5 years now and will do one coat next year to maintain. Has not peeled, cracked, chipped. I highly recommended it.
2016 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Crew Cab, Duramax
2005 Terry 270FQS
2006 North River 20' Seahawk

Happy_Camper3
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any reason i cant do part of the roof at a time ? Say 1 section each weekend, over 3 weekends ?

Really no primer, and dont have to remove anything ? Maybe i can do this afterall

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Happy.Camper wrote:
can all that be done in 1 day ? did you have to remove the vents and ac unit ?

You don't have to remove anything. I did remove the vent covers just to make it easier. It was four bolts on each cover. I didn't touch the A/C.

I did 30' of roof. It took two days, but I took my time and left the roof dry overnight. I also used a small roller to apply the Heng's because I wasn't in a hurry and wanted to check the roof as I rolled it.

Depending on the length of your RV, you could probably do it in a day, especially since you have the Eternabond and Dicor applied.
Just wash, let it dry and roll on the Heng's (or whatever you use).
I chose Heng's because no primer is needed.

Happy_Camper3
Explorer
Explorer
How much does it cost for a dealer to coat the roof ?