Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: My Ford E350 running a bit hotter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> My Ford E350 running a bit hotter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
rgnprof

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/17 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently had one of my cylinder heads rebuilt and a new exhaust manifold installed, as well as a new radiator and thermostat - just got back from a trip to Colorado and there were several occasions when the MH temp gauge got up to the A and almost to the L (In NORMAL)...prior to this I don't remember the gauge ever going above R.

I was towing a Subaru and we had no troubles, except for this concern...it seemed to me that this was more related to transmission heat, which was confirmed when I started backing the coach into our driveway. It is a bit of an incline, in reverse, into our driveway and it started leaking tranny fluid from the bell housing plug. Pretty good leak, that stopped after I shut off the motor. Pulled the plug and started it up again in 20-30 minutes and no leak at all.

I'm thinking the transmission was running hotter than normal, and the front seal started leaking - probably even more pushed by the Reverse up the incline.

I'm trying to figure out a way to add a transmission cooler - lots of options and opinions...Any thoughts? I've checked out Tru-Cool, B&M, Hayden...also thinking about replacing the fan clutch...also, do you remove the existing cooler that is on the L side of the AC condenser (I guess it's stock)...

Thanks, ryan

I know I may have to replace the front seal, but I thought I might try to change the fluid/filter (BTW, the fluid is nice and red and doesn't smell burnt at all), install the cooler and see what happens first...

* This post was edited 08/07/17 09:31pm by rgnprof *

pauldub

North of Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/17 11:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're doing a lot of guessing about water and tranny temps. Maybe the first step is to get a ScanGauge or equivalent so you can see what the temps really are.

* This post was edited 08/07/17 11:25pm by pauldub *

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/17 11:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing to know is the transmission cooler is not operational in reverse.It is not pumped through the cooler. The worse thing for it is to back up a long grade and then make a sharp turn. Guys that do this consistently report tranny failure more frequently. If you have to back a long grade in reverse, get it in as quickly as possible is the best thing. The more time you take the hotter it gets.

Retired Anesthetist. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS .Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey. Thorp T18, tons of tools and tons of junk.

suprz

rhode island

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/17 03:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From everything i have read on transmission coolers, the stock ones are usually too small. My E450 has a factory transmission cooler separate from the one in the radiator. I am assuming they are plumbed in series. ( i havent checked). BUT if you want to go with a aftermarket cooler, the consensus is that the "stacked" coolers are better than the "tube and fin" coolers. And get one size bigger than is recommended by the manuafcturer, as long a it will fit where you need to put it. I guess the old saying is true. " bigger is better"

Proud father of a US Marine

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/17 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, how about what year and what engine ?

Second, start with a GOOD radiator flushing. I used TWO bottles of Prestone Radiator Flush and Cleaner.

Start be draining the old coolant
Refill with fresh water and flush chemicals
Drive for at least 30 minutes
Drain and refill with fresh water
Drive for at least 30 minutes
Drain, refill with water and drive (I feel this second "rinse" very important)
Drain. Fill with straight coolant and drive

You will likely have too high of a coolant concentration so remove some and replace it with fresh water.

Yes this is time consuming but not difficult and it works very well.

See if you have the factory auxiliary transmission cooler. If you do, then you are godd.

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/17 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pauldub wrote:

You're doing a lot of guessing about water and tranny temps. Maybe the first step is to get a ScanGauge or equivalent so you can see what the temps really are.

X2

Without knowing precise temps of engine coolant and trans fluid everything is a guess.

[emoticon]

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/17 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always use distilled water when refiling the radiator, tap water has to many minerals and salts, they tend to plug radiators and engine passages.

navegator

Tiger02

Western Washington

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/17 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

High tranny temps may cause fluid leakage from the front seal or the vent at the top of the transmission. Once cooled the seals will be OK in most cases.

I run the tru-cool cooler and rarely see temps over 180, and that was fighting a mighty head wind across Texas in 100° temps. I left my stock cooler on there for about ten years, but removed it a couple of years ago with no difference in cooling.

2006 Keystone Outback Sydney 30 FRKS

1997 Ford F350 Auto, 4.10LS Axle, 160,000 Miles, Crew Cab with DRW.

US Army 1984-2016.

rgnprof

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/17 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry - not sure how I left off some info - posted the question late at night I guess...My coach is a 1993 Ford E350 with the 460 and E4OD transmission and 81k miles. Don't think the ScanGuage will work, but I will try and user my laser temp gun to get some better readings (I did this once on the highway and around the thermostat housing temps were in the 225-235 range)...

I always use distilled water, but when I changed the coolant I just drained from the radiator - did not pull the engine block plugs...nor did I do any kind of flush.

The cooler installed now is a factory installed one - I'm pretty sure. It routes the coolant through the radiator as well - I'm assuming to allow the coolant to get warm enough in cold weather...I've read really conflicting opinions on whether an add-on cooler should be added in series with this one, or if you should just replace the factory one completely???

ryan

Sloop Smitten

San Marcos, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/17 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It might be something as simple as you had a lower degree thermostat and they replaced it with the standard 195 degree one.

1992 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 24' M/H
Ford E350 Chassis, 7.5L Engine, E40D Transmission
My other motorhome is a 1978 Catalina 25 Sailboat
Cruising Califonia, Sailing the Pacific!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> My Ford E350 running a bit hotter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS