Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: My Ford E350 running a bit hotter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> My Ford E350 running a bit hotter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/17 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been down this particular road and what I learned..after the coolers were installed..yes, two...was that one of the lines to/from the radiator had a crook in it. That bend went un-noticed until the underside cooler was being installed. Take a good long look for a kink in a line, before spending a bunch of cash on coolers and the like.

You have had some motor work done....take nothing to cause this.

Gary Haupt

on Edit...there are hundreds of thousands of these engine/tranny combos running around. You didn't have the problem before..and now you do. The answer to the problem is something simple.

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/17 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

navegator wrote:

Always use distilled water when refiling the radiator, tap water has to many minerals and salts, they tend to plug radiators and engine passages.

navegator

Excellent advice - NEVER use tap water, not even to flush.
Jugs of distilled water are cheap at the grocery store.
Learned this one the hard way.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/17 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the new radiator the same capacity as the one you replaced? It used to be a matter of how many "rows" of tubes and fins. Now it can be the style and spacing of the them.

Did hose/connection arrangement get changed?

Is all the shrouding around Radiator and Fan back in place?

By all means, check for kinks in the cooling lines. But also, are the hoses new or re-used? I wonder if something came loose in the walls of the tubing and became an obstruction.

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

filrupmark

Richmond,Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/17 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check your timing. ******** timing will run hot . The forum will not allow me to use the word that is the opposite of advanced.

2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

rgnprof

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/17 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks! Great suggestions! A couple of things:

Same thermostat (195F) installed and it was a Motorcraft...

Radiator was an exact replacement - should be the same capacity, nothing got rearranged but I did not replace the lower and upper radiator hoses - they looked fine, but interestingly enough I noticed a very small drip coming from the lower radiator hose just yesterday. I did replace the 3" bypass hose since I had the intake manifold off. Fan shroud is in place, but I need to check all the hoses etc...

One other observation - I had replaced the radiator a few weeks before I ended up pulling the head - so I had to redrain the coolant and I wanted to reuse it so I drained it in to some new drain pans and left it stored like that in my garage for a couple of weeks. Well, over that time it collected some bugs etc. so when I went to put it back in the radiator, I strained it and then filtered it thru some coffee filters. I'm wandering if this somehow affected the coolant? Just a thought...

I was advised to put a cooler thermostat (180F) in to "compensate" for having the head planed...not sure about that advice, but I didn't do it...

garyhaupt

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/17 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rrgnprof...let me the first to say , no, no, NO to your straining and saving. Drain and flush the rad, replace with fresh collant and yes, replace all the rad houses. The constant hot water flow causes deterioration inside the hoses themselves..bits and peieces fall away and cause flow problems. So..lots and lits of water thru the rad to remove any unwanted material.

I 'get' the desire to save money, and for sure, that is a good thing..usually. On engine components is just leads to more trouble.

Gary Haupt

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/17 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You want to make sure your ratio of anti-freeze to water is proper. If not, the engine will run hotter than normal. Too weak or too strong a formula will mess it up.

I recall E-series ambulance conversions use a high capacity radiator/transmission cooler combo not used in any other application including motor homes. It might be a band-aid remedy, but if you don't get resolution via all the other suggestions, I would try one of them. Unfortunately I don't know where you can buy one, but I bet CarringB knows. Hopefully he will chime in. He knows about all this stuff.

I also favor the idea of adding a big external transmission cooler.

* This post was edited 08/08/17 02:27pm by ron.dittmer *

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

rgnprof

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/17 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK - Thanks for the advice! I had changed the radiator hoses a few years back and they looked fine, so I left them (although I did buy new ones and carried them with me...just in case). I am very careful about 50/50 ratio - with only distilled water.

Does anyone think I need to pull the tranny and replace the front seal - and possibly the bushing? Or should I try these other remedies first and then see?

And I did have to pull the distributor to pull the intake manifold...I marked everything very carefully and after some difficulty got the distributor back in to what I thought was the same place...

Question - in the flush procedure described by oldwizard1 earlier in this thread - no mention is made of draining the engine block...I really didn't want to pull these plugs but I'm not sure i can ever be sure of the proper mixture if I'm filling the radiator with water and then not getting ALL fluid to drain out...??

ryan

* This post was edited 08/08/17 02:28pm by rgnprof *

garyhaupt

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/17 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I had my transmission issues...backing up was always the final straw..and then fluid all over the ground. The 'fix' each time was to have a new filter kit put into the transmission. That was accompished by dropping the pan, removal of the filter, and a new one installed. Bingo bango...cheap. What was going on, was the increaased preassure in the transmission due to overheating was blowing out the filter, allowing fluid to by-pass. New filter? no more by-pass..until it over-heated again.

A new filter kit is a lot less money than pulling and a new seal, especially if that is not what's leaking.

Gary Haupt

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/17 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When replacing radiator, hoses make sure that the spring is also transferred to the new hose, it prevents the return hose from collapsing and reducing the flow, this can and will affect the temperature, when having work done be it radiator or hose replaced, always run the engine until the thermostat has opened and then finish filling there is always a bubble of air that has to be purged and this will not happen unlit the thermostat has opened, that bubble can also cause a hot engine, some times it helps to raise the front end a few inches to get the bubble to the highest point, that being the radiator fill port.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> My Ford E350 running a bit hotter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS