Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: My Ford E350 running a bit hotter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> My Ford E350 running a bit hotter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/17 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, how many miles on it? Forgot to ask and it's part of the input form on that automotive site.

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

rgnprof

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/17 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgnprof

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/17 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know it's been several months since I last responded to this thread, but I hadn't taken the coach out until this past weekend.

I ended up replacing the trans cooler with a Tru-Cool unit and I replaced the factory pan with a deeper pan (and the corresponding 4x4 filter). This will be nice down the road because this pan has a drain plug..

Drove it about 250 miles this weekend - on the highway mostly - using OD and not using OD and transmission temps never got above 165F...usually staying around 150F. Granted, I wasn't towing my Subaru and it was much cooler than the last time I drove it in August (in Oklahoma). But considering that on my last trip I wasn't towing the car and ambient temps were in the 90's - my Transmission temps got into the 220s, so I'm pretty happy right now. No puking fluid when I backed up in to my driveway, no leaks...

Sloop Smitten

San Marcos, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/17 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the follow up. Might I inquire which model TruCool you purchased and whether the cooler you replaced was the factory one that sits just to the passenger side of the radiator? I assume you placed the TruCool in the same location?

1992 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 24' M/H
Ford E350 Chassis, 7.5L Engine, E40D Transmission
My other motorhome is a 1978 Catalina 25 Sailboat
Cruising Califonia, Sailing the Pacific!

rgnprof

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/17 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tru-Cool LPD 49211...I'm assuming I replaced the factory one, but mine was to the driver's side in front of the condenser. And yes, I replaced this one in pretty much the same position - it's longer so it fits across most of the front of the condenser...

ryan

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/17 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like progress, Ryan...

Did you leave the radiator's in-tank transmission cooler in the circuit?

Have you been able to confirm the torque converter is locking?

rgnprof

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/17 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, all I did was replace the trans cooler mounted to the front of the condenser - just cut the hoses and used some barbs to connect the new cooler to the existing lines.

I have no idea about the torque converter...the coach runs like it always has so I'm assuming it's fine. I have read thru several pages about this, but still don't have a clear idea of how to make sure (I'm not sure there is one, without better tools than I have access to...)

ryan

rgnprof

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, it's been a while since I've added to this thread, but here goes...

Just haven't used the coach since November until this past weekend. Drove it to southwest Oklahoma, about a 250 mile round trip - 95F on the way down and somewhat cooler on the way back.

Coach is still running hot according to the N-O-R-M-A-L gauge - when ambient was 95F, I was running around A and sometimes up around L. If you read thru or remember this thread, never had this overheating until I replaced the radiator last May (Spectra Premium CU1448). I checked the upper and lower radiator hose temps with a laser thermometer this afternoon on the way back and they read approximately 215F...

One other observation is that the AC works much better until the coolant temps start to rise - mid 40's vent temps, but after coach gets hotter vent temps settle around 60F.

If you remember, I installed a TruCool Transmission cooler and trans temps never got above 170F - so at least that's better. But I'm just not sure why my coach is running hotter. I'm not sure the radiator - even though it's new is working properly and I'm thinking I might replace the thermostat - again. A friend is recommending installing an electric cooling fan, but I'm not sure where or what I can install, or if it will do any good.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
ryan

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/18 10:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Ryan!

Been awhile. Did you catch the thread about a new OP with a Cobra Passport looking for fellow owners?

Our much older Class C with carbed 460 and the old C6 transmission, would sometimes engage its fan clutch at interstate speeds. That was on hot days with A/C running and then hitting a grade. I never thought that was typical, but I'd like to know if yours ever does that. It'd be a roar or a loud buzz.

Overheating in traffic, sure, electric booster fan, pushing air from grille back through Condenser and Radiator. Highway speed, just not sure. It was only a Dodge van, but I had a fan clutch lock up coming home from a trip. Called a mechanic friend. He said a locked clutch type fan can pull the bearing out of a water pump if it's turning 3000 or so RPM. Told me to take out the fan and clutch, remove fan from clutch, re-install clutch (without fan) to retain the pulley on the water pump. Wouldn't overheat at cruise, drive straight home and don't get stopped anyplace. It worked, so I just don't think another fan, or a new fan clutch, is going to help.

Still curious about torque converter not locking, although I think you'd have hot transmission/darkened fluid... Do you have a Tach you can connect, might see a slight RPM drop when it locks even if you don't feel it.

Did the new radiator installation affect the air supply to and through the radiator? By that I mean shrouding and the position of the fan in the shroud.

If I remember, OEM radiators had three rows of tubes, and the upgrade was to have it re-cored with a four-row core. I bought a new radiator for less than a re-core job, and it was "only" two-row, but they were "high efficiency tubes" which were longer measuring front to rear in the core. Is that what the Spectra radiator is? I never had a problem with the new radiator, but our coach was a little smaller, lower, and most likely lighter.

Are you sure your dashboard temperature gauge is accurate?

Boil that thermostat and make sure it opens ALL THE WAY when that pot of water's at a rolling boil. Suspend IN the water so you don't get false burner heat through the bottom of the pot.

* This post was edited 06/12/18 10:15pm by j-d *

DRTDEVL

Las Cruces, NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still haven't seen the post where you put an actual timing light on it and verified that it is not re-tarded... Look at the emissions label, unplug the advance and set it up right before you start chasing ghosts.

Resurrecting an inherited 1980 Minnie Winnie 20RG from the dead after sitting since 1998..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> My Ford E350 running a bit hotter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS