Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: My Ford E350 running a bit hotter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> My Ford E350 running a bit hotter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/18 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DiskDoctr wrote:

...when it goes, it throws junk into the transmission ...If you're not a "transmission guy" (I'm not), either find one or commit to replacing transmission, torque converter and cooler...

This is what I've always heard. Failure of transmission or converter contaminates the other, and the cooler as well, but I'm not a transmission guy either.
You had a gripe that the engine was running warm, and some speculated the converter might not be locking when it should. Slippage causing heat. I wonder if converter WAS failing, one symptom being failure to lock, and it got worse to where it finally scattered. But I'm not a transmission guy...

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

rgnprof

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/18 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got it to a shop today j-d, I had the same thought about the torque converter remembering out earlier conversation about that. I'll check with the shop tomorrow and see what they know. I just barely got it down there today - really overheated and blew out the front seal as soon as I pulled in to their lot.

rgnprof

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got a call from the shop today - they took it for a drive and noticed a vibration at 45mph, so they think I have bad u-joint(s)...

So far, I'm at $1900 for the rebuilt transmission with an upgraded torque converter, pump, clutch kits etc, etc...they replaced everything from what I hear from them.

They want $250 to replace the u-joints - I told them to go ahead but to make sure that was the cause of the vibration. I replaced the u-joints about 7 years ago - I think...Owner assured me he would check out the driveshaft and drive it again after everything was replaced.

DiskDoctr

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 10:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be sure to use Spicer U-joints or you might find them needing replaced again in short order. They will absolutely cause a "craqp my transmission is dying" vibration.

Ask me how I know [emoticon]

PS- $1900 is CHEAP for a transmission rebuild.

rgnprof

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I thought $1900 was VERY reasonable. Most places around here (OKC) were right around the $2000 range, but it depended on the torque converter and the fluid. I just hope they did good work! I have no complaints so far, but I just picked it up today and drove it home - actually drove better than at any time since I've owned it (8 years).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> My Ford E350 running a bit hotter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS