cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fresh water tank fill, carbon 327

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
So I know I can see the faces already on this and maybe it is a stupid question. But here goes, when your filling your fresh water and walk away. so said tank continues to fill, and is full. will the excess water come out the vent on the side of the trailer? No I haven't overfilled mine yet, but I also have never really filled it to the top.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside
15 REPLIES 15

Y-Guy
You might want to get a Water Flow Meter, you can find them at Home Depot, etc. Once you know that you can figure out how long it should take. But with the variances in water pressure, hose size (1/2", 5/8" or 3/4") and length there are two many variables to guess.

Garden Hose Flow Rate and Time

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

garyhesq
Explorer
Explorer
It takes me 20-25 minutes to fill a 100 gallon tank with the spigot wide open. So I'd say 30-35.
Gary

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not trying to hijack the thread but my questions is related to filling my fresh water tanks. I have 150 gallons of fresh water (2 x 75gal), how long should it take to fill? I've let the hose run for what it seems like a eternity but have never filled them.
A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
thanks Gary!

garyhesq
Explorer
Explorer
My 327 has a vent/overflow just to the rear of the access door for the water utilities. If you fill it all the way the water will will come out the vent/overflow. As far as filling it to fast, at least on my 327, that would be hard to do. The fill line is 1/2" PEX and the vent line is 1" flex hose. The vent is much bigger than the fill so it has a greater capacity.
Gary

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
Whatever you do do it SLOWLY! I split my tank at the upper seam by filling it too fast and not venting the air properly.

2nd that you could assume it's full but when you get to camp it's half full but your gauges read full? Yep it happen to me slow is the way to go luckily it was a day trip.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the info everyone.

JAC1982, while they are both keystone products my hose doesn't just sit in a filler spout, I know my old outback travel trailer was like this. The carbon I believe like most newer 5th wheels have a switch so you move it from normal to fill, the hose remains screwed to the same fitting. This was why I wanted some reassurance but after thinking about this I guess the excess water would have no place to go but out the vent.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, our Impact just starts overflowing where the hose is put in. Keystone product so I'd imagine similar setup for your Carbon? I usually am the water spigot controller and the hubs holds the hose, so I can turn it off right when it starts overflowing. I also slow down the flow when I think it's close to the top.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you do do it SLOWLY! I split my tank at the upper seam by filling it too fast and not venting the air properly.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
I knew it had a vent and now after posting this I guess the worse that should happen is it will come out the vent hole on the side of the trailer.

Y-Guy
Testing is the only sure fire way to know. Some gravity fills have a air release vent right by the hose portion. Many will have a vent on top of the tank.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
I guess the only way ill know for certain is to let it fill, to this date I have always stopped when it got 3/4 But next month I will need a full tank.

My trailer has 2 spots that will spit water out when full... an overflow tube under the frame, and a vent hole next to the fill port
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
that wont happen on mine as the hose is screwed onto it and not resting in the fill tube.