cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is an upper tier trailer worth twice as much (price)?

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
While I would love a 38' Momentum I can't seem to get over the fact I can get a 38' FR ( or similar product ) for half the cost. I know this because a friend of mine just bought a close-out 38' Vengeance for low 30's with a Gen. At the end of they day they use a lot of the same systems ( axles , ac's , appliances etc ) so it seems quite a premium. Bear in mind what ever I buy I will store in closed storage so I would think they will both hold up about the same ( roof ,structure ,etc ) If you think about the dep value out say 10 yrs ( not counting fin charges ) you may loose 15K on the FR and 40K on the GD ( guessing a bit here ) - looking around it doesn't seem than any 10 yr old 5er holds its value very well. Am I far off here? Is there an add'l 25K +/- worth of value there?
2017 F250 PSD 4X4
2015 Livin Lite Axxcess 24FBA
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe
34 REPLIES 34

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
JAC1982 wrote:
Wild Card wrote:
Check out Sundowner commercial grade toyhauler. Perfect balance of fluff for the bride and aluminum for the bill payer

Yes cause us "brides" don't help pay the bills too or anything. :R

You tell him!!!

Knuckle dragger. :M

Nobody has a scence of humor around here.

I have a great sense of humor... not sure what scence is.

And, for the record, it was my husband who wanted the luxury features in our current rig... I would have been happy spending less even if it meant getting something used or less "fancy". I only care about a working bathroom and a comfortable bed.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
hvac wrote:
Livin lite original model was all metal like ATC.

Then they were bought out by Thor. Soon all metal roof gone. Then all metal cabinets gone or optional. I think travel trailers all metal floor gone. They got heavier. I maybe wrong on some of this but the pattern is obvious, all metal roof is a line in the sand for me. I think they dropped torsion suspension on some models.

Yep - I think I got one of the last all alumn ones.. hell it may be a collectors item..LOL
2017 F250 PSD 4X4
2015 Livin Lite Axxcess 24FBA
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
JAC1982 wrote:
Wild Card wrote:
Check out Sundowner commercial grade toyhauler. Perfect balance of fluff for the bride and aluminum for the bill payer

You tell him!!!

Nobody has a scence of humor around here.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, you can tell it's in a death spiral by the dropping sales. Oh, wait a minute, sales are really high. Go figure. Doomsayers will always be popular.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
http://rvdr-cdn3.appxtreme.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/RV-Industry-Death-Spiral-compilation.pdf

Read this. It confirms the industry can not survive it current customer experience. Millenials won't support it.

dedmiston
JAC1982 wrote:
Wild Card wrote:

You tell him!!!

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
This where I got mine. Almost the same but we have the happi jac.They could have it delivered. Built solid, no issues, none first 2k miles.

www.rvtrader.com/listing/2018-Atc---Aluminum-Trailer-Company-8.5--X-28--BEDROOM-122812310

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
I agree its hard work buying a quality built unit. But, nothing like it. Our ATC 28 front bedroom with Onan gen is a work of art. Well worth the effort.

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Livin lite original model was all metal like ATC.

Then they were bought out by Thor. Soon all metal roof gone. Then all metal cabinets gone or optional. I think travel trailers all metal floor gone. They got heavier. I maybe wrong on some of this but the pattern is obvious, all metal roof is a line in the sand for me. I think they dropped torsion suspension on some models.

dannko
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
hvac wrote:
Don't buy traditional rv construction. Its a minefield of deception hidden by pretty, but cheap materials and workmanship.

Reach out and support companies like ATC. Heck even Livin lite is still trying but going in the wrong direction. Becker custom trailers should be on your short list as well.

Your warned...

If I were a single guy I'd be all over some of those, but I'm having a hard enough time convincing my wife that a traditional toy hauler isn't too utilitarian. If I tried to take her camping in a slightly warmed over stock trailer I'd be a lonely camper in short order.

I am looking at Livin Lite only because ATC is a tad too expensive, but would like to know why hvac (cannot find that reply in this thread) is saying they are GOING THE WRONG DIRECTION?

I am down to Sundowner, ATC, Livin Lite but without special ordering the dealers are horrible at ordering units, no gens, no second happijacs, one ac, and on and on...these sales people need to learn how to order units, as most of us want them decked out.

crazybanshee
Explorer
Explorer
Walden sand dunes May 2017
2007 Volvo VNL780
2017 Momentum 397th
2 Honda 400EX's
3 Yamaha Banshees
Honda 250EX
15 Polaris 900 S VOODOO Blue
15 Polaris 900 S Titanium Matte Metal
17 Polaris S 1000 Stealth Black
Polaris Outlaw 110

tmm2good
Explorer
Explorer
crazybanshee wrote:

We went from a Cyclone to a Momentum. Fit and finish of our new one is much better than the old one

Walden Dunes?
18 GD Momentum 376
13 GMC Denali Dually D/A
Motorcycles / ATV's

crazybanshee
Explorer
Explorer

We went from a Cyclone to a Momentum. Fit and finish of our new one is much better than the old one
2007 Volvo VNL780
2017 Momentum 397th
2 Honda 400EX's
3 Yamaha Banshees
Honda 250EX
15 Polaris 900 S VOODOO Blue
15 Polaris 900 S Titanium Matte Metal
17 Polaris S 1000 Stealth Black
Polaris Outlaw 110

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
We full-time in a 42' Momentum that we bought new 3 years ago. When all's said and done, the layout was the deciding factor to us. At the level we bought, all comparable rigs were priced similarly. I don't think the overall quality among any of the brands is that great as at the end of the day they're all assembled similarly and with some of the same brand components. Buy what you like at a price you can afford.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)