cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Internet options for full timers

spuyear
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are preparing to become full timers. However, I still need to work and require high-speed internet access. Anyone out there have a solution that works well for them? Is so, can you share your experience? Thanks!
42 REPLIES 42

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Still way worse than cellular. With the satellite located 22,300 miles above the Earth the time it takes to get a signal from your computer to the satellite, back to the Earth station, out to the internet, back to the Earth station, back to the satellite and back to your computer creates a substantial delay (ping times or latency) compared to cellular or cable. Internet requests via cellular are usually somewhere in the 39 ms time frame when each request using satellite can take 500 ms or more (300-700ms average). Many satellite providers use proxy services that allow multiple requests at the same time to help over come this problem but proxies can also render some software and connections unusable, especially those wanting to use some kind of VPN or financial software.
Easier to point is also an interesting statement. Certainly easy to point when you only need to find 1 satellite, but the size of the antenna and tripod setup required for a reliable setup is big and bulky and no fun at all to setup on a rainy day!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Satellite is WAY worse than cellular when it comes to speed but the coverage is everywhere.

With HughesNet Gen 5 Mobile, I get at least 25 Meg download speed. 35 G for $90 and about $1400 for equipt. And it is mobile no having to call Hughes each time you move. Easier than setting up a DirecTV dish.
I don't sell any of this but got one of the first ones. Check out if this may work for you at http://www.mobileinternetsatellite.com/
BTW I also have a grandfathered Verizon unlimited plan I can use as a hot spot.
Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle

Hitchitch.com

Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Satellite is WAY worse than cellular when it comes to speed but the coverage is everywhere.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
spuyear wrote:
My wife and I are preparing to become full timers. However, I still need to work and require high-speed internet access. Anyone out there have a solution that works well for them? Is so, can you share your experience? Thanks!

I think that you have a real problem if you want high speed internet in an RV.
I use the Verizon jet pack for internet service. However, it is far from being high speed. You can't stream Netflix for example. You can't stream movies. Verizon limits the amount of streaming you can do.
Extra antennas will not increase your signal. I have seen people use very expensive equipment, without luck.
I knew a business guy that used a computer in his RV. He used the Hughes satellite system. I don't know how effective it is.

good luck . . . . ken
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

mike102
Explorer
Explorer
We use version our jet pack after using 15G it slows way down after 12 days of use but we have 2 cell phones on unlimited so we us one of those hot spots till we reach 15g on that one then go to the other cell by that time we reset to a new month and we start over this works great for us, yeah it cost but were e-bay sellers on the road and this works very good.
2015 Crossroads sunset trail ST32RL
2000 Dodge 2500 V10 excab short bed

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many reports exist that the plan has been discontinued as mentioned above but info on the website contridicts that information. There are other "limited" unlimited plans but the $20 plan may or may not still exists.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Still a few months away from hitting the road, at that time I intend to activate the unlimited data hot spot in my truck. Hope it works out.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just don't mention the RV part. Tell them it will be installed in a 2012 Jeep Liberty or any relatively modern car of your choice with the appropriate OBD II connector.

spuyear
Explorer
Explorer
I will try and report back results.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can you send them this information which comes right off their website today?

AT&T Connected Car Unlimited Plan:
U.S. only. Consumer and Individual Responsibility Users only. Eligibility: Requires eligible vehicle, eligible aftermarket device and new or existing AT&T wireless account. Data Restrictions: After 22GB of data usage on vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot in a bill cycle, for the rest of the cycle AT&T may slow data speeds on vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot during periods of network congestion. Pricing: $20 per aftermarket device monthly plan charge (3 aftermarket devices on plan results in $60 monthly plan charge). Devices: Sold separately. Limits: 3 aftermarket devices per plan. Hotspot: Connects up to 5 Wi-Fi capable devices per vehicle hotspot. Devices connected to vehicleโ€™s hotspot use data from your plan. Once a device connects, it will automatically reconnect and use data from your plan unless hotspot is removed from returning device settings or hotspot password is changed. Performance varies based on number of devices connected and other factors. Video Streaming: Plan includes Stream Saver, which allows you to save data by streaming higher definition video at Standard Definition quality (about 480p). AT&T will activate it. Check your account online to see if active. You may then turn it off or back on at any time at att.com/myatt. Stream saver will not recognize all video content. Ability to stream & video resolution vary, and are affected by other factors. Restrictions apply. See att.com/streamsaver for details. International: Wi-Fi hotspot functionality not available outside of U.S. General Wireless Service Terms: Subject to Wireless Customer Agreement (see att.com/wca). Services are not for resale. Credit approval and deposit may apply. Other Monthly Charges per Line: May include taxes, fed. & state universal svc. charges, Reg. Cost Recovery Charge (up to $1.25), gross receipts surcharge, Admin. Fee, & certain govโ€™t assessments which are not govโ€™t reqโ€™d charges. Pricing, promotions & terms subject to change & may be modified or terminated at any time without notice. Coverage & svc. not avail. everywhere. You get an off-net (roaming) usage allowance for each vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot. If you exceed the allowance, your svc(s) may be restricted or terminated. Other restrโ€™s apply & may result in svc termination.

spuyear
Explorer
Explorer
Be advised that AT&T has discontinued its $20/month unlimited plan for new Mobley subscribers. If your rig already has OnStar built-in, you can still get the plan. New Mobley subscribers only get 5GB data for $25/mo.

I have been battling with AT&T for 3 weeks now regarding the change since when I bought the Mobley I was promised I could get the plan.

steveksfc
Explorer
Explorer
4GCommunity.org will be stopping services November 30 2017 unfortunately. The 4GAntenna referenced https://4gantennashop.com/ is a service that is offered for internet service. Check them out. They purchase service from Sprint I believe and can usually get deals that others can't provide or won't.

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
BarbaraOK wrote:
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
We use an average of 12-18 GB bandwidth per month. What really upsets me is that much of that bandwidth goes to videos/ advertisements various websites use. Forget about getting news from any source without more bandwidth for their videos than actual news.......

You need to use Ad Blocker and a Flash Control extension to block videos from playing. There are a lot of different extensions out there that will accomplish that for you - - just depends upon the browser that you use.

Barb

Chrome will get better at stopping those annoying autoplay videos starting in January
Link to the article

Hitchitch.com

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
BarbaraOK wrote:
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
We use an average of 12-18 GB bandwidth per month. What really upsets me is that much of that bandwidth goes to videos/ advertisements various websites use. Forget about getting news from any source without more bandwidth for their videos than actual news.......

You need to use Ad Blocker and a Flash Control extension to block videos from playing. There are a lot of different extensions out there that will accomplish that for you - - just depends upon the browser that you use.

Barb

Just saw an article that Google Chrome in Jan of 2018 was going to block streaming video adds form news sites.

Hitchitch.com