cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Temporary Storage in Anchorage

BeautyTheBeast
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! Just found this forum and it looks like it will be immensely helpful as I plan a trip to Alaska in 2018 in a 40' motorhome. The question uppermost in my mind today is regarding temporary storage for the motorhome in Anchorage. As part of our planned summer in AK, we will be flying to Juneau for a week or so and will need a place to keep the motorhome while we are gone. I called Airport Parking and they accept RVs in the lot. Or, I was wondering if there were any RV storage places that would keep it for up to 10 days. I am valuing security above cost. Leaving it at a campground doesn't sound appealing security-wise, especially after reading reviews of the ones around Anchorage. Any ideas?
10 REPLIES 10

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
We left our mh in Palmer as well last year as we had to fly home for a bit. Left it hooked up in the space we rented.

HalD
Explorer
Explorer
We left our trailer at Big Bear campground in Palmer this summer and flew to Kodiak. I think they charged maybe $10 for 4 days.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, Publix on Dowling rented (to me) and Boatworks of Alaska quoted (I didn't use them) 40' spots for circa $100/month.......I think Publix might have rented for a shorter term than one month; don't know about BWA, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Granted, $100 is $100, but might be worth it even if only used for 1 week. Both of these locations have fenced/gated/video'd storage.....I would have felt comfortable putting my $XXX,XXX boat in either of them.

...although I did put some pretty bad**s locks on the trailer when it was in there. ๐Ÿ™‚
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

BeautyTheBeast
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions, PA12DRVR. I will be making some phone calls to see which places can accommodate a 40' mh and for a relatively short period of time. I had found some others thru Google searches and tried to get a feel for the neighborhood by using satellite and street views but it is more helpful to get the opinion of a local. I will stay away from the two areas you mentioned.

I was thinking maybe my post would catch the eye of someone who has done this before. Surely someone has been touring Alaska in an rv and added a fly-in fishing or bear viewing side trip and needed to park the rv for a bit. Anyone?

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Addressing only RV storage in Anchorage (not whether or not you'll be in Juneau, Haines, etc)

- I stored my boat for 8 months at Publix in an exterior gated lot. There were motorhomes there as well. I'd feel confident recommending them, presuming they had a 40' spot available. Either the "Publix Dimond" or "Publix Dowling" locations.
- Airport parking is probably as secure as anything, might be more costly than others
- "Best Storage" offers RV exterior storage in a few locations around Los Anchorage.
- "Airport Road Storage" is well thought of and they store vehicles and boats....not sure about RV's of 40' size.
- There are a couple of dedicated RV and Boat storage lots that I can't recall the names of right now, but will update a bit later (I drive by them almost every day).
- Personal preference here: Avoid storage areas in either Mountain View or Muldoon (North and Northeast Anchorage respectively)
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
If you are traveling the Alaska Highway, Haines isn't that far off it.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

BeautyTheBeast
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, Haines is not on the itinerary for this trip.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
More apt to find parking area in Haynes! Many others leave rigs there.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

BeautyTheBeast
Explorer
Explorer
What we are doing in Juneau does not require the motorhome so it would have to sit unoccupied regardless of where it is located.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Not to change your mind, but have you thought of going to Haynes and taking ferry to Juneau coming or going?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow