cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handguns into Canada

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
I think that perhaps my retort to a post caused the thread to be closed. I apologize to those that were actively involved in the thread. I would rather see one stay alive if it can be educational. As in...exactly what kinds of weapons are allowed into Canada. Not hearsay or guessing..but if a person knows, I for one, would enjoy having that knowledge.

I promise to to read only and not participate in discussion.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/
19 REPLIES 19

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
So I used rv.net to prepare for my Alaska trip in 2005. I did take shotguns because we were going to be bird hunting while in Alaska.

My guess is there has been an active thread on Canada and guns ever since (maybe long before) and the information never changes.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bring a rifle instead and save yourself some aggravation.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Getting into Canada is easy. Don't bring guns. We crossed the border a couple weeks ago. We were stopped at the gate for less than 30 seconds. Passports scanned. Must have showed all records as clear. A question or two & enjoy your visit.

Canada is a very safe place.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
and don't think you can mail it to somebody in Canada to pick up

we met someone in a cg up here who tried. lost his gun and passport and is awaiting a trial, he's lucky he's out on bail
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
I do want to hit on how important the 4457 is to a US national. You cannot bring the gun home without it. The Canadians probably won't let you leave it behind. Plus under the ITAR (international traffic in arms regulations) law in the US you can't leave it behind. So you are stuck in limbo if the 4457 is lost, defaced or cannot be read. Remember, customs does not keep a copy. Did you keep a bill of sale? Will someone fax it to you? Not a place you want to be. Been through this wringer, not with Canada. In African countries the 4457 is viewed as a firearms permit, card or whatever. It is easier to replace a passport than this little piece of paper when outside of the US. Laminate it (some say this defaces the document) or keep it in a baggie, with passport and health record (I do not want to get shots in an African airport).

Now if you want to get a major caliber handgun into the great north, become a competitive shooter. This is second hand from my son, but forgiving the acronyms, shoot USPSA in the US, it is under the IPSC that holds matches in Canada. They held a championship match in Manitoba last week. The ATT should be granted, but it may be shortest route, shoot and get out; I don't know. You will not fake this, you have to qualify. It is like an RV, gun, sights, gunsmith work, reloading set up, and 1,000 to 5,000 rounds a week. It is hole into which you throw money, but as an RV fans we should understand. So, if you follow this route it is like an RV, airplane or race car. Don't blame me when you are too broke to buy a new camper.

There are probably other ways, such as police shoots and so on, but it ain't worth it, unless it is something you are going to do anyways. Plus, do you want to be an American, that shoots a Canadian in Canada? No matter what kind of guy he is, you are most likely to have a very interesting story to tell! In 10 to 20.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
thomas201 wrote:
For US Customs, the 4457, don't forget the 4457. Get it before you travel.

The form you speak of is a US Customs & Border Protection (CBP) one.

Great for entering a firearm into the US, but not accepted by Canadian Border Services Authorities (CBSA, Canada Customs).

Different countries with different requirements.

Lakeside

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Back in 1987 I was going into Canada for a dog trial where we used shotguns to shoot pheasants and have our dogs flush and retrieve the birds.

As I entered Canada I was asked if I had any guns. I declared my shotgun.

I was then asked if they could search my pickup camper which I agreed to let them do.

In a drawer of my camper they found an empty revolver holster that I had forgot to leave home.

Needless to say they completely searched the truck and camper looking for the revolver that went with the holster.

There was no revolver as I knew you could not take a revolver or handgun into Canada.

I was also fortunate that I did not have any handgun ammo in the camper.

Unless things have changed since 1987 which I doubt I can attest handguns are not allowed in Canada by ordinary people.

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
For US Customs, the 4457, don't forget the 4457. Get it before you travel.

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I am a gun nut who has traveled with a firearm, always a long gun to several countries, although not Canada since the 1970's. Might I suggest, sending handguns to a friendly neighborhood gunsmith in Alaska. I had a trip to Alaska planned, that did not happen. Found a smith in Montana and one in Alaska to do the transfer. Their fees plus shipping were lower than my cost on shipping (I no longer get a discount).

This is easy, compared to obtaining the ATT from an official in each Province that I needed to cross. Plus, I could not come up with a good reason.

I would suggest a bolt action firearm for crossing Canada. When you are separated form the gun, carry the bolt in the bottom of your backpack. You cannot stop a thief, but pulling the bolt destroys the economic value of the gun, you need a new bolt, barrel set back and rechamber. Thieves are not completely stupid, and will often leave the gun behind. A good guest, never leaves a problem behind in his host's home. I hope this suggestion helps.

Willcamp4
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine was going to Canada and as a retired cop always had a handgun with him. He "forgot" to remove it from his trailer and leave it at home. When he arrived at the Port of Entry was asked about guns and fessed up to having forgotten to remove the gun. Despite that, his gun was seized and he was denied entry into Canada. He thought he was going to jail and still can neither get his gun back or return to Canada. Another friend entering Canada spent four hours at the Port while their truck and trailer were searched.

That said, when we went to Canada this summer, even though they were aware I am a retired cop, we passed through in minutes without incident. Good luck!
Willcamp4
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Crew Cab, Lariat, 6.7L PSTD, Air Lift rear suspension.
Alpenlite Valhalla Limited Fifth Wheel, two Solar panels, four six-volt batteries, two Honda EU2000i generators

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Canada's laws aren't overly unique for travellers crossing the border. Canadians need approvals and permits to take firearms into the US too. It must be done in advance and can take up to three months.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
TxGearhead wrote:
Oh well, the shotgun will be it I suppose.

Be aware though that border agents in Canada, just like CBP agents, have broad discretion on what they will and will not allow across the border.

Generally speaking a firearm will only be allowed across the border for, a) transiting shortest distance, I.E. from lower 48 to AK or vice versa, b) a hunting trip, in the right place and season, or, c) personal protection against wild animals, in an area the border agent is convinced such protection is warranted, and with some evidence that is where the traveller is going.

Saying you're heading to 'the woods' in Banff or Jasper, or that you're 'just passing through' likely will get you a stern but polite refusal, regardless of paperwork.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Upon further reading...you are likely correct.
I had always heard that you couldn't bring a handgun but when I saw all the info about handguns on the declaration sheet I thought it was OK.
Now I see a paragraph about what you have to have to cross with a hangun. It is listed as restricted if more than 4.1" barrel, but not prohibited. I stopped reading there, and missed the blurb about what you have to do to import a restricted firearm. That is where they say you have to get an ATT, Authorization To Transport. I assume that is where it will all come to a stop.
Oh well, the shotgun will be it I suppose.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive