cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fresh Figs

DebsDad
Explorer
Explorer
Our fig tree has an abundance of figs again this year. Do any of you have recipes for using figs? I have made jam and pickled figs but would like something different. Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
He's still on TV. I watch him everyday on PBS channel! :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:
Jacques Pepin - Figs and Walnuts with honey wine sauce

I enjoyed watching his shows on Saturdays years ago. Simple and delicious recipes that translate well to cast iron cookware and dutch ovens.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chris Bryant wrote:
Grilled, wrapped in bacon or prosciutto.

Those are called "Devils on Horseback".
Tasty.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Jacques Pepin - Figs and Walnuts with honey wine sauce

"Figs are dried, split open. I stuff the opened figs with walnut halves and cook them in butter, honey, and white wine in a skillet to create a sauce, then sprinkle them with blueberries. Choose soft, moist figs that are as large as possible. The blueberries add color and texture to the dish, but you can omit them or substitute raisins or pomegranate seeds as a garnish."

4 servings

12 dried figs (7โ€“8 ounces total)
12 walnut halves
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup dry fruity white wine
1/3 cup honey
1 cup blueberries

Cut the figs into halves and arrange them flesh side up on a platter. Press 1 walnut half into each fig half and press on the nut to embed it well.

Melt the butter in a medium nonstick saucepan and add the wine and honey. Arrange the figs, walnut side up, in the pan and bring to a boil. Cover and boil gently for about 2 minutes, or until the mixture is syrupy and the figs are glazed.

Let the figs cool to room temperature. Arrange them, walnut side up, on a platter. Pour the sauce over the figs.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

roman_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:

We have a winner.

RT

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:

Could they be stuffed with cream cheese before wrapping?

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Saw in a magazine a Flatbread Pizza with Figs. Have not tried it.

Sliced Figs
Red Onion
Goat Cheese
Arugula
Balsamic Drizzle

Also, Dried Apricots, Figs on a water cracker are good

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
-- Chris Bryant

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Our trees had an abundance of figs, but the honey bees, wasps and birds has taken them all, I waited to long to get the figs to make the strawberry fig preserves. There is an abundance of green ones but with all the rain they are splitting. Looks like I will have to wait for them to ripen, all the neighbors figs are the same way. However I am glad that the honey bees got there share.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Shortie1915
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried Sicilian Christmas Cookies? Of course, you would have to dry the figs first, but all the effort is worth the end product!!!

Cuccidati Recipe

Ingredients:

2 cups raisins
3/4 pound pitted dates
3/4 cup sugar
2 small navel oranges, peeled and quartered
1/3 pound dried figs
1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1/4 cup water

DOUGH:

1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda

GLAZE:

2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 to 3 tablespoons milk

Directions
Place the first seven ingredients in a food processor; cover and process until finely chopped. Set aside. Sometimes I add a generous splash of rum!

In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough into four portions; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.

Roll out each portion between two sheets of waxed paper into a 16-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Spread 1 cup filling lengthwise down the center of each. Starting at a long side, fold dough over filling; fold the other side over the top. Pinch seams and edges to seal. Cut each rectangle diagonally into 1-in strips. Place seam side down on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.

Bake at 400ยฐ for 10-14 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Combine confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over cookies. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 5 dozen.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
No recipes, but you brought back somewhat terrifying memories of my aunt in her old beatup shortie pink robe picking figs from the tree across the street at 6am on Saturdays, trying to hide from the folks driving by to get to the auction. She'd come back in and laugh about making a big train....
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)