cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

East side of Zion NP

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I am looking for a BLM or other low cost place to camp on the East side of Zion NP so I do not need to drive the tunnel each day we visit Zion. I think our 30 foot trailer is too big for Ponderosa Grove BLM campground. Any other suggestions.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
11 REPLIES 11

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
c.traveler2 wrote:
4x4van wrote:
Regarding the tunnel; would a class A with a total height of 12' (to the top of A/C) be allowed through the tunnel?

I think you'll make it.

The answer is here...Zion NP tunnel
Thanks; great info in that link!
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
I have never stayed there, but the BLM land (and dispersion camps) just south of the junction of 9 and 89 is closer than Ponderosa Grove. Have fun.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
4x4van wrote:
Regarding the tunnel; would a class A with a total height of 12' (to the top of A/C) be allowed through the tunnel?

I think you'll make it.

The answer is here...Zion NP tunnel
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
TenOC wrote:
I am looking for a BLM or other low cost place to camp on the East side of Zion NP so I do not need to drive the tunnel each day we visit Zion. I think our 30 foot trailer is too big for Ponderosa Grove BLM campground. Any other suggestions.

Try this website..16 free campsite near Zion NP
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
4runnerguy wrote:
Precious few options east of Zion and all would involve a fair amount of driving every day you want to head into Zion. You'll also still get stuck in the traffic delays at the tunnel as they alternate travel directions.

I guess if you really want to stay on the east side, try finding a boondocking location. Not the easiest thing as finding a good land ownership map isn't easily done. You could try this site. Zoom to the area you are interested in, mark "Land Status" in the lower left hand corner, highlight BLM Lands in the left menu and see what you can find on a satellite image that has a place to park. I spent a little time trying this and found few places where it seems that a campsite was obvious, but you could spend more time and find something. You might also highlight State Lands as those are sometimes open to dispersed camping also.

There are also BLM lands west of the park around Gooseberry Mesa where I've seen people camping but it's been a few years and I can't point out a specific place to you.

Good Luck. Not an easy task.
That webpage is a nice resource, 4runnerguy! Thanks! Looks like there are some possibilities.

It's a tough area as there is a lot of private land interspersed with various government lands.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
Precious few options east of Zion and all would involve a fair amount of driving every day you want to head into Zion. You'll also still get stuck in the traffic delays at the tunnel as they alternate travel directions.

I guess if you really want to stay on the east side, try finding a boondocking location. Not the easiest thing as finding a good land ownership map isn't easily done. You could try this site. Zoom to the area you are interested in, mark "Land Status" in the lower left hand corner, highlight BLM Lands in the left menu and see what you can find on a satellite image that has a place to park. I spent a little time trying this and found few places where it seems that a campsite was obvious, but you could spend more time and find something. You might also highlight State Lands as those are sometimes open to dispersed camping also.

There are also BLM lands west of the park around Gooseberry Mesa where I've seen people camping but it's been a few years and I can't point out a specific place to you.

That webpage is a nice resource, 4runnerguy! Thanks! Looks like there are some possibilities.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer

Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I recall looking for the same thing a while back, and the closest I could find looked like an hour-long drive up dirt roads into NF land to the north. Hopefully someone will chime in with something closer...
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
rv2go wrote:
TenOC wrote:

If you stay on the East side of Zion, wont you still have to drive thru the tunnel to get to the valley?

Yes, but not with the 30 foot long 12 foot tall trailer.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:

If you stay on the East side of Zion, wont you still have to drive thru the tunnel to get to the valley?
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog