cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chicken of the woods

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer

Was Trout fishing yesterday and came across this Chicken Of The Woods.
Soaked it in salt water for about 3 hours and had it for supper last night simmered in Zesty Italian dressing. Now that's good eating. This is the only mushroom that can be frozen and used later.
Dennis Hoppert
5 REPLIES 5

sofive0
Explorer
Explorer
What is the name these? You talked about the woes of them being under-cooked, how long do they need to cooked for and by what method if you don't mind. I would love to find some and give them a try.

Dennis12 wrote:

Was Trout fishing yesterday and came across this Chicken Of The Woods.
Soaked it in salt water for about 3 hours and had it for supper last night simmered in Zesty Italian dressing. Now that's good eating. This is the only mushroom that can be frozen and used later.
2018 Ram 3500 Carolina Customs Flatbed w/gooseneck hitch, 6.7ltr Cummins Diesel Engine
2013 Heartland Sundance 3400QB
Eaz-Lift 15" Gooseneck Adapter

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Is their color the thing that helps you identify this mushroom? I've seen fungi shaped like that and growing on dead wood, but never that color.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
We've read about them and looked for them, but no luck ๐Ÿ˜ž

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Try one, they are great. Just make sure you cook them a little longer if they are thick. I got these up above deep creek, they will be coming out down here as soon as the nights get down in the 40's. Don't rip them off use a knife and they will be there for years to come.Wont hurt you but you will get the runs if under cooked. Good for you. They kill the cells that cancer thrives on. Look into it.
Dennis Hoppert

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Hi neighbor! Those look awesome, never ate one.