cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lubricating the pop up raising system ?

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
We bought a 2003 small Coleman Pop up, and every time I raise the roof, I get aerobic turning the crank.
Is there any way to lubricate the system to make it easier ?

Jack L
Jack & Nanci
13 REPLIES 13

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Adam H wrote:
Downwindtracker2 wrote:
Yes it should be, but the power lift on our StarCraft had Chinese galvanized. On a two year old trailer ,it was already fraying. Next time you step in an elevator, remember most cable is imported now.

Fleetwood campers use all stainless lift cables. One of the reasons I purchased a Fleetwood over the other makes.

Adam

Fleetwood carried that over from Coleman. Those **** things were almost bulletproof. Too bad all RVs are not built the way Coleman built the popups. The demise of Coleman/Fleetwood/FCTA popups is a sad story indeed.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is how to maintain / lubricate the Goshen lift. Read through the entire thread.

Click Me
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Adam_H
Explorer
Explorer
I believe Rockwood uses a Goshen lift system that has specific grease points. Google Goshen for the locations and buy a lot of grease, I've heard it will take a tube or 2 from a grease gun.

Adam
2007 Fleetwood Avalon HW PUP
2001 Excursion 6.8L V10 3.73
2005 F150 5.4L
Gone but not Forgotten: 1971 Trailstar PUP, 2002 Fleetwood Wilderness Northwest Edition, 2002 Keystone Bobcat 280-EB

FF286
Explorer
Explorer
I have a rock wood 296 hw. It has the electric lift. the only thing I have noticed is that one of the lift arms does not seem to move up as smoothly as the others, it lowers fine. Can you spray silicone on the arm or is there anything else to check. Or could that be normal.

Adam_H
Explorer
Explorer
NanciL wrote:

Thanks Adam
I did it all and it is amazing how much easier it is to crank up now.

My wife could only take a few turns of the crank before because it was so hard, and I would have to stop three or four times to catch my breath.
Now I can get it right up with out stopping.

I am guessing that this is the first time the pulleys and system has been lubed

Many thanks agin,

Jack L

Glad it all worked out. Make sure to squirt the pulleys every spring when you get it ready for the summer. I lube the whiffle tree every 2 years and that seems to work good.

Adam
2005 F150 5.4L
Gone but not Forgotten: 1971 Trailstar PUP, 2002 Fleetwood Wilderness Northwest Edition, 2002 Keystone Bobcat 280-EB

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Adam H wrote:
Downwindtracker2 wrote:
Yes it should be, but the power lift on our StarCraft had Chinese galvanized. On a two year old trailer ,it was already fraying. Next time you step in an elevator, remember most cable is imported now.

Fleetwood campers use all stainless lift cables. One of the reasons I purchased a Fleetwood over the other makes.

Adam

I inspected the entire cable system and was very pleased to see how bright and shiny they all were.

jack L
Jack & Nanci

Adam_H
Explorer
Explorer
Downwindtracker2 wrote:

Adam
2005 F150 5.4L

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
Adventure before dementia

Adam_H
Explorer
Explorer
Downwindtracker2 wrote:
You are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. The cable if left dry will corrode , crack and break. In a short time I might add. Oh joy. So you have to lubricate it. Motorcycle chain lube works OK. But cable now can pick up dirt. Oh joy.

The cable should be stainless steel so it shouldn't corrode. If you use a dry lube like silicone spray it will not attract dirt like chain lube will.

Adam
2005 F150 5.4L

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Adam H wrote:
I can't seem to attach the Coleman lift system manuals I have in PDF here. Basically follow each cable from the crank area to the 4 posts and make sure the cable hasn't come off any of the pulleys. Lube each pulley with a dry lube like silicone spray (there are a few in the lift posts also). Lower the top all the way and remove the whiffle tree cover (by the crank) clean all the old dirt and grease off, re-lube with a heavy grease of your choice. Don't forget to spread a bunch of grease on the cover also and it is used as a slide. Check the wood inside there to see if the cable connection is somehow digging into the floor of the camper (it shouldn't) DO NOT operate the lift with that cover off...
Also, make sure to level the camper first, raise the roof, THEN put the stabilizers down. Putting the stabilizers down first "could" bind the lift system.
I believe the manuals are available on popupportal.com

Adam

Thanks Adam
I did it all and it is amazing how much easier it is to crank up now.

My wife could only take a few turns of the crank before because it was so hard, and I would have to stop three or four times to catch my breath.
Now I can get it right up with out stopping.

I am guessing that this is the first time the pulleys and system has been lubed

Many thanks agin,

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Adam H wrote:
I can't seem to attach the Coleman lift system manuals I have in PDF here. Basically follow each cable from the crank area to the 4 posts and make sure the cable hasn't come off any of the pulleys. Lube each pulley with a dry lube like silicone spray (there are a few in the lift posts also). Lower the top all the way and remove the whiffle tree cover (by the crank) clean all the old dirt and grease off, re-lube with a heavy grease of your choice. Don't forget to spread a bunch of grease on the cover also and it is used as a slide. Check the wood inside there to see if the cable connection is somehow digging into the floor of the camper (it shouldn't) DO NOT operate the lift with that cover off...
Also, make sure to level the camper first, raise the roof, THEN put the stabilizers down. Putting the stabilizers down first "could" bind the lift system.

Adam

Thanks, we'll try that

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
You are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. The cable if left dry will corrode , crack and break. In a short time I might add. Oh joy. So you have to lubricate it. Motorcycle chain lube works OK. But cable now can pick up dirt. Oh joy.
Adventure before dementia

Adam_H
Explorer
Explorer

Adam
2005 F150 5.4L