cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brake Calipers and pads burnt on toad

colladams
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from a short stay on Cape Cod in our 2002 Winnebago Brave. We tow my Honda CRV with a Blue OX and Patriot braking system. No issues on two short previous trips. This time when we unhooked the toad the brakes (just done one month ago) were gone. Mechanic stated that front brake calipers and pads were burnt up and needed to be replaced...back brakes were fine. The remote in the Winnie never showed that there was an error or that the brakes were engaged. We are heading XCountry on Thursday and need some insight into what might have caused this event and how to avoid a repeat on this long trip.
9 REPLIES 9

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check to see if you may have some flat spots on your tires. If the brakes were locked and you pulled the Honda, the tires may have taken a beating.

rognaree
Explorer
Explorer
This is apparently a common problem with later CRV's. Mine is a 2014 and the H in the 11th letter of the Vin suggests made in Canada. Wondering if yours is the same??

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
Make sure that there is no pressure on the pedal when not activated. Need some clearance. It is recommended to pump the pedal a few times while setting up to bleed out power vacuum. If vehicle is started after set up it will again need to have vacuum bled out by pumping pedal.

Sounds as if you have rear drum brakes and front disk.

I use a bungee cord to strap Brake Buddy to seat frame to keep it from moving around during travel...especially on rough roads.

I use the same method for my Silverado. It had a tendency to slid forward and could have applied pressure to the brakes without the controller activating the cylinder. I found it stayed in place better if I removed the floor mat, but that allowed some wear on the carpet, ergo the bungee cord.

From my experience, if the pads and calipers are gone and showing signs of overheating I would replace the rotors also. Chance of them not being warped are slim at best.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure that there is no pressure on the pedal when not activated. Need some clearance. It is recommended to pump the pedal a few times while setting up to bleed out power vacuum. If vehicle is started after set up it will again need to have vacuum bled out by pumping pedal.

Sounds as if you have rear drum brakes and front disk.

I use a bungee cord to strap Brake Buddy to seat frame to keep it from moving around during travel...especially on rough roads.

Ready2BRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Did you happen to start your vehicle after you set up the system? If you did it will clear the original brake pedal pressure setting and will cause your brakes to drag.

dangerbird
Explorer
Explorer
If the braking system was at fault, wouldn't the rear brakes be affected too? The OP stated the brakes were just done. A couple things to think about... Were the calipers taken apart and the slides lubed? Are the piston(s) clean so that they can retract properly? Were the calipers hung properly when removed?... not by the hoses. A well bled system will retract better than one with air in the lines.

Carl

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I built an "L" shaped platform for my brake buddy, two 18" ?? square sheets of plywood and two L brackets, carpet covered to set it on. made a nice flat/level/secure location for BB.
but to be safe one could plug a brake light into the toads receptacle and place it where it could be seen from the RV JIC.
bumpy

colladams
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know. We have now placed the braking controller in a crate that is modified to allow it to work freely. We are hoping that provides stability and limits movement.

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
One thing that can cause this is going around a corner sharply causing the box to move sideways.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S