cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seriou leak

gargoyle158
Explorer
Explorer
I think my toilet is leaking but I can't find the leak. the toilet is in the center of the damaged area but there is no water on top of the floor. It is only soaked subfloor. There is no water leaking from any of the pipe connections nor from the valve. There is no smell so I am assuming it is clean water. I think it is a city water problem because the pump does not cycle. I have a lot of repairs to do but it is useless until I repair the leak and I am on the road not expecting to be landed at a place I can work on it for about two months. Any ideas on how I can either blame the toilet or eliminate it as the source of my leak? I could replace the valve, the seal, the flange or the entire toilet but if that is not the source it is wasted effort, not including the money
11 REPLIES 11

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
hostage wrote:
Tinstar wrote:
I'd bet the leak is around that window. I had the same problem. I guess you know not to use silicone when you reinstall the window. Use the poly-butyl tape.

on contraire silicon works fine;; just harder to remove next time
a rubber foam window seal sticky one side works the very best
though

Much respect to you, but using silicone is a rookie mistake. It always cracks under UV light. A much better choice if you want to use a caulk gun is GE Climaclear which is RV approved. There are others too.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
How to make your signature so we can serve you better:

1. Log on and click "My Preferences".
2. On the "My Preferences" page click the middle box and enter your rig info.
3. Scroll to the bottom and click "Submit Changes"
4. Exit and you're done.

What make/type of toilet? There are several different kinds.

What year, make and model of RV?

Perhaps someone with the same RV has had the problem.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

hostage
Explorer
Explorer
Tinstar wrote:
I'd bet the leak is around that window. I had the same problem. I guess you know not to use silicone when you reinstall the window. Use the poly-butyl tape.

on contraire silicon works fine;; just harder to remove next time
a rubber foam window seal sticky one side works the very best
though

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

gargoyle158
Explorer
Explorer
OBVIOIUS STARTING PLACE WAS PUL THE TOILET AND REPLACE THE FOAM RING. dONE A LOT OF HOME PLUMBING SO THIS WAS AN EASY START. i EXAMINED THE FLOOR AROUND THE FLANGE AND THERE IS NOT ROT, NOTHING WET. i EXAMINED THE OLD RING AND IT WAS COMPRESSED EVENLY, NO STAINS, ETC. i REPLACED THE RING. i TESTED THE VALVE AND FITTING BOTH WITH PUMP AND CITY PRESSURE, NO LEAKS.
SO THE BAD NEWS, FOLLOWING THE LEAK BACK IT APPEARS TO COMING DOWN THE INSIDE OF AN EXTERIOR WALL. i WENT UP AND FOUND A COUPLE OF VERY SMALL CRACKS IN THE CAULK AND RESEALED THEM. HOWEVER I AM AFRAID I MAY HAVE CAUGHT THE LEAK TO LATE. THE FLOOR CLOSEST THE WALL THE SUB FLOOR IS WET, BLACK AND MUSHY. i DONT SEE ANY DELAMINATION OUTSIDE BUT SOME VERY VERY SMALL BLISTERS VERY LOW ON THE ENTERIOR. i HAVE A WINDOW RIGHT THERE SO i IMAGINE WHEN I GET SOME PLACE I WILL PULL THE WINDOW AND SEE WHAT IF ANYTHING I CAN DO FROM IN THERE. tHE FLOOR IS SHOT SO I WILL BE REPLACING THAT. BIGGEST ISSUE IS TRYING TO DRY THE WALL OUT.

THANKS FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would put some toilet paper under flush valve, and water fittings, flush several times and see if there is any water on the paper.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If you can't find dampness on the toilet itself in the area's others have detailed, your going to have to remove the commode and do a little exploring. 😞

hostage
Explorer
Explorer
gargoyle158 wrote:
I think my toilet is leaking but I can't find the leak. the toilet is in the center of the damaged area but there is no water on top of the floor. It is only soaked subfloor. There is no water leaking from any of the pipe connections nor from the valve. There is no smell so I am assuming it is clean water. I think it is a city water problem because the pump does not cycle. I have a lot of repairs to do but it is useless until I repair the leak and I am on the road not expecting to be landed at a place I can work on it for about two months. Any ideas on how I can either blame the toilet or eliminate it as the source of my leak? I could replace the valve, the seal, the flange or the entire toilet but if that is not the source it is wasted effort, not including the money

there is a air admittance vent one way valve on the toilets flush valve; it most likely leaks when you flush but when u release flush valve its shuts water off and wont leak ;; I say replace the water flush valve or flange seal depending on brand and style; mine has a pipe that sticks up and has a o-ring so it could never leak at the flange per say

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Could be the ring it sits on. First thing I'd do is pull toilet, put in new ring seal. Tap the floor with a light hammer to see if you have a large area of soft sub floor. It should sound solid.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It could be the water valve. Leaks when you flush.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Bruce_Brown
Is there any chance it's the vent leaking, with rain running down the outside of the vent pipe then pooling on top of the tank?

If that's not it I'd remove the toilet and take a good look around and see what I could find.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910