Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DTV 2nd Receiver

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I have DTV SD the little D-12 receiver

A while back I bought an identical receiver for a buck.
Yesterday I plugged it in,.....it seemed to work just fine,...the program guide came up,...... just needs a card and activation.

Question, before I call DTV and talking to people that are clueless, is there any advantage to activating my own receiver (I assume its not stolen) than getting a 2nd rec from them for .....what..6 bucks a mo ??
We RV more now, and tired of moving rec back and forth.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.
8 REPLIES 8

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Even if you own the receiver you still have to pay DTV $7/month to connect the receiver to your existing account as a 2nd receiver. There is no advantage to buying a receiver when DTV will give you one at no cost.

I hadnt noticed that. But we already had an old SD and took that off and added the HD, so maybe thats why I didnt notice it...

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless there is an unpaid balance on the receiver DTV will reactivate it without issue. You will need to get a new card and DTV usually charges $20 for that.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

uncle_t
Explorer
Explorer
you wasted a buck. DTV requires you to prove it is your receiver. if it is not yours in their system you are out of luck
2020 Integra 36U
can am spyder or can am commander
BE PREPARED- NEVER BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even if you own the receiver you still have to pay DTV $7/month to connect the receiver to your existing account as a 2nd receiver. There is no advantage to buying a receiver when DTV will give you one at no cost.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
A non DVR HD receiver is $99 new and you own it. Thats what I did for my seasonal. Comes with a card, just activate it.

Miles_Away
Explorer
Explorer
There are several independent companies (Winegard - SATPRO et al) out there that are Direct TV authorized dealers that sell "standard" (H-24) receivers for $99. They will not work on the SWYM system, only standard receivers (not High Def). All you have to do is provide them with your DTV account number and they will assist you in activating it.
M & M :C On the road again!
2007 GMC 3500-SRW-Duramax-longbed-4X4
2008 Keystone EVEREST 348R 5th wheel
2002 SUNDOWNER gooseneck horse trailer

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, there is no advantage other than you will not be able to get a D12 from them. The new receivers have no coax output so if that's what you need in your RV then use that. If you want to go to HD in the house ($10/month extra) then have them install a new HD setup there and use the existing D12 in the RV. You will pay the extra $6-7/month in both cases for a 2nd receiver.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Last I read DTV will discontinue SD service in 2019. Chat is recommended over calling.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman